Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Hey... guys... come now, they're on holidays...

2 hours ago, Janov said:

Ah, ok. Well, the reason is probably that techniques and workflow are completely different for different simulators, and to develop the Saab for DCS or MSFS would mean to learn the respective technology and develop the aircraft "from scratch" for each of those platforms. There is basically no "porting" between those platforms.

It would make sense to develop for MSFS in the economical aspect - but it would make even more sense to make colored funny hats to wear in Fortnite.

Exactly. Each platform requires its own set of skills, and it is definitely hard to master all as a developer. Either case, it is yet another reason to have all flight simulators: Being able to use high-fidelity exclusive add-ons for each.

Edited by BiologicalNanobot
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

8 hours ago, GoranM said:

I've had a look at FG, but, let's just say it wasn't for me.

I think we can all agree it's not as mainstream as the big 3 (X-Plane, DCS and MSFS)

Aerofly FS2 is not as "deep" as XP but they have a better and more efficient graphics engine with much better performance than XP, and which was also recently converted to Vulkan.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Greazer said:

Aerofly FS2 is not as "deep" as XP but they have a better and more efficient graphics engine with much better performance than XP, and which was also recently converted to Vulkan.

So it sits in the same space as MSFS:

jGLv1P8.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

AutoATC Developer

31 minutes ago, Greazer said:

That's exactly why it has better performance than ANY flight sim.  It's nowhere near as deep as anything else available.  It has nothing to do with a "more efficient graphics engine".  

Edited by GoranM
  • Like 3

Are the mods going to do there job, was going so well.

Multicore multi thread, my explanation of multi threading is like having many races running at the same time, and than you have to determine the final contestant before the races have started. Was so funny to watch gamers doing demos with 16core 32 thread cpus when 6 or 8 or doing a little and the rest are barely moving. How many have bitten into that one.

Multi threading is available for the Flight Model - By Austin Meyers

Nine Mothers can't make a baby - By Ben.  

Ben has clearly said that Multithreading is not an easy task and will take time , Opengl multi threading is not good , just because Vulkan is implemented does not mean multi threading is ready.  Only the FM is multi threaded

Vulkan Multithreading will be enhanced in the new version of XP.

@Greazer get your system checked or move all the plugins and start with the default plane / scenery , am on a 10 year old AMD Fx 4300 and a RX 550 2GB and my XP pulls nearly 25-40 fps in any condition. Mind you no stutters at all which has Z17 Orthos and I use only high DEM for mountains. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

@Humpty, there is nothing wrong with Greazers system or X-Plane performance.  I've seen some of his videos, purely for the purpose to see what kind of performance issues he has.  Smooth as silk comes to mind.  

Example

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, GoranM said:

@Humpty, there is nothing wrong with Greazers system or X-Plane performance.  I've seen some of his videos, purely for the purpose to see what kind of performance issues he has.  Smooth as silk comes to mind.  

Example

Yeah looks smooth

I optimize everything as much as possible including with LUA scripts to improve LOD etc. It is "smooth" enough meaning I get at least 30 fps which is okay, but things can always be better (higher settings / higher fps).  Last time I fired up AFS2 I remember getting well over 200 fps.  That's without tweaking!

43 minutes ago, Greazer said:

I optimize everything as much as possible including with LUA scripts to improve LOD etc. It is "smooth" enough meaning I get at least 30 fps which is okay, but things can always be better (higher settings / higher fps).  Last time I fired up AFS2 I remember getting well over 200 fps.  That's without tweaking!

you answered your own question.

XP has higher far LOD.

Who misinformed you the difference was multithreading?

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

I don't use any of these LOD scripts , yes due to the AMD recent drivers for W10 my XP gets cramps but in Linux it runs great  ,  AFS2 otoh has a lot of things not being done I believe ?  AFS2 is probably multithreading. 

Well,

although I seldom used AEFS2, and eventually closed my Steam account because together with XP11 and FSX these were the only games I had there and wasn't really interested running them through Steam any longer, truth is AEFS2 surely has several strong points.

I believe it also has it's shortcomings regarding for instance the implementation of sophisticated systems - developers are restricted to a limited library in order to build their cockpits.

The flight dynamics model adopted by IPACS has some advantages over X-Plane and MFS. I believe that IF XP or MFS followed some of it's ideas, or AEFS implemented some of the stuff already available more in XP than in MFS, we could probably get an even more satisfying experience.

I never tried the helicopters in AEFS2,  but some users, with RW helicopter hands-on experience tell me they're very good !

The approach used by Flight Unlimited, FU2 and then FU3 in terms of flight dynamics reminds me a lot of the AEFS approach, and t was really a pleasant experience - probably my preferred flightsim ( flight dynamics wise ) for some years since I bought the first DOS version around 1995. They modelled stuff like ground physics in a way that I am still unable to find so well represented in X-Plane or MFS, or even DCS.

I did like the overall feel of flight, but AEFS2 was too limited in terms of weather modelling and was not seeing any progress. Maybe I'll revisit it one day ...

And, last but certainly not least, compared to either LR or even better ASOBO, the AEFS2 team @ IPACS is a very small one. They were fast implementing VR and Vulkan and the sim was by far the smoothest experience I got by the time I tested it along with XP11 and P3D, or the Combat flightsims, including War Thunder which was also rather smooth.

Meanwhile GUYS! LISTEN !!!! I am about to get my FRESH NEW GTX 3060 LHR and snap it into my "Powered-by-Alexis-Selection" desktop, where a Ryzen 5600X, 32 GB RAM and a 1TB mvme 2 SSD are waiting for it. Next thing I'll be doing is pushing MFS to the limits on it, IL2 too, and look fwd for XP12 to check how good my sim rig will run it 🙂

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

27 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Meanwhile GUYS! LISTEN !!!! I am about to get my FRESH NEW GTX 3060 LHR and snap it into my "Powered-by-Alexis-Selection" desktop, where a Ryzen 5600X, 32 GB RAM and a 1TB mvme 2 SSD are waiting for it. Next thing I'll be doing is pushing MFS to the limits on it, IL2 too, and look fwd for XP12 to check how good my sim rig will run it 🙂

Wow Jose finally. 

• Like 1

Yet again I've had to hide a pile of posts from the usual suspects so we can get back to a normal discussion. 

@GoranM and @Greazer can you both just learn to ignore each other for the sake of the forum. I'm strongly against censorship, but this has gone beyond a joke and it's starting to drive users away from this forum and even X-Plane (which would seem to be a certain poster's goal).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

FRESH NEW GTX 3060

pretty sure burgeling crypto miners while they are on holiday is against the law even if its not against forum rules.

• Like 1

AutoATC Developer