Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seat*

737 PMDG or IFly?

I'm thinking of getting a 737 for P3D v5.3. Should I go with PMDG or IFly? I feel uncertain with PMDG and their lack of clarity on further updates for P3D. At the same time I have a feeling , right or wrong, that PMDG would be ahead of IFly in terms of system depth.
Thankful for tips.

/Thomas

Thomas ( Sundsvall, ESNN, Sweden)
P3D V5.3 HF1, Intel 9 9900K Oc 5 GHZ 16MB, Corsair Hydro H150i PRO RGB 360mm, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB ROG, 2 Corsair Force M2 MP600 1TB+500Gb, ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO Z390 MB, Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200Mhz CL16, Fractal Design Define S2 Vision, Win 10 Home, BenQ 32" PD3200U 4K IPS monitor

A2A, Majestic Q400, Leonardo Maddog, IFly B737

25 minutes ago, Seat* said:

I'm thinking of getting a 737 for P3D v5.3. Should I go with PMDG or IFly? I feel uncertain with PMDG and their lack of clarity on further updates for P3D. At the same time I have a feeling , right or wrong, that PMDG would be ahead of IFly in terms of system depth.
Thankful for tips.

/Thomas

Possibly a bad time to ask, given feelings posted here with regard to PMDG..... but......

In my case I've got the PMDG - fantastic model, I have zero regrets in getting it. That said I've never heard anything serious said against the iFly - if I was looking at it right now I'd probably get the iFly based on the fact that if it isn't "good enough" for any reason you can get it credited back through Flight One and have lost nothing. 

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

spacer.png

I can tell you that the iFly system is very in-depth.  it even comes with its own cockpit builders edition.  Very well modeled, with systems appropriately simulated.  PMDG may be the more popular one, but iFly is used by a lot of businesses and full-scale simulator builders.  You wouldn't go wrong with it, especially with their most recent update and compatibility with v5.

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Jason Lohrenz (@lohrenz737) • Instagram photos and videos

Lohrenz 737 Simulator Project (lohrenzsimulator.com)

Each has certain small advantages but both are very good addons. The IFly 737 advanced is to be updated soon to correct some small things like oversized fonts which I don’t even notice. IMO the IFly engines seem to spool too fast and the throttles are too sensitive. I believe the NGXu has better taxi model as well. Also the IFly advanced being new doesn’t have many paints available yet.

All that being said I think the IFly is a bit cheaper and you get another 20% discount if you own a previous version. Also IMO IFly has committed to further P3DV5 development while PMDG chases the golden goose so IFly might be the better  company to watch if P3D is your platform of choice.

Vic green

Does the Ifly 737 adv have rain effects?

I5 9600k@ 4.8ghz    rx580 limping-along   2x  23" 1080P Monitors

Patco and jlohrenz -- seems like each of you has both versions.  Is there one you fly more?  I have the PMDG and I'm considering the iFly because the new version likes very well done, and sometimes it fun to try a different version.  I also don't mind supporting another P3D developer.

I haven't bought iFly 737NG Advanced (yet), but I remember from my previous sim times I had both PMDG and iFly 737s and I definitely prefered and used the latter.
Plus I guess PMDG being more advanced might be a repeated myth, due to its huge popularity and being some kind of a religion-like cult (something like Flytampa in the scenery department). 😉

1 minute ago, Rafal said:

I remember from my previous sim times I had both PMDG and iFly 737s and I definitely prefered and used the latter.

Thanks.  Very helpful.  I am a FlyTampa fan though (ducks).  However, FlightBeam has become my favorite.  I've picked up all of their airports.  

Ok, back to the actual topic of the thread!

I think I'm going to give the iFly a try in near future.

1 hour ago, Iadbound said:

Patco and jlohrenz -- seems like each of you has both versions.  Is there one you fly more?  I have the PMDG and I'm considering the iFly because the new version likes very well done, and sometimes it fun to try a different version.  I also don't mind supporting another P3D developer.

Since I bought IFly I’m getting familiar with their configuration methods. Like you say a different version brings some spice to life. One other point, I think the IFly has sharper VC textures, and a little smoother performance but these may be subjective. The IF has a great sound package that absolutely does not need an extra cockpit or engine sound enhancement which I purchased for the NGXu.

Vic green

I just got it today (Ifly 737NG) and my first impressions after 2 Hrs of flying the airplane.
Something very important to be noticed is the LNAV/VNAV and APFD, it works very well in respect to following magenta line, it does fly-by or fly-over very well, IAN approaches work well, level offs at low altitudes, are precise and on speed, no chasing up-down for altitude and smooth level-offs.
Unfortunately, On PMDG aircraft (FMS equipped), these items are still not fixed for such a long time, and who really knows when will get addressed.
To get an idea about study level, I didn't have time to check, and I'm not qualified (type-rated) in this airplane, I cannot make a fair assessment.
All I can say is that I simulated an engine failure at V1 and it did nicely as I expected.
On my system, I find throttle response quite alright and taxing right on the money, maybe "Vic greens" needs to re-calibrate his hardware?
I would like to touch this "study level", I don't think that it would be possible to have a perfect simulation or 100% systems accuracy plus that is impossible to know it all. As a true fact, when we do our check-rides and orals we miss stuff, or simply put we don't know.
Anyhow, back to the subject, I don't think that you would regret purchasing this aircraft.
Fly safe!

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

If I had to buy today I would go with iFly. I also like the fact that iFly announced the 737Max and PMDG hasn't even gone to beta with the Max according to one of their beta testers. I lost faith in PMDG, especially after they announced that P3D development is somewhat on hold as we wait for 2020 which is also delayed. 

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

I have both. I have flown the iFly version just a bit, so far. Both are good and comparable, it seems. The iFly relies on a external tool to set fuel and load values (I don't like this), but otherwise is very nice; good sounds and modeling. VC looks great. I'll be keeping the iFly on my top shelf of aircraft.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

24 minutes ago, RichieFly said:

The iFly relies on a external tool to set fuel and load values (I don't like this)

I'm sort of used to this with the Majestic and the Leonardo (if you want) and the Leonardo instructor panel, but I can understand that it gives something up on immersion.  

I just bought the iFly.  Not going to fly until tomorrow though.

Thanks for all ansvars. I go for the IFly,

/Thomas

Thomas ( Sundsvall, ESNN, Sweden)
P3D V5.3 HF1, Intel 9 9900K Oc 5 GHZ 16MB, Corsair Hydro H150i PRO RGB 360mm, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB ROG, 2 Corsair Force M2 MP600 1TB+500Gb, ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO Z390 MB, Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200Mhz CL16, Fractal Design Define S2 Vision, Win 10 Home, BenQ 32" PD3200U 4K IPS monitor

A2A, Majestic Q400, Leonardo Maddog, IFly B737

Personally, I believe the virtual cockpit model is a lot better and more realistic in the NGXu to the point it looks exactly like the real one. Proportions of individual panels (for example the MCP) and especially the screen design seem off and slightly cartoonish to me in the iFly version. This might not be important to everyone, but for me it's a major drawback since the NGXu cockpit gives me much more the feeling of it being an actual 737 to the point you can't tell the difference between the NGXu screens and the real Boeing screens whereas you can see the screens don't entirely match in the iFly. Also, the background color of the iFly looks too bright, e. g. the grey is too light for a 737, it should be quite a lot darker in tone and more anthracite-like.

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.