Sign in to follow this  
canadiantree

How has sim update 5 affected your experience?

How has sim update 5 affected your experience?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. How has sim update 5 affected your experience?

• Slightly higher FPS, same or better visuals
    • Much higher FPS, same or better visuals
    • Much higher FPS, but lower visual quality
    • Slightly higher FPS, but lower visual quality
    • No change whatsoever

After a few flights I can confirm I've definitely seen a performance improvement, although not as much as I'd hoped this is probably attributable to my 10 year old processor with only 4 cores, which it is now fully utilising. I haven't had aissues with building or tree pop-in, noticed it a handful of times but only because I went looking for it and deliberately triggered it. The update has enabled me to turn my LOD radius up quite a bit and retain smooth gameplay. I also like the new switch control system as it makes manipulating controls more intuitive and easier in rough weather and manouvering - the key assignments were already done so it worked out the box.

The issues I do have:

• The lighting is bloody horrible, it's a bloomfest, everything is too bright, things are washed out. Don't understand why this has been done, apparently it works well on HDR but there's an HDR option so why can't HDR lighting be enabled under that only? Hardly anyone has HDR monitors, so it penalises the masses for a few. For now I've taken to adjusting the useropt.cfg (EyeAdaptation 0, ColorGrading 0, Sharpen 0) but it's still not ideal, should be an easy fix for Asobo though.
  • Non-custom 3D building detail has declined noticeably, presumably this is one way they got the performance up. It's not the end of the world but I don't see removing a few details achieves much performance gain. The actual buildings in many places have changed, and in the UK they are seemingly less accurate/appropriate and the colours aren't as pleasing.
  • Seems we've gone back to having trees in places they aren't in reality
  • The new particle effects from the gear when operating on grass look wrong, both colour and form.

All the drama I've read in other threads such as "the sim is ruined" and "omg pop up every where" does not match my experience. With the increased LOD I can now have the sim looks better and is a bit smoother too, it's just a shame about the lighting getting messed up.

12 hours ago, Baz2742 said:

Yes, I have slightly improved FPS but have been unable to complete a flight yet without a CTD !!!  I have completely emptied my Community folder but it still happens. 

AI traffic is all over the place. Three taking off at the same time, others taxiing over grassed areas. 

Tomorrow I will try again with all traffic off.

It's known issue that AI traffic (whether in-built or live from the internet) can cause CTD, hopefully disabled cures your issue

11 hours ago, lambourne said:

Since installing the update this morning I've had 3 CTDs and the game's locked up and frozen on me another 5 times... twice while loading flights and once, the final time, after ~5 minutes in the A32NX cockpit at Gatwick with the freeware scenery mod and 'all players' enabled. (Yes that was a torture test but framerates were in the 50s before it locked up)

Sounds like you're throwing a lot of addons at SU5 that potentially aren't verified to work with it, I know for certain the FBW A320 you need to be using the version on the dev channel, the stable release does not work properly. I had a couple of CTDs initially, one during loading I never explained, the other two related to the TheFrett's G36 mod and WT's G1000; by removing the first and updating the latter I've had no issues since. I've also got WT's G1000NX for free off in-game store. I did have a weird glitch where propellers weren't spinning on any aircraft, I put that down to a dodgy mod, removed it, restarted the sim, problem gone.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

5 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

The issues I do have:

• The lighting is bloody horrible, it's a bloomfest, everything is too bright, things are washed out. Don't understand why this has been done, apparently it works really well on HDR but there's an HDR option so why can't HDR lighting be enabled under that only? Hardly anyone has HDR monitors, so it penalises the masses for a few. For now I've taken to adjusting the useropt.cfg but it's still not ideal, should be an easy fix for Asobo though.
  • Auto 3D building detail has declined noticeably, presumably this is one way they got the performance up. It's not the end of the world but I don't see as removing a few details achieves much performance gain. The actual buildings in many places have changed, and in the UK they are seemingly less accurate/appropriate.
  • Seems we've gone back to having trees in places they aren't in reality
  • The new particle effects from the gear when operating on grass look wrong, both colour and form.

I don't think the lighting issue was intentional, I think it's likely a bug that is ignoring the config value. I think they accidentally overwrote some stuff that they intended to keep separate, or they were rushed and decided to leave it as-is.

I agree about the autogen clarity, it has dropped quite a bit, as well as the ground textures have been affected at some LOD's, maybe not all. The grass renders differently now as well.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

I will be short : It's the CTD fiesta...

Intel i9 - GPU RTX 3080 - 32 gig RAM HyperX Fury DDR 4

Well with my medium specced pc, Core i7 5960x, GTX 980SC and 1080p, I was able to change settings from medium to high..it was pretty smooth and fps locked at 30fps with V-sync on.

I did a test flight with the FBW A320NX Dev version from LFPO (Pyreegue's scenery) to EGPH (ORBX) without live weather and AI traffic...it went so smooth except that I had the GPWS giving a "Terrain Terrain" below 1000ft which hasn't happened before SU5

One issue happened is that I lost connection to the servers and after the flight I noticed the Marketplace menu got greyed out and I when I click on my profile I can it says "Status Offline" and I can't see the different servers and their pings as it was before the update and so far no CTD's for me. I emptied the community folder prior to the update.

1 hour ago, Seven7 said:

I will be short : It's the CTD fiesta...

try to find out the cause, only the ai traffic one is a real ctd.

check your addons and paid 3rd party stuff.

Hm, no... I don't have ai traffic enabled and I don't use addons, excepted the PMDG DC-6 (and I did not flied with her after the maj). Before this maj, i never had a ctd.

Intel i9 - GPU RTX 3080 - 32 gig RAM HyperX Fury DDR 4

Good performance. However CTDs left and right. Trying to find the cause but as of yet failed miserably at that. 

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Just now, Swe_Richard said:

Good performance. However CTDs left and right. Trying to find the cause but as of yet failed miserably at that. 

There are also suggestions out there to take a look at hardware temps.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I have over 500 airports ranging from freeware to payware. I've been running the sim vanilla and havent had a ctd yet. Once my addons get updated, I'll put them back

8 hours ago, ckyliu said:

Sounds like you're throwing a lot of addons at SU5 that potentially aren't verified to work with it, I know for certain the FBW A320 you need to be using the version on the dev channel, the stable release does not work properly. I had a couple of CTDs initially, one during loading I never explained, the other two related to the TheFrett's G36 mod and WT's G1000; by removing the first and updating the latter I've had no issues since. I've also got WT's G1000NX for free off in-game store. I did have a weird glitch where propellers weren't spinning on any aircraft, I put that down to a dodgy mod, removed it, restarted the sim, problem gone.

Nope, that was the latest dev version of the FBW A320. If it wasn't going to work at all I would have expected it to CTD or lock on startup, not to do that only after several minutes.

I'm going to try deleting the WT G1000NX and the MB339 - clearing the community folder completely still doesn't result in a working flight. It's getting to the point where either I reinstall MSFS from scratch or I shelve the game altogether until Asobo organise themselves and issue a hotfix. I'm honestly surprised they managed to bodge this update so badly, judging by the numbers of others posting here and on the official forums about freezes and CTDs. Perhaps their laser focus on Xbox hardware performance meant they didn't bother looking at the PC beta feedback before release.

i7-10700K; RTX 2070 Super; 16GB; P3Dv4.5HF3 & MSFS2020.

OK, as this might help others in my situation...

I said I cleared out the community folder and that didn't help. What I'd forgotten was that I was doing this through MSFS Addons Linker. In fact I still had Navigraph's charts and navdata addon installed. I think that may have been the big culprit for my constant CTDs and freezes.

Stripping out Navigraph, the MB339, the G1000NX and turning off live traffic gave me a stable sim all of a sudden. Turning live traffic on again has so far worked OK. Adding in the G1000NX has worked OK. I can't imagine the MB339 (which I haven't yet flown) would have an impact on its own.

That leaves the Navigraph addon, either charts or navdata. In the spirit of keeping my sanity and enjoying the game I'm going to leave both uninstalled for now.

In the spirit of what this thread was originally about, I'm seeing some seriously high reported (Nvidia overlay, not dev mode) framerates - in the mid-80s with the C172/G1000 parked at a relatively quiet GA airfield. But I'm worried about the load on my GPU: even with gfx set to medium and running in 2K, I'm still in mid-70s temps. That used to be the case if I ran ultra high at 4K on the previous build.

i7-10700K; RTX 2070 Super; 16GB; P3Dv4.5HF3 & MSFS2020.