Sign in to follow this  
mick92627

Do I really need rudder pedals? I go back and forth on that

I use Saitek Rudder Pedals. Apart from the large size of them, which is annoying under a desk, they are very good. But a usable alternative to rudder pedals is a throttle lever with a paddle control on the front of it, which many HOTAS system throttles have. If you get one of those you will find that works very well as a rudder control and is in fact pretty intuitive. Twist functions on a main stick are not good for rudder control because they make it hard to have the twist rudder inputs not accidentally interfere with elevator and aileron inputs as they inevitably will do; a twist function rudder is better than nothing of course, but only just better than nothing.

Rudder pedals are the way to go if you fly for real or are considering taking it up because they replicate the real control surface inputs and the real brake inputs too.

• Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I have the pretty expensive Thrustmaster TPR pedals, and I love those.

I have retired my Saiteks, they just wore out, I rebuilt them twice.

I also have a pair of VBK's they are great in Helicopters, they are like real anti torque pedals (what is in small helis, no toe brakes.

If you fly real planes or want it to feel like you are flying a real plane, pedals are a must. In Helis even more so. But there are many more reasons to fly, so if you feel you don't need them, don't get them.

It is not called stick & rudder skill for nothing.

VBK's on the left and TPR's on the right in this photo:

You may also notice I have separate yoke and joystick, for different types of planes and different throttle controls L&R depending on what I am flying. I also have separate VBK side stick for the A320.

222344289_6485719058120539_3501321269474

Edited by 177B
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

14 minutes ago, 177B said:

I have the pretty expensive Thrustmaster TPR pedals, and I love those.

I have retired my Saiteks, they just wore out, I rebuilt them twice.

I also have a pair of VBK's they are great in Helicopters, they are like real anti torque pedals (what is in small helis, no toe brakes.

If you fly real planes or want it to feel like you are flying a real plane, pedals are a must. In Helis even more so. But there are many more reasons to fly, so if you feel you don't need them, don't get them.

VBK's on the left and TPR's on the right in this photo:

You may also notice I have separate yoke and joystick, for different types of planes and different throttle controls L&R depending on what I am flying. I also have separate VBK side stick for the A320.

222344289_6485719058120539_3501321269474

That is quite a rig you have there. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 minute ago, Bobsk8 said:

👍

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

True, but it isn't called stick and foot pedals.

• Like 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

5 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

How can you make a crosswind landing for one thing? 

Ask an Ercoupe pilot. 😉

I used to have the CH rudder redals and they were alright. Nothing special but more comfortable than a twist stick. After that I had the TWCS throttle which was pretty crappy. For both of these rudder pedals sets I think I'd have been okay just using the twist stick.

After I fell in love with DCS Huey a year ago I bought the T-Flight rudder pedals from VKB. I think these are essentially entry level high end, but wow they make a difference. They're pin point precise, metal, and take up less space than both the previous sets. I wouldn't bother flying without them now, because they add so much to the experience.

I think what I'm trying to say is, it's not that rudder pedals are important, it's that good rudder pedals are important. And like TrackIR, you don't know what you're missing til you've tried it.

Hope that helps :)

I use these https://flightsimcontrols.com/product/vkb-sim-t-rudder-pedals-mk-iv-2/  they have no brake function, but the quality is absolutely superb, all in metal, the price is also affordable, I brake with an axis lever on my Bravo throttle, works great.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

5 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

. If these ever die, I am going to go back to CH pedals. 

I need to have my old Saiteks meet an untimely end.  Any tips on doing that?

I'm sort of kidding, but I do think part of the problem with MSFS over-exuberant yawing may be because my rudder pedals are old, not very precise, and about half worn-out.  The right side toe brake still works, but it lost its spring about a year ago.  I bet if I took it apart the spring would be laying in there somewhere.  Or it could even be a rubber/nylon band or something like that.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

4 hours ago, FlyingInACessna said:

Late to the party, but how could you fly without rudder pedals? The rudder is one of the three primary flight controls! I have the Saitek / Logitech pro flight rudder pedals & they work great.

I’ve never flown in any sim with rudder pedals. The twist grip on some joy sticks is sufficient as is the key board > left / right. 

4 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Can't imagine that ever working properly. 

Not many threads back I was being ridiculed saying Xbox controls are for gamers and not realistic. I recall everybody was saying no, and like the airbus etc etc etc, the Xbox controller is a genuine flight control mechanism. 

Now you’re all saying it’s not? 

46 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

I use these https://flightsimcontrols.com/product/vkb-sim-t-rudder-pedals-mk-iv-2/  they have no brake function, but the quality is absolutely superb, all in metal, the price is also affordable, I brake with an axis lever on my Bravo throttle, works great.

How to you do left or right brake differential   for directional control on landing and taxiing? 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

How to you do left or right brake differential   for directional control on landing and taxiing? 

I have never felt that I need left or right brake differential, all aircraft steer fine just by press the rudders.

• Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

25 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

I have never felt that I need left or right brake differential, all aircraft steer fine just by press the rudders.

In the sim maybe. But not in a real plane. Even a 172 needs the brakes to turn really tight, like on a small taxi way to do runup into the wind.

• Like 1

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

Lived without rudder pedals for many years and it never bothered me in the slightest.

Got some this year.  Now if I didn't have them I wouldn't bother flying any more!

Not sure what planes Ixoye is flying but I use differential braking for turning in loads of planes.   Very useful.