Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

SU5 Graphiics Tweaks video

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Let me save you all 14:30 of your lives:

LOD (both) set to 5.0 in UserCfg.opt

Change:

Filmgrain 1

to

Filmgrain 0

Enjoy.

Optional (I don't like the way the sim looks with these changes YMMV):

EyeAdaptation 0

ColorGrading 0

Sharpen 0

Edited by badgenes
Optional Changes:
  • Like 14
  • Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, badgenes said:

Let me save you all 14:30 of your lives

Not all heroes wear capes

• Like 7

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Kinda reminds me of the FSX days, endless tweaking to get the look one likes.  Remember the fiber frame, LOD radius and such.

These things should be changeable via a simple interface in my view.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

19 minutes ago, badgenes said:

Let me save you all 14:30 of your lives:

<snipped>

Thank you!

I spotted the "film grain" setting today, during my first ever exploration of the userCfg file..... immediately noticed I preferred that turned off.    I too don't like the 'Sharpen' set to '0' but I did notice that doing so, and then setting Nvidia Control Panel's native sharpen setting on, yields pretty good results.

Edited by JYW

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

People bust open the cfg files and start plugging their own numbers in and then wonder why they're getting CTDs...

But of course it's all Xbox's fault!

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

3 minutes ago, Tom Wright said:

People bust open the cfg files and start plugging their own numbers in and then wonder why they're getting CTDs...

Well people are people, but i for one waited until I had done 4-5 hours of pure flying without a CTD before I touched any configs.

LOD 5 does sound kind of high, but I didn't test it, on 3 right now.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

There is something else going on as well. I am wondering if Bing maps have problems with the bandwidth towards Asobo.

This is FL280 a few hours ago just north of Denver LOD 200:

lod1.png

This is over Norway just now. Also LOD 200 and FL280:

lod2.png

I first thought that the Denver scene was because of the LOD setting, and I change it to 400. That made me have crisp ground textures up to FL400.

But when I tested over Norway a bit later on LOD 200 I am still having crisp ground textures way above FL300.

I am not sure what is causing this, but could these difference be the reason for why people are reporting so different experiences with SU5?

Remember to click on the screenshots to load them in full size to see the difference.

EDIT: I just teleported myself to KJFK and again the ground textures looks horrible. 

lod3.png

Edited by espent
Added another photo
  • Like 1

// 5800X3D // RTX 3090 // 64GB RAM // HP REVERB G2 //

27 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

Isn't LOD 5 kind of high?

I have it on 3 right now...

Agreed - just checked and saw it is set to 1 !

Changed to 3.... worth a shot

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

28 minutes ago, Tom Wright said:

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure cfg changes do not cause CTDs. I've been one of the lucky few since SU5, no CTDs except when I click to actually exit the game (express quit option? no problem there). I didn't even empty my community folder honestly, and still no CTDs. Graphical degradation, definitely 100% though. I've found 4.0 LOD a nice sweet spot which brings it back to SU4-esque quality. There is still shimmering and all that from the reduced anti aliasing, and adding this LOD did add some stutters when switching views but honestly I would rather live with that and have a full landscape.

What does filmgrain even do?  And vignette is set??

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

42 minutes ago, Tom Wright said:

If it wasn't for the X-Box release, then we wouldn't have to mess with these settings. They have always worked for me pre SU5.

• Like 2

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

11 minutes ago, lownslow said:

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure cfg changes do not cause CTDs. 

Right, it probably wouldn't under normal circumstances unless someone set everything way too high it might, hard to say for sure though. Of course a typo in the file could theoretically cause it, but it may all be validated first and be error proof. 

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram