Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

xBox app - so this is why! %&&^%$##

Don't know why you guys are up in arms. Xbox is Microsofts gaming platform. Console and pc. As you can see they are trying to get all the games under one banner. The days of updating msfs through the store is over. You'll have to start using the Xbox app. Remember it wasn't like this in the beginning, but with with the release of windows 11 looming around the corner they have made some changes to the windows store that forces you to Xbox app for updates. You’ll to live with it going forward 

• Like 1

Is it your biggest fear that someone will find out that you have video games installed on your PC? 

• Like 3

// 5800X3D // RTX 3090 // 64GB RAM // HP REVERB G2 //

2 hours ago, fppilot said:

So after the need to install the Xbox app yesterday as one frustrating step toward WU6, I boot up this morning and instead of my Windows desktop I greeted with an open, full screen, Xbox app.  Multiple words not allowed!  I am not a gaming enthusiast other than flight simulation, and I do not consider it that way.

Task Manager, Startup, scroll to Xbox, right-click, disable.  

"Task Manager, Startup, scroll to Xbox, right-click, disable.  "

Initially I assumed you did that but it did not work ... thus your problem post.

What you meant was :  The fix was :Task Manager, Startup, scroll to Xbox, right-click, disable.  

So, my error in the initial reading.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

2 hours ago, fppilot said:

open, full screen, Xbox app

LOL, I hear you . . . I generally find that every service app wants to run on startup. Spotify, Xbox, Steam, Discord, Slack, Skype, Teams, even the PMDG Ops Center! In fairness, most people that install the Xbox app probably DO want it to start automatically, so it's a rational default setting, but I personally don't prefer that every app thinks it should be running all the time. No thanks. Glad you were able to disable it 👍

• Like 1

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

I assume that at the latest from using Windows 11 you will need to install the XBOX app. It is not possible to install the MSFS app from the new store, introduced by Windows 11, if the XBOX is not installed.😉

Patric

1 hour ago, espent said:

Is it your biggest fear that someone will find out that you have video games installed on your PC? 

No fear. Just the unwanted annoyance! And putting all that stuff in my face!  If I were interested I would set it up that way myself.  

By the way, I use a pop-up-blocker with my browser to block all those obnoxious ads that get pushed.  My system is my domain, not everybody else's.

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 hour ago, devgrp said:

You’ll to live with it going forward 

On my system for my elective use, but not to greet me every time I boot up my system, I won't!  Steam doesn't do that to me!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

It's just that..........

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I'm with @fppilot on the annoyance of auto-startup stuff, honestly.   It's rude for any application to do that, and I always have a flash of irritation when I need to go in and specifically tell something I installed, that didn't even ask me if I wanted it to auto-run, to knock it off.   There's nothing eccentric or irrational about being annoyed by that.

(Though it's interesting that I had to install the app as well, and for me it wasn't set to auto-launch, not sure why the difference.)

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, fppilot said:

On my system for my elective use, but not to greet me every time I boot up my system, I won't!  Steam doesn't do that to me!

Steam has the option to boot at startup, just as the X-Box app does.  Both also have the option to disable that behavior.

16 minutes ago, kaosfere said:

I'm with @fppilot on the annoyance of auto-startup stuff, honestly.   It's rude for any application to do that, and I always have a flash of irritation when I need to go in and specifically tell something I installed, that didn't even ask me if I wanted it to auto-run, to knock it off.   There's nothing eccentric or irrational about being annoyed by that.

(Though it's interesting that I had to install the app as well, and for me it wasn't set to auto-launch, not sure why the difference.)

It's unfortunate, but so common now that the first thing I do when I install any new program is to look in options or settings to disable things like "run at system startup" and "minimize to tray instead of closing".  I'm long past letting things like that bother me... it's just part of modern computing and OS's.  😎

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, kaosfere said:

Agree.. and my XBox app was also set to start up with Windows..

The cure:

Settings / Apps / XBox / Advanced settings / uncheck start up with Windows

• Like 1

Bert

Bert's cure is what I instinctively and immediately did after I installed that travesty.  Seems that the only way I could access the WU6 download was to have the Xbox app not only installed but running as well.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Like many here, I was forced to reinstall Xbox for the update to run.  Now, I have a problem.  Windows will no longer reboot.  The only way I can restart my system is to shut down and do a cold start.  Everything is running well - just can't reboot.

Randall Rocke

One minute after I installed X box App, I saw that it was bloatware and posted on the forum about turning of multiple settings in the app designed to activate it for various conditions. I hate bloatware. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png