Sign in to follow this  
1st fltsimguy

Is There a Cure for Light Contrast Like This

hJKKMnd.jpgAFSQJgS.jpgOne thing I'm not happy with in MS2020 is that contrast in lighting when looking down into the cockpit.  The scene out the window bleaches out to light up the cockpit, then when one looks up there is a fade in so that the view out the window looks better.  However, then the cockpit goes darkened.

Is there a cure for this behaviour?  here are views both north and south same place, same altitude, 11am near Port Hardy BC.

Bryan

AFSQJgS.jpg

hJKKMnd.jpg

• Like 2

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

I don't think so...it's the HDR or something.  It's highly overdone in video games....  obviously our eyes are a lot faster at adjusting.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I think it has something to do with the time of day you fly, high noon being the best, as well as sunrise ands sunset

all with clear skies

Edited by peppy197

2 hours ago, peppy197 said:

I think it has something to do with the time of day you fly, high noon being the best, as well as sunrise ands sunset

all with clear skies

What I found was that sunrise, sunset produce the least effect but of course one needs to then turn on some cockpit lighting.

Or, heavy clouds.

But I still would like to tone this effect down during the day.

• Like 1

Near CAM3

Totally agree, the effect needs to be toned down. I feel the same about this. Sometimes when I have the camera aimed between the cockpit window and at my gauges, I find that the sky is all washed out and I can't see any details, so I have to shift my camera all the way up, but then I lose sight of my glass panels and gauges. Really hope there is a way to change this or have Asobo give us some sort of slider.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I was thinking of making a post on this exact subject last week. I find it extremely annoying and don't see a setting that would make it go away. 

• Like 2

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

10 minutes ago, reignman40 said:

I was thinking of making a post on this exact subject last week. I find it extremely annoying and don't see a setting that would make it go away. 

Me neither, and its driving me nuts.  I have bound my hat switch for quick and easy looking around, and now this light changing has become annoying.  I don't know if there is anything that can be done, hence my inquiry.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Near CAM3

Its a real effect, the problem is the game simulates it with head movement. If my screen is set to see cockpit and sky, I can shift my eyes to focus on either, but the sim will only use the proper HDR lighting for one.

This effect can only be done right with an eye tracker. Implemented the current way is just an annoyance at best, unrealistic at worse.

• Like 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

I have to add my vote of annoyance here too. It's a really poor (cheesy) implementation of what our eyes do naturally and nigh-on instantly. It should either be dumped altogether or made to be toggle-able in user settings.

• Like 1

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

19 minutes ago, WestAir said:

Its a real effect, the problem is the game simulates it with head movement. If my screen is set to see cockpit and sky, I can shift my eyes to focus on either, but the sim will only use the proper HDR lighting for one.

This effect can only be done right with an eye tracker. Implemented the current way is just an annoyance at best, unrealistic at worse.

Exactly. With out eye tracking the result is the exact opposite to how the eye works.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

4 hours ago, Sticky said:

isn't there a .cfg file that disables some of the lighting features?

Yes there is.

From memory UserCFG file in  Users/YourName/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft Flight Simulator

Adaptive eye something...

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

2 hours ago, gboz said:

Yes there is.

From memory UserCFG file in  Users/YourName/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft Flight Simulator

That fix works great  - thanks! Set EyeAdaptation = 1 to 0 (it's in two places). My path to UserCfg.opt is in Packages/Localcache (MS Store version):

• Like 5

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

3 hours ago, gboz said:

Yes there is.

Thank you, it makes a world of difference for my equipment and my vision.

• Like 3