Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Asobo is hopefully already looking at this: clouds/weather

8 minutes ago, pmb said:

I am afraid most of us will have to draw a line when it comes to buying addons. Or avoid buying addons at all.

Imho MFSF is the best sim ever in my 35 years of simming. And so far I bought ONLY one add on for MSFS (Kodiak). The default sim is SO good that I don't feel the need for any more add ons. Certainly not scenery! (Take note: I also use the FBW A32NX and the WT G1000 Xi, which certainly makes a difference in this regard.) 

The on-the-ground palm tree pic and the on-the-ground cemetery pic and the on-the-ground waterfront video prove my point -- there are no previews from altitude (i.e., what your sim actually looks like while you're flying). Also, these are tiny, handcrafted, special-treatment, city-block-size, cherry-picked spots, rather than worldwide scenery such as MSFS beautifully showcases.

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

5 minutes ago, tup61 said:

Imho MFSF is the best sim ever in my 35 years of simming. And so far I bought ONLY one add on for MSFS (Kodiak). The default sim is SO good that I don't feel the need for any more add ons. Certainly not scenery! (Take note: I also use the FBW A32NX and the WT G1000 Xi, which certainly makes a difference in this regard.) 

I have been flying into default airports in the Solomon Islands and New Guinea. They look great No need for any add ons. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

12 minutes ago, David Mills said:

The on-the-ground palm tree pic and the on-the-ground cemetery pic and the on-the-ground waterfront video prove my point -- there are no previews from altitude (i.e., what your sim actually looks like while you're flying). Also, these are tiny, handcrafted, special-treatment, city-block-size, cherry-picked spots, rather than worldwide scenery such as MSFS beautifully showcases.

There are views from altitude, about 10 feet AGL.....😃

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

4 hours ago, mtaxp said:

Maybe you are talking about this?

https://www.x-plane.com/2020/07/new-xavion-weather-maps/

Pretty much what x-plane 12 weather system is going to be, at least according to Austin.

Perhaps that is where Jean-Luc's impression from the screenshot in part came from, awareness of Xavion.  It appears Xavion weather maps are only reading source information so my question at this point is this data resolution sufficient to be able to spawn very regional clouds from, at some level at least. It may well be so we'll have to continue to see how it unfolds and ultimately how much it emulates what real world clouds look like in those sorts of conditions, and if it does this very well then we are getting closer to a holy grail for weather/cloud depiction.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

17 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I have been flying into default airports in the Solomon Islands and New Guinea. They look great No need for any add ons. 

I know, and a lot of others do the same and there's certainly nothing wrong with this. MSFS provides excellent base scenery indeed.

On the other hand, there seem to be a non-negligible number of users (including me) buying MSFS addons - otherwise ORBX, AS, and friends would be bancrupt already.

But this lies certainly outside the subject of this topic, thus will be my last statement in this regard.😉

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

I like talking about currently available programs, not vapor ware. 

Oh Ok, the other product does not exist.

1 hour ago, David Mills said:

Moreover, the idea that Asobo is nervously watching LR and taking meticulous notes about X-Plane 12 is truly a joke.

Has this been suggested?

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

49 minutes ago, David Mills said:

some.png

I mean...you are right though. And this shot is still v11 DSFs (The global scenery files). No footage of the global scenery that is coming in v12 is available yet but I already mentioned why, if you choose to play the "ignore" game then it's up to you 😆

The new DSFs will have content like: More kinds of OSM data to fit the new autogen, better texture placements, water colors & depth, seasons...

And everything is still under development, not even beta testing, development, this include the clouds & lighting.

P.S. this is why imo this should be move to the right forum, so if someone is really interested can get rather true information.

Edited by mtaxp
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, tup61 said:

That really is me too.  Initially, coming from years of FSX/P3D, I bought 5 airports in the first month.  Once I started logging lots of hours my purchasing rate went to one more, and it was recently purchased. My take is unless you really personally know the airport, the default airports in MSFS are so good there seems to be so little point as the default airport is every bit as plausible as the more accurate one.  Many of the default airports are simply stunning.  One cool exception is Fly Tampa's KLAS which expands beyond to the greater Las Vegas detail and is very well done.  That may be true for other airports as well but as an airliner flying mostly that kind of local detail isn't particularly relevant.  I will save my $$ for PMDG planes and a few other minor enhancements.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, mtaxp said:

P.S. this is why imo this should be move to the right forum, so if someone is really interested can get rather true information.

The reason this thread is in the MSFS forum is because the OP posted a presumed screenshot from X-Plane 12 in the MSFS forum and solicited comments.

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

1 hour ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Has this been suggested?

Yes. The theory that Asobo is allegedly keeping a close eye on LR is contained in the very title of this thread: "Asobo is hopefully already looking at this: clouds/weather."

1 hour ago, mtaxp said:

some.png

I think the sun just turned into a supernova.

11 minutes ago, David Mills said:

I think the sun just turned into a supernova.

MSFS looks like this with bloom enabled

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

48 minutes ago, David Mills said:
2 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Has this been suggested?

Yes. The theory that Asobo is allegedly keeping a close eye on LR is contained in the very title of this thread: "Asobo is hopefully already looking at this: clouds/weather."

I feel the spirit of the thread was a hope that if Laminer Research has made an advance in cloud depiction, MS/Asobo would pick up on it and maybe incorporate the ideas in this years weather update.  MS/Asobo may already have an amazing new cloud rendering process for us that exceeds the preview images LR have posted!  This is why the LR preview images are exciting - nothing to do with one sim being better than the other, but rather the possibilities coming our way!
You stated 'the idea that Asobo is nervously watching LR and taking meticulous notes about X-Plane 12 is truly a joke' - I didn't see this suggested at all.  Of course MS isn't running scared of LR, but if the small guy has discovered something new, surely its exciting to think a new technology may make its way into MSFS?

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

20 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:
I feel the spirit of the thread was a hope that if Laminer Research has made an advance in cloud depiction, MS/Asobo would pick up on it and maybe incorporate the ideas in this years weather update.  MS/Asobo may already have an amazing new cloud rendering process for us that exceeds the preview images LR have posted!  This is why the LR preview images are exciting - nothing to do with one sim being better than the other, but rather the possibilities coming our way!
You stated 'the idea that Asobo is nervously watching LR and taking meticulous notes about X-Plane 12 is truly a joke' - I didn't see this suggested at all.  Of course MS isn't running scared of LR, but if the small guy has discovered something new, surely its exciting to think a new technology may make its way into MSFS?

100%.  I guess it's a manifestation of "Identity Flight Simming", the Us v Them orientation that fuels these suspicions and reactions. 

Noel