Sign in to follow this  
sightseer

Time -- one more time, please

For this series of questions please consider a universe that has only four equal masses with equal 'gravity'.  They form a perfect triangle.  Each of the four produce the maximum possible gravity while at the 3D center of the triangle there is no gravitational force at all.  We have one radioactive particle and, as I understand, as long as I am with that particle, it will always appear to have the same half life.  So now my questions:

1) I am at the gravitational center of the triangle and the particle is closer to a source of mass.  Does it appear to be emitting particles slower or faster?  My understanding is 'slower'.

2) I am at one of the sources of mass.  Does the greatest rate of change of particle emission occur near me at the source of mass or out where the center of all gravitational forces is?  My understanding is that the greatest rate of change occurs nearest a massive object.

3)  Is there a maximum particle emission rate ( a speed limit like when we say nothing can be faster than light)?

4) Are not photons emitted radiation particles and so if you were at the center of the triangle, photons closer to any of the sources of mass would appear slower than photons where you were?

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

🤔  😳

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

4 minutes ago, charliearon said:

🤔  😳

Where is Sheldon Cooper when you need him... 

• Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

My question to add to the mix.....I am also there and still in gaseous anomaly mode after Thanksgiving turkey, If I light one off...will I achieve Warp Speed? I'm a Rocketman! 🚀

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Well, first of all, four points of equal mass arranged to form perfect (equilateral) triangles in 3D space would be a regular tetrahedron, not a triangle.

Bazinga

• Like 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

And a five sided pyramid would be called a pentagon.  Now instead of working with a tetrahedon would a pyramid with four clocks improve the accuracy of the fake GPS or am I showing my ignorance again?

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

2 hours ago, w6kd said:

Well, first of all, four points of equal mass arranged to form perfect (equilateral) triangles in 3D space would be a regular tetrahedron, not a triangle.

Bazinga

That'll be spaghetti with hot dogs and a strawberry Quick for the gentleman! 🍝

Charlie Aron

I was hoping everyone would overlook the triangle mistake.

I've been feeling the need to throw out time (t) in equations because apparently time can only be described in terms of the rate of change that occurs to everything/everywhere that shares that time frame.

v = d/t  velocity equals distance over time.  but only if time (t) is constant across the distance.

acceleration due to gravity has to be rewritten if its true that it involves two different time frames.  I'm sure theres a physicist or mathematician just itching to pull out a bunch of equations that explain it all in a nice tidy sum -- to him or her.  Me I can only speculate and ask word not allowed questions -- questions out of ignorance... just hoping to learn something.

Edited by sightseer

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

6 hours ago, overspeed3 said:

So, will all that have any effect on our warp speed thru the Delta Quadrant?

No! I'm afraid you will have to hitch a ride through the Borg trans-warp corridors. Or you could ask Sisko to have a word with the wormhole aliens. 

I'm suspicious anyway. Why do you need to transit the Gamma Quadrant anyway? Who are you running away from? 

Klingon's after you? 

Edited by martin-w

This morning when i came out of bed i had exactly the same questions in my head, what are the odds?

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | Intel Core i9-10900K @ 5.3GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 | 500 GB M.2 NVMe for win | 2TB M.2 NVMe for FS2020 | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Eric from EHAM, a flying Dutchman.

23 hours ago, sightseer said:

so if you were at the center of the triangle, photons closer to any of the sources of mass would appear slower than photons where you were?

So now Im thinking the answer is 'Yes'... thats what red shift is.  and Im also thinking that there isnt just 'spacetime' but rather 'spacetime' defines a set of rules for you and everything that shares your inertial reference (which I dont think have to be even in the same proximity).  If you could duplicate yourself and send that other self on a trip where he was travelling at half light speed relative to you then the duplicate would have his own spacetime with the same rules.   maybe.