Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

An avoidable tragedy...

16 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Well yes, of course, it happens. But we don't live in fear because most of us never encounter such things. In 63 years Ive never been threatened with a knife or any weapon. The only person I know who has, was a policeman. 

Well most of us don't. We don't live in fear. There are always going to be rough areas in any country where its not as safe, but its what the average person encounters that's important. We certainly don't have the issue like @Fielder reported where he says he wouldn't be able to sleep without a gun. And he said that was despite being in  a lower crime rate smaller town. 

But you were right in your previous post, where you pointed out how the media mislead and exaggerate. It gives us a false impression of how safe the average American feels and also gives you a false impression of how safe the average person in the UK feels.

Those days have never existed. We have always been concerned about violent crime. But being concerned and "living in fear" are two different things. I'm sure all nations, regardless of their violent crime rate are concerned. 

Oh right, there you go, your personnel experience has lead you to draw the conclusions you do. Just as some who live in a safer part of the country would have a different opinion. 

With respect, you are cherry picking one place. You would have to look at an average of the degree of "fear" that exists nationwide. And then do the same for the nation you are comparing with. There will always be  towns, cities, in any nation where its less safe. 

The UK is fascinated with all things American. Even to the way many in the UK now talk. 

And in 47 years nor myself nor anyone I know has been threated with a knife or weapon in the US.  

Don't speak for the entire UK, just as there are places in the US where people live in fear there are places in the UK people feel unsafe.  You are just generalizing.

Why do you seem to be assuming Americans live in fear.  Some people in some places but all Americans, LOL far from it.

Oh wait, my personal experience is irrelevant and cherry picking but your 63 years means everyone in the UK feels the same?  Hi Pot I'm Kettle nice to meet you LOL... 

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

28 minutes ago, psolk said:
37 minutes ago, birdguy said:

You didn't read correctly Noel, I was objecting to Martin's stance not supporting it.

Sorry Paul.  I'm being besieged here.  This is quite a long thread and I'm trying to eat breakfast and catch up at the same time.

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

1 minute ago, birdguy said:

In an emergency both are added steps. 

Well yes but you said it was "in a drawer". So presumable you have to open the drawer first. No deferent to opening a safe. The only difference is 3 seconds to enter a combination or less than one second for a finger scanner. 

I need to just pick up the gun with my left hand with my finger on the trigger and pull back the slide with my right hand.  I can do it in one fluid movement.

Huh... so the magazine is in place? In an unlocked draw, ready to fire? Do you at least have the safety catch on? Do you relly live in that much fear that you feel you have to save as little as a few seconds and actually have your finger on the trigger before even determining there is a real threat?

9 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Doubt you could get the right polymer, probably a proprietary formulae. 

Just a matter of time.

Dugald Walker

8 minutes ago, psolk said:

And in 47 years nor myself nor anyone I know has been threated with a knife or weapon in the US.  

Well there you go. As we both said, the media engender a false perspective. Works both ways. As I say, you would have to do research and determine the degree of fear felt, on average, in both nations. And of course the true threat.

Don't speak for the entire UK, just as there are places in the US where people live in fear there are places in the UK people feel unsafe.  You are just generalizing.

No I'm not generalising, that's exactly what I said. It depends on the region you are talking about. But to get a true impression of the perceived and true we would have to look at an average. 

12 minutes ago, psolk said:

Why do you seem to be assuming Americans live in fear.  Some people in some places but all Americans, LOL far from it.

I'm not, Ive not said that at all. ONE US individual said he was in this thread. And I responded in terms of what I thought Chris meant. 

Oh wait, my personal experience is irrelevant and cherry picking but your 63 years means everyone in the UK feels the same?  Hi Pot I'm Kettle nice to meet you LOL...

No! Your personnel experience isn't irrelevant FOR YOU, for you subjectively. But it would be irrelevant in terms of the way the entire nation feels. And if you want to determine how the entire nation feels, on average, then you would have to do research to determine that.

You cant say Americans are more fearful based on one region and you cant say a UK citizens are more fearful based on one region.  

2 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Huh... so the magazine is in place? In an unlocked draw, ready to fire? Do you at least have the safety catch on? Do you relly live in that much fear that you feel you have to save as little as a few seconds and actually have your finger on the trigger before even determining there is a real threat?

Of course the magazine is in place but there is not round in the chamber.  And quickly available.  No need for the safety to be on if there is no round in the chamber.  You don't know much about guns do you.

It's not living in fear, it's being prepared.  And I did once have the need to get it out quickly.  And for those few minutes before the police arrived yes, I was fearful.  Not only for myself but because I might have had to use the gun on some person or persons.  When the police arrived that fear went away.  So no, it's not a constant fear.  It's the immediate fear you feel when your life might be in danger like sitting in a bunker in Vietnam under a mortar attack and wonder if the next round might hit your bunker.

Perhaps if you had ever been in such a situation yourself you wouldn't be so flippant about it.

Noel

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

51 minutes ago, dmwalker said:

If there is an intruder in the house at night, you would want to access the gun within one or two minutes

Good Lord! I know I said I was outta here but It seems that many people here have no idea how fast things can go down. One or two minutes? 10-15 seconds is more like it. If you want a weapon to protect you it has to be where it can protect you.

• Like 2

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

25 minutes ago, martin-w said:

I've carried a handgun for many years now. It's always "unlocked".  The magazine is in-place. A round is chambered at all times - you may not have enough time to rack the slide. All I have do to fire it is draw and pull the trigger. I carry a Glock so releasing a safety isn't required. And, you never, ever, have your finger on the trigger until you've assessed the threat and are ready to respond. And, yes, you may only have a few seconds. To believe otherwise is to invite disaster.

Edited by W2DR
kant spel
  • Like 2

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

1 minute ago, birdguy said:

Of course the magazine is in place but there is not round in the chamber.  And quickly available.  No need for the safety to be on if there is no round in the chamber.  

Actually yes, I would still have the safety on with no round in the chamber. Whether there's a need or not. As for knowing much about guns, I'm not an expert no, but my father did teach me basic safety rules. If you were to chamber a round, I would want that safety already on. But hey, as you say, Im no expert.

7 minutes ago, birdguy said:

It's not living in fear, it's being prepared. 

And if a kid breaks into your house he has a gun at his disposal  with magazine in place, not locked up and easily accessible. Sorry but I cant see your "preparedness" as justification. 

9 minutes ago, birdguy said:

And I did once have the need to get it out quickly.

Once! In your entire life? 

http://www.westernsafesandiego.com/blog/5-reasons-why-your-gun-should-be-in-a-safe/

I see many states, even if you have no children legislate that you must have a gun safe. I'm presuming they have good reason for that? 

4 minutes ago, W2DR said:

I know I said I was outta here

We are like moths to a flame. We can't resist.

You are, of course correct that it can happen in a few seconds and that I have no idea how fast things can go down. I suppose an expert thief could even be in your bedroom where you are sleeping before you realise it. I like living in my old house because all the floors creak. It's like the "nightingale floors" which were used in Japan to warn of approaching intruders.

• Like 1

Dugald Walker

15 minutes ago, W2DR said:

10-15 seconds is more like it.

Noel wants zero seconds. He's not even happy opening a safe in three seconds. 🙄

Edited by martin-w

9 minutes ago, W2DR said:

I've carried a handgun for many years now. It's always "unlocked".  The magazine is in-place. A round is chambered at all times

Oh my god... and you guys berate others for not understanding gun safety. 

Crazy stuff. 

Is it the wild west for gods sake? 

And, you never, ever, have your finger on the trigger until you've assessed the threat and are ready to respond.

Noel has his finger on the trigger already. 🤔 You two need to have a chat and debate the proper safety measures.

Edited by martin-w

11 Pages since I started this thread.  I have over 30 likes on this thread so I've made my point to those willing to listen.  This moth is going to find another flame.

Noel

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, W2DR said:

I've carried a handgun for many years now. It's always "unlocked".  The magazine is in-place. A round is chambered at all times

To put things in perspective, what safety precautions do police take when carrying sidearms?

Dugald Walker

1 hour ago, psolk said:

They also have biometirc and combination trigger locks.  Renders the weapon useless until it's removed.  You realize some states have open carry laws right?  By your logic Noel would be responsible if he was mugged and someone took his gun and shot others with it if he was carrying in an open carry state.  

Or that Noel should be libel for fraudulent charges if the muggers took his credit card and ran around living it up. It would be Noel’s fault for not keeping that card safely locked up.

Vic green