Sign in to follow this  
GCBraun

This plugin has won me back as regular XP11 user

1 hour ago, mjrhealth said:

Pleasing customers, thats not the problem, customers are just these days hard to please. World has become a miserable place, with a world filled with people who think they deserve everything and for free. It was a better place before computers, when rolling a hoop down the road was fun, walking bare foot for an hr to your mates place, walking an hr to the library to get Tin Tin books to actually read. This world surely has changed for the worse.

Just imagine you'd produce and sell cars: with doors (that are not fully tight), a gear (with only two levels) and windows (that are not really transparent). You leave it to the customer to replace them with ones that actually work like they would would in any other contemporary car, on their own expense. Maybe that is because you were busy as well with developing a new engine at the time of developing the car. But even years later, you sell your cars like this. And after a very long time, your customers start voicing their disappointment.

I don't think the customer is to blame or hard to please here. I agree with your comment generally, but not in this particular case.

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

Instead of buying cigarettes today, I bought this. (Yep they are pretty expensive here)

@BiologicalNanobot Thank you for this amazing product!

While Xplane11 is nearing it's end it's only 15$ and I get to enjoy it for a couple months, for me a pack of cigarettes will last about a week (I actually don't really smoke that much! LOL), this one is a a much better trade and make my health & soul happier.

• Like 5

That's why a demo (or test drive) with as much time that is needed to look the car over will help with the decision.  

And in the end, if the customer isn't happy with what he or she is being sold, the customer moves on.

I mean, I'm willing to even pay $1 per month to test drive a car every month.  If it meets my initial expectations.  And if it doesn't, I move on.  No one is holding a gun to anyone's head.

Regardless of all this, I would still respect the mechanic at the dealership who went to the trouble to make sure those doors closed properly.  I would even hand him $15...or more...for his efforts...If I decided the car was good enough for a purchase.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Greazer said:

They actually do, but that "someone else" is a community guy or payware developer who pass on the costs.  In the other sim, the devs did a good job and the clouds look Amazing out of the box.  I don't need to do a thing looking for script hacks or addons!

This obviously isn't something that can be handled by addons, it has to be core to the sim.

I have been a X-Plane user for a long time.  I remember their trials with particle based clouds ... it didn't work.  It needs the underlying tech.

20 hours ago, rka said:

Shell out fifteen more bucks to make XP look more contemporary, but not as good as the competition, in the year 2021?

If this would have been free in one of those small updates of last week, I would have checked it out.

Pay for that? Thanks, but no thanks.

Maybe I'll try the demo just to see one time how one person was able to pull off what was impossible for LR for years...

This is because X-Plane 11 was released in 2016, and was in development a lot before. The absolute bare minimum for Enhanced Skyscapes is GTX 980, which was one of the best hardware in that time. Volumetric clouds were simply too performance heavy to render at that time. MSFS is released in 2020, of course it would be better visually. X-Plane 12 will very likely catch up.

I use both MSFS and X-Plane, and I like both. I see a bright future for the both, in the end, the choice between the two will very likely come down to add-ons. Do you want a great A320, 737, 747, 777, 787, C172, C182? MSFS got you covered. Do you want a great 737, 757, 767, A340, MD-11, DA-62, TBM 900, SR22? X-Plane will do the job just fine.

Edited by BiologicalNanobot
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

Nice clouds. They work well with ASXP. A little pixelated during dusk, but other than that "the best clouds I've ever seen in XP11."

7A30p1f.png

Edited by DJJose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

4 minutes ago, BiologicalNanobot said:

This is because X-Plane 11 was released in 2016, and was in development a lot before. The absolute bare minimum for Enhanced Skyscapes is GTX 980, which was one of the best hardware in that time. Volumetric clouds were simply too performance heavy to render at that time.

The 980 was released in 2014. Seven(!) years ago. That's what I'm talking about.

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

3 minutes ago, rka said:

The 980 was released in 2014. Seven(!) years ago. That's what I'm talking about.

And X-Plane 11 was released in 2016. They can't update it in the middle of its life cycle as that would break minimum system requirements, which is a very terrible thing to do.

• Upvote 2

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

Just now, BiologicalNanobot said:

And X-Plane 11 was released in 2016. They can't update it in the middle of its life cycle as that would break minimum system requirements, which is a very terrible thing to do.

Oh come on. They could have implemented your stuff and made it switchable. There would have been zero problems with minimal requirements.

15 minutes ago, rka said:

Oh come on. They could have implemented your stuff and made it switchable. There would have been zero problems with minimal requirements.

New developer contacts LR/Austin Meyer: "Hello Austin.  I have no add on experience.  I'm making my first add on.  Realistic looking clouds.  I'm working on them and I'm almost positive they will come out looking great.  Will you pay me a fee to add them to default X-Plane?"

Are you seriously saying that LR will have implemented new clouds from a new developer with no add ons to his credit, and no track record of committing to a project?  Just his word?

Please tell me you're smarter than that!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, rka said:

Could have but would have been very restricted with Opengl.  

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

It seems so many posts inevitably go to complaints about LR and why they didn’t implement this or that in Xplane 11. The fact is they never stopped developing for Xplane but were slower with substantial advancements, such as Vulkan, because there was little to no competition urging them on.  Austin all but admitted that.

We have what we have and can now look to the next version of Xplane.

Thanks, @BiologicalNanobot, for showing what can still be done in Xplane 11 for our enjoyment. I’ll try the demo but probably it will have too great an impact on my system.  I appreciate anything that advances the technology and urges further development.  Maybe LR is noticing and saying among themselves, “Oh, we’ve easily got that beat in the next version!”,  or “Wow.  Ok guys.  Let’s get to work.”

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Well, to whomever is on the fence about this add-on: Remember that X-Plane 11 will not stop working anytime soon. Yes, there will be a X-Plane 12, but it will likely go through a lenghty public beta, as is customary for new X-Plane versions.

Another thing to keep in mind: The devs that make stuff like this possible in XP11 will likely tinker with XP12, too. Helping them make a profit now will keep them on board in the future, too.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 3