Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest SKireyev

Off topic, Not FS related...losing my co-pilot....

You are in my thoughts, i reently lost my dog Trixie after 18 years it was heartbreaking, i have a new dog now and that helped ease the pain considerably, although it will never replace her. They become a part of the family, i'm sure she loved you very much.Paul.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Sorry to hear that Paul,And sorry to hear about your health as well. Your post brought back a memory of a poem that Jimmy Stewart wrote and recited one night on the Tonight Show (back in the Johnny Carson days), I linked the poem for ya... I don't think there was a dry eye in the studio or in a few million homes when he finished it. http://www.reelclassics.com/Actors/Jimmy/jimmy-poem.htm

It's always hard to lose a loved member of the family, only people who own a dog or cat can understand why the pain is so great. My thoughts are with you friend. Keep your spirits up, because I feel sure she's still looking down on you from wherever she is, and would not want you to be unhappy.

Hi Paul,It is a very hard, but hang in there. We had to do the same, 2 years ago with our husky, Shasha. Be sad today, but rejoice in all the good times.Hope this helps,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development TeamActive Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter

Paul - My thoughts are with you. Last month, I had to bid farewell to my best buddy - a cat named Charlie who was almost 22 years old. Got him when he was 6 weeks old and we grew old together. People who do not have animal friends can't really understand. They give uncompromising love asking nothing more than a gentle pat and a bit of food.She will always be with you, in your heart.My best,VicVisit the Virtual Pilot's Centerwww.flightadventures.comhttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-proud.jpghttp://www.jdtllc.com/images/rcv4bannersupporter.jpg

I am very sorry to hear that Paul. Those little buggers get in to your heart and never leave!I was never an animal person until my wife convinced me to get a pure breed Chihuahua. All I could think of was 'You mean one of those Taco Bell Dogs?'. Well little did I know how much I would love my little Annie and a few months later her sister Cienna.I am very happy to have the two pesky critters, I could not think of life without those little puppy dog eyes when I get home, and the wet welcome I get every day I get home.Paul take care!![hr color=#000000][table border=0" width="98%" id="table1" height="4" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="2][td width=500]Jason[br /]General Aviation Fan[br][/b]P4 3.2Ghz, 1GB Ram, FX5900 128MB, XP SP2.[br /][br /]

I'm very sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing.---Will

I'm so sorry. You will be in my prayers.

I just wanted to thank each of you individually for your kind words. To TCable, Paul, Zane, John, Jim, Vic, Jason, Will and Pink Floyd LOL (CWD), thank you so so much. You have no idea how much the kind words mean to me... It is all over now. I got home an hour or two ago and went to sit on the beach for a little while and stare at the waves. She loved the beach...I just love how everyone has their own story of how an animal has touched their lives. They are just soo amazing it is undescribable. I just got done cleaning up all her toys, bowls and beds so it is pretty miserable right now but seriously, all the kind words put a smile on my face. Thank you again for all the kind words.-PaulLiquid CooledAMD 4000 San Diego2 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2Dual 7800 GTX 24 inch widescreen dual 19 inch LCDRaid-0psolksig.jpg

I can relate. I had to do the same for a cat in October. He was my best friend nad everybody loved him. Even with 2 other cats and 2 dogs it was (and still is) an incredibly painful loss.Daniel loved to sit on my lap as I flew or worked on the computer.

So it is with great sorrow I write this post. For the past 13 years I have always had a co-pilot by my side. Her name is Kabes or KB for short. She is a Lab-Shep-Rotty mix I got in College. I saved her life and kept her from the pound when she was 6 weeks old and I feel like she has been saving mine ever since. She has helped me through some of the hardest times of my life over the past year or two with my health and other personal issues. Then recently I found out she had cancer.She has been getting rapidly worse day by day and last night she sort of shut down altogether. Well today the day has come for her to take her last flight. She is departing at 11:30 this morning and she is being dropped off on the clouds this flight instead of returning with me.As she has given SOOOO much to me over the past 13 years and even though she is a dog and will never know I still just wanted to write her a little tribute. Kabes, thanks for everything puppy, I love you and know you are chasing frisbees into a big lake in the sky...Thanks for listening,-PaulLiquid CooledAMD 4000 San Diego2 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2Dual 7800 GTX24 inch widescreen dual 19 inch LCDRaid-0Liquid CooledAMD 4000 San Diego2 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2Dual 7800 GTX 24 inch widescreen dual 19 inch LCDRaid-0psolksig.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/147602.jpg

Paul, I know how you feel. I've had to do that many times, and it never gets easier. This poem has always made me feel a little better, though:IF IT SHOULD BEIf it should be that I grow weakAnd pain should keep me from my sleep,Then you must do what must be done,For this last battle cannot be won.You will be sad, I understand.Don't let your grief then stay your hand.For this day, more than all the rest,Your love for me must stand the test.We've had so many happy years.What is to come can hold no fears.You'd not want me to suffer so;The time has come -- please let me go.Take me where my need they'll tend,And please stay with me till the end.Hold me firm and speak to me,Until my eyes no longer see.I know in time that you will seeThe kindness that you did for me.Although my tail its last has waved,From pain and suffering I've been saved.Please do not grieve -- it must be youWho had this painful thing to do.We've been so close, we two, these years;Don't let your heart hold back its tears.--- Anonymous --

Sorry for your loss Paul. I guess it's times like this that make us see how trivial some of our flight sim related tribulations can be.

My sincere condolances.I've lost a few furry companions and it really is like losing members of the family.No doubt she'll be scrutinizing your flying from above!James

When we lost our cat of 17 years, what a day, as I buried her as we did all ours in the back garden where they will always be with us, the rain fell, and that just somehow made it worse, it was like she was dropping tears down as well. She truly was my best friend and I'll never forget that dear loving yet sassy little cat. She's gone where she won't have to chase foxes anymore (yes she chased foxes not the other way round bless her). It's true though, it never gets any easier, and even now some 9 years down the road, I still think I see her out the corner of my eye, or else forget and look round before I move my chair (she used to like sitting under my chair for some reason).

Thank you all for the kind words. I feel bad for not responding but I have been reading the posts and they have all really helped me. Thank you all sincerely from the bottom of my heart for taking the time to read and to give your kind words.I am doing my first flight "without" her tonight. I put without in quotes because it still feels like she is here. Together we are doing KEWR-EGCC right now in real time. What a way to kill a rainy night...Thank you all again, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.I am scouring petfinder.com pretty frequently right now, we will see what happens.Thank you,-PaulLiquid CooledAMD 4000 San Diego2 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2Dual 7800 GTX 24 inch widescreen dual 19 inch LCDRaid-0psolksig.jpg

Sorry to hear about your loss also. I know how it feels. I picked up a stray cat when he was a kitten. The day he died, I cried.I have one in my parent's house in Long Island that I picked up when she was a mere 3 months old. Now she's over 15 years old and I'm definitely going to be sad when she dies.

Hey Paul--Sorry I didn't write any earlier. This post made me so freaking sad that I hardly could find the words... I read it aloud, and my wife having overheard me made me stop, cause she couldn't fight back the tears. I find it really strange that although I have no trouble finding words to counsel someone's grief over a loss of a human, it is always impossible to help someone make peace with a loss of a pet. All I can say is that I strongly believe that when I go, and enter afterlife, all the ones that made me feel happy would be there to greet me, including my little "family members". Maybe this outlook can help you along for now.Best of luck, and if you need anything, you have my e-mail.Cheers,SKPS: I am starting flight training soon. From sim to dream...>Thank you all for the kind words. I feel bad for not>responding but I have been reading the posts and they have all>really helped me. Thank you all sincerely from the bottom of>my heart for taking the time to read and to give your kind>words.>I am doing my first flight "without" her tonight. I put>without in quotes because it still feels like she is here. >Together we are doing KEWR-EGCC right now in real time. What>a way to kill a rainy night...>Thank you all again, I can't tell you how much I appreciate>it.>I am scouring petfinder.com pretty frequently right now, we>will see what happens.>Thank you,>-Paul>>Liquid Cooled>AMD 4000 San Diego>2 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2>Dual 7800 GTX >24 inch widescreen dual 19 inch LCD>Raid-0>psolksig.jpg

Man, talk about bringing back a post from the past ( I remember starting this thread over 6 years ago for my first pup)  but sadly my other co-pilot of 17 years went to play with her big sister in the sky yesterday and had to be put down due to cancer...  17 years for a dog is a lifetime of good memories for me!   

RIP Taz, hope you are playing with your big sis!  If I know that little dog she is doing 1 of 4 things.

1.  Sitting in her big sis's food bowl preventing her from eating

2.  Trying to steal the giant bone her big sis has had since she got to puppy heaven

3.  Jumping up and down with joy and nipping at her big sister's face

4.  Humping a taz doll  (I swear it was her favorite thing to do)

Either way her big sis, my original co-pilot is up there going "really, it was so peaceful for the last few years"  but deep down she is probably running in circles she is so happy to see her little sis!

I smile as I type this remembering the two of them together and the day I brought her home...  She was 2 pounds, sat in the palm of my hand, crawled up on my shoulder curled up and went to sleep.

555076_10200975740972767_2031564699_n.jp

I'm reminded of something that Lord John Oaksey said on the occasion of him having lost a dog. He said "The trouble with being a human is, that you outlive so many good horses and good dogs" Struck me as very true. So rather than mourn the loss, be grateful you shared your life with a 'good dog' or indeed, a 'good horse'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Oaksey

Thank you very much Ron!  That is why I am choosing to smile over the two of them together now opposed to frown over my loss...