Sign in to follow this  
neil0311

My observations and lack of issues

I debated whether to post this or not, so let me stress that this is just my experience and not meant to be commentary on anything else. I’m not a “word not allowed” (um…OK…we have banned words??? Rhymes with Man-Toy) and I’m not trying to prove anything to anyone. The fact that my experience is so vastly different from others is key to the underlying issue that there are so many possible variable configurations on PC.

I have an i9-9900K overclocked to 5GHz with 32GB of RAM and multiple SSD drives. I use a TrackIR 5 and my video is 4K with an nVidia RTX2080Ti (latest drivers) driving it. I use the “high-end” preset options in MSFS, and do not use any VR. I also have no add 3rd party ons installed. None. No aircraft and no scenery. My “community” folder is empty. 

I’ve done some quick flights since the major update last week, and took a quick on after the hotfix, but this morning I went a little more in depth. I’m not trying to compare what I see now versus what I saw 6 months ago, or any of those (what I consider) useless and subjective comparisons.

I flew the default C172 from KRYY in real time weather and traffic. Took a 30 min flight south past ATL and around the north GA area. Got 45 fps pretty consistently. No stutters, no pauses, no CTDs. TrackIR was fluid and I was able to pan, look back, look over the nose, and look at the panel as I usually do.

Maybe the colors were more washed out, but honestly, living in the southeastern US, this time of year when you fly, you get a lot of haze. The flight seemed to represent that better. The feeling of haziness was better than previously. Now, is that by design or just coincidence? Not sure.

So could there be a downgrade of quality somewhere, sure. Do I really notice it? I don’t. Maybe that’s just me. I’d much rather have the smooth 45 fps performance that I got. And again…no CTDs, so maybe that’s my underlying Windows 10 setup or a lack of add ons, or the fact that I’m using “high” and not “ultra”…no idea.

But for me…the sim is not only usable, but fine. I know that will annoy some, but it’s my experience. My only issue was loading the update, I got thrown off the server and had to wait and try again. Since then…no real issues.

I hope the other issues folks are having get resolved quickly.

Edited by neil0311
  • Like 25
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, neil0311 said:

So could there be a downgrade of quality somewhere, sure. Do I really notice it? I don’t. Maybe that’s just me. I’d much rather have the smooth 45 fps performance that I got. And again…no CTDs, so maybe that’s my underlying Windows 10 setup or a lack of add ons, or the fact that I’m using “high” and not “ultra”…no idea.

But for me…the sim is not only usable, but fine. I know that will annoy some, but it’s my experience.

Well, look now, the reason why you are satisfied is because you are a simpleton with a weak pc, who really doesn't ask much of MSFS; in contrast to the ultra-uber-sophisticated critics, whose discerning eyes and keen instincts won't even let the slightest misstep by Asobo go unnoticed. 

(in case you're wondering, this was irony/sarcasm)

• Like 9

Or that their controls no longer work…but that is asking too much and being “discerning”

Also, didn’t have any of the textures “popping” or LOD issues. So willing to be told it’s something in my configuration, but if so, it works. 👍

3 minutes ago, DylanM said:

Or that their controls no longer work…but that is asking too much and being “discerning”

My controls worked as they always have. So again…am I special? Or is it configurational? 

I have the Logitech Flight Yoke System with Logitech rudder pedals.

Again…if this software was just “broken” as some contend, then everyone would have relatively similar issues. We don’t.

I’m willing to accept that I’m just a simple General Aviation pilot, and that’s the reason, but the fact remains that I read the descriptions of the issues experienced by other users and wonder what application they’re describing. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, neil0311 said:

We don’t.

You don’t - but many others do (as per the bug reports and tickets on the official forums). Yes there isn’t one base issue that is affecting everyone, but this is a symptom of broader issues that aren’t down to “user error” or simpletonism.

Edit: What we may be seeing is an issue where settings are getting reset to a lower level incorrectly (i.e. the UI shows Ultra but is actually running at low / medium). This may be exactly the source of the frustration.

Edited by DylanM

You didnt notice that now ground textures are drawing at a much shorter distance ?,  In my case before the update I could see much more realistic far distance objects

5 minutes ago, DylanM said:

You don’t - but many others do (as per the bug reports and tickets on the official forums). Yes there isn’t one base issue that is affecting everyone, but this is a symptom of broader issues that aren’t down to “user error” or simpletonism

I’ve read other users saying they don’t have the same issues either.

And I never said anything about user error and acknowledged those users having issues are having real issues. But there are users like me who don’t post and aren’t having issues. Again…what’s the common thread? GA flying? No add ons? 8 core CPU? 32 GB of RAM? High and not ultra settings? 

I’m trying to offer info. But it’s much easier to rant than calmly review the situation. I get it.

Edited by neil0311
  • Like 2

The renderer was globally changed though, but it may be hard to see the reduction on a sharp PC monitor. It's very easy to see it on a projector, especially if you are flying in an area that had the highest fidelity of aerial imagery, say like parts of WV or around big cities like maybe Denver.

It's not a huge deal IMO if you are in cockpit view, but when I go out in either developer camera mode or drone view and get 300 feet or lower or if I go very high in altitude, the differences are pretty big. The trees appear lower resolution as well, both far away and closer up. If I get very high or very low in altitude, I can see quite the difference.

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

9 minutes ago, solito said:

You didnt notice that now ground textures are drawing at a much shorter distance ?,  In my case before the update I could see much more realistic far distance objects

Nope. Not saying that’s not what’s happening, but don’t notice it, if so. No blurry or popping textures. No stuttering or waiting for textures to load.

So can I tell if the radius is now X versus Y…nope. It might be, but hasn’t changed my experience at all. That’s all I can tell you. I know it doesn’t help people who are experiencing crashes. 

Edited by neil0311
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

The rendered was globally changed though, but it is hard to see the reduction on a sharp PC monitor. It's very easy to see it on a projector, especially if you are flying in an area that had the highest fidelity of aerial imagery, say like parts of WV or around big cities like maybe Denver.

It's not a huge deal IMO if you are in cockpit view, but when I get out in either developer camera mode or drone view and get 300 feet or lower above the ground, the differences are pretty big. The trees appear lower resolution as well, both far away and closer up.

I’ll give that a test later today. I only fly in the virtual cockpit with the TrackIR, so maybe there are more visible issues in other views (although those don’t affect my ability to fly as I do 99.999% of the time). If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, neil0311 said:

Do I really notice it? I don’t.

many have purchased lots of addons, costing more than MSFS itself. Do they really notice when MSFS crashes and pc shuts down? probably.

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

Just now, neil0311 said:

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Yes, because that sound wave perpetuated a discretely measurable and semi-permanent density change in the moist moss nearby which could possibly be recorded by precision equipment 🙂

• Like 2

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

Good for you, have fun

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

13 minutes ago, neil0311 said:

I’ve read other users saying they don’t have the same issues either.

And I never said anything about user error and acknowledged those users having issues are having real issues. But there are users like me who don’t post and aren’t having issues. Again…what’s the common thread? GA flying? No add ons? 8 core CPU? 32 GB of RAM? High and not ultra settings? 

I’m trying to offer info. But it’s much easier to rant than calmly review the situation. I get it.

Thanks for sharing your info - again the frustration isn’t with you. The issue is we’re trying to find solutions to a multitude of issues that aren’t consistent across the user base and recently-introduced with SU5.

I mostly fly GA too and ran on close-to ultra settings on my machine - unfortunately the control issues and visual degradation are noticeable.

• Like 1