Sign in to follow this  
Stratocruiser1

ADDS,ADDS,ADDS

1 hour ago, Jazz said:

I'm also rather staggered at the word the forum chose to censor in my little rant. Ridiculous 🙄. How pathetically fragile we have become.

Nobody on the moderation team censored any word you used,  I see the word c**p in one of your sentences but the word filter used would have substituted "word not allowed" in it's place.  There are certain words and subject matter that the rules do not allow for discussion.

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

6 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Nobody on the moderation team censored any word you used,  I see the word c**p in one of your sentences but the word filter used would have substituted "word not allowed" in it's place.  There are certain words and subject matter that the rules do not allow for discussion.

I didn't say they did, fella. I said the forum did. It was impossible for a forum mod to have done it because it was instantaneous but the idea that the word that was censored was put on a list somewhere to be censored is as chilling as it is absurd to me. Especially in the context I was using it. I know the forum does this because I have seen "word not allowed" in many posts and always assumed it was some kind of "offensive" swear word someone posted.

Until now.

I put the ** the one word to protect the sensitive, to self censor whilst keeping the filter happy but I did not expect the word that was censored to be censored.

Edited by Jazz

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

I wonder if the forum's censor list will pass Dick van Dyke? 

Edit: apparently it is allowed in this particular example.

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

And I can type crap without any repercussions!   (I think Jim said many years ago that the filters don't affect AVSIM Staff).  Don't quote me! 😳

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Trying to fully use this forum is becoming impossible on an iPhone.  The banner at the top covers the top of the forum and I can’t, for example, click on my notifications as the bell icon is covered.  

I tried downloading firefox and I the ads are still there and ironically I can’t even log in because the top banner ad is covering the sign-in button.

I’m not opposed to ads necessarily but some of these new ones are actually interfering with the function of the forum.

Edit: downloaded AdBlock Pro (free version) and it solves the problem.

Edited by regis9

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

11 hours ago, charliearon said:

There are certain words and subject matter that the rules do not allow for discussion.

I do appreciate that the forum software hides profanities, the scourge of many such places. 

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

58 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

I do appreciate that the forum software hides profanities, the scourge of many such places. 

But it's hiding more than that.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

9 hours ago, n4gix said:

I wonder if the forum's censor list will pass Dick van Dyke? 

Edit: apparently it is allowed in this particular example.

😄

Can the admins change the avsim screen size on mobile? I can't click on "see notifications" at the top or "see new posts" at the bottom. If the team would shrink the size of the actual page on mobile so ads had a dedicated space, instead of appearing on top of already used space, that would do wonders.

• Like 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

4 hours ago, Jazz said:

But it's hiding more than that.

What else?  There are some taboo subjects like politics and religion and certain dirty and profane words but they are easy to get around with substitutes that make the meaning clear.

Noel

• Like 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

38 minutes ago, birdguy said:

What else?  There are some taboo subjects like politics and religion and certain dirty and profane words but they are easy to get around with substitutes that make the meaning clear.

Noel

It was none of those things, Noel and as it's been made clear that avsim for whatever reason doesn't want the word used in any context here I won't write it but it is absurd. It wasn't a swear word. It was not a political word. Just a word like any other you would find in the Oxford English Dictionary. You could use the word to insult someone if you desired but then context, intention and application is everything but there seems to be no room nuance in the modern world. Best just take the words out of eveyones mouths instead. I'm seeing it everywhere these days. Literally eveywhere.

Well, I'm puzzled as to what that word might be.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

Well, I'm puzzled as to what that word might be.

Noel

Would you like me to message you privately to tell you?

1 hour ago, Jazz said:

Would you like me to message you privately to tell you?

Yes, I might be tempted to use it sometime.

Noel

I need some spelling help here guys. 

Is word not allowed spelled I_D_I_O_T?

Is MORON spelled M_O_R_O_N?

Is dumb word not allowed or two words or one word like dumbass?

Noel

Well, there you have it Jazz.  You could have used MORON for the not allowed word.  Or maybe combined the two as usefulIIDIOT or useful_idiot.

Edited by birdguy
A reply to the forbidden word...I was curious.