Sign in to follow this  
cmdn

Periodic stutters 5.2 HF1

On 8/28/2021 at 1:38 AM, RobPol471 said:

Found the cause of my stutters that on different apt I had with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP = 10.

I tried to reinstall the Nvidia driver without making any configuration of the Global Settings, leaving all the controls such as Antialias and Anisostrophic Filter managed by P3D and with this driver configuration the stutters on the apt scenarios that I had reported have disappeared and also I have also detected an increase in fps.

So what did you do?

Changed TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP = 10 to  TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP = 9?

Thanks.

Hi Dirk98,

I am currently using TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP = 10.

I remember my initial stutters situation was "caused" by TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP = 10 which solved the problem of blurry textures and their slow loading.

Stutters manifested on different apt scenarios but, for example, not on Orbx and other scenarios I described above.

After reinstalling the Nvidia driver 471.68. up to now, among all the apt that featured stutters that I tested, I still found several micro stutters only on the Aereosoft LSZH scenario (Zurich) which, however, was also the worst with continuous 1/2 sec stutters. which made him unplayable.

Now, although the situation has definitely improved, it still has some micro stutters and it is the only one that, if my flight plan includes a landing at LSZH, where I put TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP = 9.

• Like 1

For me uninstalling the latest game driver with DDU and installing the latest studio driver when still in safe mode ( can't hurt ), seems to have cured a good deal  of my stutters , Iam also on W11 now and it may just be placebo but I seem to be  getting way  less CTD and niggles no idea why !

Edited by sonny147
Correction

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer 280 AIO Cooler . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

Part of the problem I feel is that people look for the silver bullet solution, when in fact it's a complex set of interactions between hardware, add-ons and settings that determine whether stutters will be seen.  There are more tweaks that can be applied (RobA has posted them in other threads) that can influence when resources are called, and can have a bearing on whether you see stutters in any given situation.  Of course, that assumes one has already eliminated any GPU frame rate/monitor refresh rate discrepancy to ensure it IS a settings related problem.

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

9 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

It's clearly not trash because it works sweetly for me.  You just haven't found what the cause of your problem is.

64Gb ram is irrelevant, what are the timings?

What's the specific and full system specs?

If you're ok over clocking, you can always try o/c your cache too, that helps.

Do you get the issues with a vanilla install?

Thanks for helping Kevin, Avsim is full of people willing to help. Glad I found another one!

I have the RAM at 2666 MHZ

MOBO ASUS Z490A, I7 10700K OC 5.0GHZ , 64GB RIM 2666 MHZ, RTX3090 FE (LG NANO85 4K TV) 3860x2160 resolution at 60 Refresh Rate , PNY 512GB SSD for the SIM, SSD 512 SAMUNSUNG EVO for main PC. (Windows 11). NVM2E 256GB for MSFS. 1TB HDD for storage and X PLANE11. 

I am unsure how to overclock the cache, this is a new term to me. I'll Google, it now. When I get home I can take screenshots of my settings and upload my CFG. 

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

9 minutes ago, Alcides Segovia said:

Thanks for helping Kevin, Avsim is full of people willing to help. Glad I found another one!

I have the RAM at 2666 MHZ

MOBO ASUS Z490A, I7 10700K OC 5.0GHZ , 64GB RIM 2666 MHZ, RTX3090 FE (LG NANO85 4K TV) 3860x2160 resolution at 60 Refresh Rate , PNY 512GB SSD for the SIM, SSD 512 SAMUNSUNG EVO for main PC. (Windows 11). NVM2E 256GB for MSFS. 1TB HDD for storage and X PLANE11. 

I am unsure how to overclock the cache, this is a new term to me. I'll Google, it now. When I get home I can take screenshots of my settings and upload my CFG. 

What are the ram timings, not just its speed?

Do you have HT on or off? if on are you using an AM? If so, what is it?

Does your TV support other freqs than just 60hz?

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

xaP1VAU.png

Found, in my case with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP = 10 what causes stutters in the scenario Aereosoft LSZH (Zurich).

When I set 0% Road vehicles on Traffic - Land and Sea Traffic by P3D, the stutters disappeared.

I verified that even 10% is enough to cause the stutters and this could explain the fact that downhill for the landing as soon as the traffic on the roads started
the stutters while taking off the stutters stopped when the flight reached a height that made the road traffic disappear.

Hi guys,

Just to give you a short update since I started this topic. After further investigation, I did find out what the problem was.

It was related to my GPU, somehow, when I put P3D in the task bar my GPU's fan slowed down, then I set P3D full screen mode again but the GPU fan stayed at "idle" speed and that was the trigger for the periodic stutters to start. I have been able to fix this by customizing the GPU's fan speed curve (idle power should be set higher). I am still having troubles with fslabs autopilot tho (one in four flights the AP would not hold mach number and would not pitch down during decent) I am not sure if this could be related to my gpu or simconnect.

chris

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 10:57 AM, kevinfirth said:

What are the ram timings, not just its speed?

Do you have HT on or off? if on are you using an AM? If so, what is it?

Does your TV support other freqs than just 60hz?

So my issue seemed to be the HDD. I believe that my old PNY SSD was giving issues reading/writing. I switched to a new NVME 1TB PCI3 and reinstalled the simulator onto the new drive and it is working better than ever. 

Signature.png

Guess who just waisted their time with a complete VANILLA Windows 11 reinstall of P3Dv5.2 only to get the same stutters? Me! This fool! P3D5.2 HF2 has been nothing but a nightmare for me.

Signature.png

1 hour ago, Alcides Segovia said:

Guess who just waisted their time with a complete VANILLA Windows 11 reinstall of P3Dv5.2 only to get the same stutters? Me! This fool! P3D5.2 HF2 has been nothing but a nightmare for me.

I found out what was causing my stutters: the GPS, flight planner, and navigation maps.  Every time I open the GPS terrain map, flight planner map, or the navigation map and zoom it out a bit, my cpu usage jumps to 100% and the stutters start.  After the map data has finally loaded, the cpu usage drops and the stutters stop.

I have both ORBX FTX Global Vector and FS Global 2018 terrain mesh.  My guess is that the sim has to find and load all that data into the maps and it hijacks the cpu to do it.

Dave

• Upvote 1

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

5 hours ago, Alcides Segovia said:

New Windows 11 Bug Prevents Snipping Tool and Built-In Apps From Opening | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

Still not ready for prim time.

• Upvote 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

5 hours ago, dave2013 said:

My guess is that the sim has to find and load all that data into the maps and it hijacks the cpu to do it.

Worth reporting to LM, they may tweak the CPU demand in that situation so as not to compromise the smooth ESS of the flight so much?

xaP1VAU.png

9 hours ago, dave2013 said:

I found out what was causing my stutters: the GPS, flight planner, and navigation maps.  Every time I open the GPS terrain map, flight planner map, or the navigation map and zoom it out a bit, my cpu usage jumps to 100% and the stutters start.  After the map data has finally loaded, the cpu usage drops and the stutters stop.

I have both ORBX FTX Global Vector and FS Global 2018 terrain mesh.  My guess is that the sim has to find and load all that data into the maps and it hijacks the cpu to do it.

Dave

I don’t really use any GPS or navigator. Just NGX, 777, CS757. 

Are there underlying GPS usage in any of those? 
Thank you. 

Signature.png