Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

RTX 3070 TI or continue waiting for 3080 availability?

I am currently running an 8GB GTX 1070.  As I watch for RTX 3xxxx availability I see a possible opportunity to pick up an 8GB RTX 3070 TI.  Due to the type of flying I do I am still logging 70% of my hours in FSX SE with numerous addon enhancements.  And doing quite fine with the 1070.  As I wait for additional MSFS development and addon enhancements to better match the type of flying I do, I'd value opinions on whether I should at this time look toward an RTX 3070 TI or stick it out waiting (how much?) longer for a 10GB 3080.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I went from a 1070 to a 2080 8 gig. I'm happy with the performance increase and after having it for 2 years it is still excellent. I would suggest waiting for the 3080....you'll be more future proofed and get a longer useful life from the 3080. IMHO.

I give, what the h_ll is wrong w/ nVidia?  What planet are they serving?  They release yet another Ti w/ the same amount of VRAM as tons of other models, when all they needed to do what tack on another lousy 4Gb and then we'd have something worth getting excited about.  Absolutely unreal, and unfortunate.  This means we wait until they return to Earth and scramble again to compete against bots. I was holding out for 3080Ti, made it to BB at 5:50am, and there were already over 100 people there, and several tents!  

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

These are not normal times. When I see (very)young men sleeping outside the store for 24 hours so that they can be first to purchase one of only 64 video cards available at a Best Buy in Los Angeles, paying thousands of dollars so that they can play "Call of Duty", I am troubled.

I will stick to my 1060 until this silly bubble bursts.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

What I had hoped to do was pick up 3090 or 3080 Ti so that it really syncs well w/ the rest of my hardware as it's not too ideal to have mismatch going on in the basic parts.   I hope we see either become available again before the end of the year as I am one who keeps my builds for a good 5+ years, and I put this one together now about 15 months ago so the clock is ticking.  Advances on the CPU side remain quite slow in general, especially for less than optimally multithreaded apps like MSFS, will keep my 9900K a relavent for a while still.  Again, I just don't get the 8gb thing just goofy.  Even 10gb would have been a lot better for me, though nV shot themselves in the feet w/ their 3080 w/ only 10Gb.

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

45 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

MD and nVidia have new next gen GPUs coming out early 2022 when one can expect normal MSRP and availability.

Hi Rob,
I too have read that elsewhere and to me it sounds a lot about what was being said about Fall 2020 GPU releases!  Just saying.  Any particular information (rather than speculation)  out there about why it will return to normal in early 2022?

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

28 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

It's all speculation because it's predicting the future ... can't really avoid that when working with a topic of "waiting". 

AMD Zen 4 CPUs 5nm are slated for 2022.  AMD RDNA 3 GPUs are slated for end of 2021.  

Information source is from AMD Investor Presentation May 2021.  The specific PDF containing this information is presented under the "Investor Presentation" button.

As far as "return to normal" in terms of COVID and manufacturing Tech Monitor reported (sourced from GlobalData) that shortages will be "over its worst by the end of the year".  As far as long term there are still concerns but the US government under current leadership was/is very concerned over the reliance of TSMC and Samsung and hence a supported push to diversify fabrication and manufacturing within the US (Intel fabs being an important role from a manufacturing perspective) ... but that's a long term solution as Intel fab is less than 50% market capitalization relative to TSMC.  The problem is not being ignored, so that's a good direction to embrace.

As far as the trend of cryptocurrency and it's impact on demand, with the recent FBI recovery of 85% crypto from Colonial Pipeline ransom will certainly make it less attractive to criminal activity and that reflected in a sharp drop in cryptocurrency value ... when a currency's "value" drops because of recovery (a good thing happens and it has a bad effect on a the currency's value) that does (as it should) send a warning sign to everyone involved in cryptocurrency from miners to criminals to honest investors.  As presented in this article on digital currency from MIT, it's has many security issues.

In summary, long term diversification is key, for short term a returning work force and declining demand (CPU/GPUs are still being produced and deployed worldwide so demand will eventually be met), and Crypto is a cyclic diversion.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob,
Honestely that is anout 1,000 more than what I genuinely asked for.  Just sayin.....

Frank Patton
ASUS 

I am also waiting to see if DX12 generates any extra VRAM requirements. Not yet convinced 12Gb will be enough. 

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

On 6/10/2021 at 6:11 AM, fppilot said:

I am currently running an 8GB GTX 1070.  As I watch for RTX 3xxxx availability I see a possible opportunity to pick up an 8GB RTX 3070 TI.  Due to the type of flying I do I am still logging 70% of my hours in FSX SE with numerous addon enhancements.  And doing quite fine with the 1070.  As I wait for additional MSFS development and addon enhancements to better match the type of flying I do, I'd value opinions on whether I should at this time look toward an RTX 3070 TI or stick it out waiting (how much?) longer for a 10GB 3080.

I'm happy with what I have. It's running all 3 Sims without issue. Very great frames and picture perfect image. Why spend thousands on something just to say you have one and there's nothing available out there to test it on.

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

On 6/12/2021 at 2:19 AM, DescendDescend said:

I am also waiting to see if DX12 generates any extra VRAM requirements. Not yet convinced 12Gb will be enough. 

My sense is it will be enough, IF you're doing 1440p or lower.  And for me, 4K is a waste of CPU & GPU capability for what you get and that has a lot to do w/ the native resolution of textures in MSFS and the other sims for that matter.  If terrain textures aren't razor sharp it does you very little good to parse that into finer resolution as you're still stuck w/ the native resolution of the textures themselves. Xbox One X has 12Gb, but only 9Gb are accessible as VRAM per se thru their shared memory architecture.  Xbox Series X will sport up to 13.5Gb, but again only part of that is actually used as VRAM.  Right now, I'm almost always fine everywhere w/ 8Gb in my 2070 Super, but will somewhat regularly need to dial back Vol Clouds to High from Ultra as I approach 100% utilization and 8Gb of VRAM utilization, but often I'm not that close to those limits.  I'd upgrade just to not have to stop and do this.  A 3080 Ti sounds good enough.  If I found a FE edition of either it or 3090 I'd go there provided the prices were much more reasonable than eBay's.

Edited by Noel

Noel

2 hours ago, Bigmack said:

I'm happy with what I have. It's running all 3 Sims without issue. Very great frames and picture perfect image. Why spend thousands on something just to say you have one and there's nothing available out there to test it on.

Bill--what's an 'RTX 6020 Ti', in your sig?

Noel

On 6/16/2021 at 2:03 PM, Noel said:

Bill--what's an 'RTX 6020 Ti', in your sig?

Hey there Noel. sometimes my dyslexia kicks in when you thought that you typed one thing and you actually typed something else. Good catch. It should have 2080 TI.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

You can find 3080 3080ti and the 3090 in stock in the UK and have been for more than a couple of weeks, But at inflated prices with china dumping mining cards on the market in time this will change my take a few more months if you hold out.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I read the so called chip shortage is indeed starting to resolve, at least insofar as the auto industry is concerned.

Noel