Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

This is the best state MSFS has ever been in

Just now, neil0311 said:

Didn’t say anything about cost. Free still has to be downloaded, installed, updated, etc.

And it still leaves seams and doesn’t blend into the default scenery. 

Don’t even know what that is, but will venture a guess that it’s a 3rd party add on.

Obviously, you can spend money and download lots of ads ons

4 minutes ago, EGLD said:

Right, and I never mentioned cost. I said you CAN spend a lot of money.

Never said that add in you mentioned was pay ware or you HAD to spend a ton of money.

Orbx isn’t free. Megascenery isn’t free Lots of people, myself included spent lots on add ins. 

Edited by neil0311
  • Like 2

And none of that discussion or you trying to pin me down on some gotcha syntax makes any difference.

Even in its best iteration, with all the payware and freeware and tweaking…X-Plane can’t hold a candle to MSFS2020 in its vanilla state out of the box. 

• Like 3

who cares about vanilla state though? it seems to be important to you despite the fact you spend lots on add-ons

one of the best things about MSFS right now is a freeware addon

genuinely struggling to understand the point you're making here

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tom_L said:

Where I would have said "WOW!" pre SU5 I now struggle to say "nice", as is clearly demonstrated by the poor quality of the clouds in this screenshot.spacer.png

I'll happily trade this temporary downgrade in cloud depiction for the obvious performance gains and behaviors.  This too, weather depiction, will be enhanced over time.  We've heard conjecture loosely based on comments by Jorg that an 'impressive update to weather' is coming, and some believe not until 2022 which seems plausible.   

• Like 3

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

7 minutes ago, Noel said:

impressive update to weather'

There's improvements  - badly needed - for live weather promised for the end of this year, the "impressive" one for the end of 2022 indeed. But that doesn't change the fact some changes in SU5 weren't beneficial for all. I surely hope the visuals will be restored in due couse too.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

11 minutes ago, Tom_L said:

There's improvements  - badly needed - for live weather promised for the end of this year, the "impressive" one for the end of 2022 indeed. But that doesn't change the fact some changes in SU5 weren't beneficial for all. I surely hope the visuals will be restored in due couse too.

Yes the weather took a big hit w/ SU5.  SU5 was anything but beneficial for all, save Xbox users perhaps.   I'll give you 10:1 odds weather visuals will improve as the fine-tuning and major overhaul proceeds, taking care not to destroy performance in the process.  Thusfar, for visuals v performance, Asobo gets a full on A rating.  I think they're (rightly) making sure performance trumps visuals, and as you know there is definitely headroom, so yes visuals will improve.  Be interesting to see what DX-12 does to the mix.

• Like 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Can't say this is a fair assessment, but yeah, things are getting better all the time, especially since I just replaced my 5 years old GTX 1070 with a RTX 3080 ti.  Full Ultra is the real deal, nearly fell out of my chair with the enhanced visuals, not to mention the buttery smooth performance too.  VR is my next upgrade.

Edited by TheFamilyMan
  • Like 2

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

1 hour ago, EGLD said:

who cares about vanilla state though? it seems to be important to you despite the fact you spend lots on add-ons

I haven’t spent a dime on add ons for MSFS 2020. Not a cent.

I was referring to having to do that for prior versions like FS9, FSX, P3D, simply to make them useable.

Now, maybe it A2A releases more detailed aircraft, I might buy a plane or two, but scenery is provided…in payware detail…for the entire globe.

• Like 4

disregard......

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

4 hours ago, Shack95 said:

I‘m pretty sure @mazex was being sarcastic (or whatever that rhetorical device is called, hyperbole to highlight absurdity?).

Absolutely. After SU5 + WU6, MSFS runs completely fluid in VR with ultra settings on my rig - and I love it. 

And you are right. We in Sweden are like the Brits. Sarcastic almost all the time... 

Edited by mazex
  • Like 5

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and Intel 665P SSD for games

I had 4 perfect flights on VATSIM today in the A32NX. The only thing I miss is VNAV / TOD. 

Other than that MSFS runs Perfect for me at the moment. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tom_L said:

clearly demonstrated by the poor quality of the clouds in this screenshot.

What's wrong with the clouds in this screenshot?

• Like 5

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

28 minutes ago, scotchegg said:

What's wrong with the clouds in this screenshot?

Compared to pre SU5, they have some odd basic structural changes that often look like plates in discreet planes superimposed on each other.  As well they are generally less detailed.  To me, even before SU5 clouds lacked definition for different cloud morphologies.  No light wispy cirrus clouds, very few highly defined cumulous clouds on clear days, etc.  Refinement of lighting such that you get some serious dynamic contrast when conditions are right.  Hopefully the bigger update late 2022 Tom_L says will address some of this, and that could definitely qualify as impressive!

Noel

2 hours ago, Noel said:

Compared to pre SU5, they have some odd basic structural changes that often look like plates in discreet planes superimposed on each other.  As well they are generally less detailed.  To me, even before SU5 clouds lacked definition for different cloud morphologies.  No light wispy cirrus clouds, very few highly defined cumulous clouds on clear days, etc.  Refinement of lighting such that you get some serious dynamic contrast when conditions are right.  Hopefully the bigger update late 2022 Tom_L says will address some of this, and that could definitely qualify as impressive!

I'm not seeing the plates in that screenshot. It sounds like you understand the mechanics of their construction whereas I don't, and the puppets are always less appealing when you can see the strings.

Agree with the high-level cirrus and highly defined cumulous and dream of a day when we might see them. Still generally in awe of what we currently have given where we've come from in legacy sims.

• Like 2

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea