Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

Tribute to Bilingual MSFS Simmers

As someone who speaks only one language, I must express my admiration for the many of you multilingual simmers. The topics and terminology used throughout this forum are particularly exacting in terms of the linguistic skills necessary to communicate a message or ask a question or offer a response. I personally can't imagine doing so in a second language. Even the MSFS development team itself is largely composed of multilingual individuals. Many -- perhaps most -- of the best and most helpful contributors to this forum live in non-English-speaking countries. Yet we completely fail to appreciate that, for our own benefit, they communicate in English so that those of us of lesser linguistic flexibility can benefit from their flight sim knowledge. So I just want to say "Thank You" to all you non-native English-speaking simmers, who communicate so graciously in a second language for the benefit of all in this forum. My hat's off to you.   

Edited by David Mills
  • Like 66

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Thank you for the kind words, much acknowledged.

Best regards from Germany, Michael

• Like 11

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

11 minutes ago, pmb said:

Thank you for the kind words, much acknowledged.

Best regards from Germany, Michael

I can emotionally handle that @pmb is more skilled in English than I am, a life-long citizen of the US. And I can emotionally accept that @pmb is among the world's most brilliant theoretical physicists (and I'm not). But I cannot accept that @pmb has a home cockpit and I don't! That's showing off a bit too much. 🙂

Edited by David Mills
  • Like 15

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Thanks for those kind words, greetings from Switzerland (german speaking part, close to the french speaking part). Being capable to communicate in more than one language is something really rewarding, especially if you visit a country and being able to speak their language. Opens doors 😉

• Like 7

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

The sad thing ist that @pmb flies more and more under VR where he doesn't take full advantage of the home cockpit.😉 I really hope there will be a day where "Mixed Reality" will be taken literally.

And I'm definitely not among the most brilliant theoretical physicists either, they're another class, sorry.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 4

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Merci, David. 

It is telling that the Avsim German, French, Italian, Spanish, Turkish, Portuguese forums have never known any success. The members look for a "melting pot" and that goes through English, bringing  together simmers of many countries in here.  

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Merci ! Yes, people don't realized the effort some users make. English is 2nd language for me like many of us at AVSIM.

• Like 5

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Dankjewel David from the Nether🥳lands 

• Like 5

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Thanks, it´s a good point indeed. I almost forget that English is not my mother tongue (it´s Spanish), as I have to use it every day in the job, when looking for something online, anything related to tech... In fact, in aviation, most of the vocabulary is coming from the English language anyway. But then I have to speak in German and I come to appreciate the efficiency and simplicity of English 

• Like 4

Thank you very much David!
Greetings from the Holy Land!
🍻

• Like 7

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

52 minutes ago, kkbelos said:

But then I have to speak in German and I come to appreciate the efficiency and simplicity of English 

Well ... yes.

In my mind, it was a big disadvantage raising the entry level, notable for children, that Prepar3d was available in English language only. Initially, this question was raised on the Prepar3d forum a few times (by me an others) but there was never any positive response. It's certainly based on the fact their main target audience is either English native or at least fluent.

While I use all sims in the English version only (just for communicatrion of error messages and such) I find it a big advantage MSFS is available in several languages (even Chinese is on the agenda). I never tried them, but I think X-Plane and Aerofly sport German lanugage versions as well.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 2

Thank you for those kind words. Dankeschön! I may add, since I've been posting in this forum my English became better and better ... that's at least what I believe 😉

Edited by Nemo
  • Like 9

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Thanks David for the nice post, vielen Dank!

Reading and writing in an English flight sim forum for me is the most enjoyable way of improving and maintaining my English skills and I benefit from that a lot.

Not only did I learn a lot about aviation and IT language and terminology, I also learned about colloquial language, and I got to know many phrases and expressions I never heard before. There are so many different people with different background and education participating in this forum that we non-native speakers get the chance to learn all kinds of english/american language here - en passant while enjoying (well most of the time...) the discussions about our beloved hobby.

• Like 3

Thanks David but it’s really not a big deal especially if one is an aviator:)

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI