Sign in to follow this  
Ianrivaldosmith

The sim to end sim addons.

50 minutes ago, Mace said:

but weren't you one of those people?

No.

But what if I was? It isn’t wrong or right to have an opinion. 

It doesn’t take much to make the internet irate. You can write a light-hearted article about how you like cheese and, whoops, you’ve started a no-gouda, very bad culture war. Someone on Twitter will explain that your joke about brie was classist; someone else will say that your omission of cheddar was a violent act of erasure, and someone with a username like @DairyPatriot69 will tell you to go back to where you came from and eat whatever horrible cheese they make there. 

This ^^  sums up this forum down to a tee. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maxis said:

I think you misread my post.. Im aware scenery does not need to be started before the sim. For fs9 the addon airports i had purchased were essential .. With MSFS for me addon airports are more or less no longer essential as i am pretty much happy with things as they are scenery wise.

The items that you have to start up before the sim ? See NYXX's post above mine.. best illustrates my feelings on the issue... 

Glad you are enjoying the sim the way you want to though

Cheers

Thanks. I read NYXX's post, and agree with it basically. As he points out, most of the startups listed by the OP are unnecessary to run MSFS (some I have never even heard of). Anyway, as is often said here,"to each his own", or in other words, "whatever works for you".

Edited by cobalt

2 hours ago, SierraDelta said:

Yes - and no. I think we’re already on the 3rd revision of the current Navigraph AIRAC data.

Indeed. And since I don't know whenever there is a revision I may have to start those programs more often. 

No big deal, of course. 😉

• Like 1

I think for most non-AVSIM people MSFS IS the end of sim addons. They don't need FSUIPC, AIG, P2ATC etc. They want to have a nice 20 mintues fly around with one of the default airplanes and enjoy the good looking live weather and scenery. MSFS does give them exactly that. I don't think anyone ever said MSFS is supposed to be the end of addons for procedure-following airliner sim pilots. I mean it was clear from the beginning that MSFS cannot license all airlines, so right from the start it was clear that MSFS needs some sort of traffic or at least livery mod. Then PMDG 737 itself is a "mod" by definition, so... not sure who would be disappointed.

I think the only thing really botched is the default AI and ATC..  If you want a Starbucks inside your airport terminal or the latest SIDs and STARs guarenteed with charts, then sure, there are addons. But the default game leaves me only starting up the new AI traffic manager, and Air Hauler 2 for career and purpose with flying. 

8 hours ago, jbdbow1970 said:

I think the OP is taking this way too serious and expected too much from a vanilla piece of software of MSFS in a price range of 60 to 120 usd.

I don’t get the impression he’s taking it that seriously, pretty tongue-in-cheek I thought.

• Like 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

3 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

No.

But what if I was? It isn’t wrong or right to have an opinion. 

I didn't suggest such a thing.

No, there's nothing wrong with an opinion.

I do seem to recall you posting about being disgusted with the number of add-ons you had to run in P3D, and if you did, I find this thread a useful denouement to your dilemma, or to the individual(s) that did say that, if in fact you did not.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

10 minutes ago, Mace said:

I do seem to recall you posting about being disgusted with the number of add-ons you had to run in P3D

I’ve never used P3D in my life…… fact check? 

8 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

It's unfortunate that you (and many others) feel the need to qualify something they don't like about a platform. 

I never said I didn’t like it. 

What’s with all the assumptions people make these days? 

Well, I have that dream to not require Weather, Camera, Traffic or ATC add-ons. I used them in FSX and X-Plane and I am tired of it.

Reading Jörgs interview today I am convinced these areas will greatly improve over time. He explicitly talks  about it.

I am happy to invest in airplanes and some airports but improvements to core features should come from Asobo.

Edited by urthgental
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

True, you never used the word "didn't like" ... assumptions can come from ambiguity.  The inference was "we had a sim to end sim addons. (dreams)"  ... "we" is who exactly?  Isn't that you making an assumption?

The inference I got from your statement was that MSFS would end the need for add-ons.  That didn't happen and "we" is unqualified hence the ambiguity.

I never had any expectations MSFS would end the need for add-ons ... just the opposite, my expectation was to have MORE DLC and a nice platform to deliver it (MarketPlace).  The still evolving SDK has slowed that delivery process down and caused a few issues.  

Nothing wrong with a dose of accurate reflection of problems with a platform, all flight simulator platforms have experienced that.  MSFS continues to move forward, a good thing, hopefully more consideration into the reality the Asobo team alone is not sufficient to bring about the delivery of features that many users want ... but a robust SDK is.

Cheers, Rob.

In other words, I assumed something I shouldn't have...sorry. See how easy that is?! Maybe a bit less assumption about unqualified ambiguity is in order here. Has bitcoin tanked yet?

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

The world is on it's last legs, plagues are sweeping the earth, my newspaper wasn't delivered until 11am this morning and there's four pages of angst started by a tongue in cheek comment.

So maybe the world isn't coming to an end after all.

• Like 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

9 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

... the roller coast of ride for a "stable" currency (took a nasty hit these past few days).  🤑  GIGO

Newspapers are still delivered?  🙂

Cheers, Rob.

At this point it appears the unstable currency is the one our government has been conjuring out of nothing. I will certainly admit I'd rather have a pound of about anything other than dollars. I'm sure though that inflation is transitory and was only caused by rona, or globull hyster...er warming.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

3 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I’ve never used P3D in my life…… fact check? 

Was it FSX then?

You were talking about terrain morphing / popping being bad, right?  What sim was it then?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

On 11/16/2021 at 3:06 AM, scotchegg said:

it would be ‘RIP Orbx’ and ‘RIP Rex’ etc. 

I remember this part, but it was more nuanced than you're reporting. People were saying RIP Orbx because probably the biggest selling point of the sim for most of us was the vast improvement in scenery. And that came true, for me anyway. I've bought a few airports, but the "buy an entire region" thing is not something I'd ever be interested in doing in this sim. And Orbx is reacting by branching out and not relying on people spending gobs of cash on Vector/global/regional graphics upgrades.

Flight dynamics was also a big selling point, but the top tier add-on planes in FSX/p3d were doing their own thing very well in that realm, so we figured it probably wouldn't be as big of a change. No one that I saw assumed we wouldn't be looking for add-on aircraft.

And we were saying RIP Rex and Active Sky not because we didn't want their products in the new sim, but because we'd already been told weather generators were going to be locked out of the new sim. Given the improved but still poor state of weather accuracy and depiction in the sim, I'd grab Active Sky tonight if they could produce it.

I do not recall anyone claiming that *no* 3rd party products would be necessary because the new sim would cover every conceivable ask from simmers. I can't imagine anyone would be that optimistic, at least around here. 😉

Edited by eslader