Sign in to follow this  
cianpars

MSFS completely wiped

18 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I am so glad I stayed away from the beta. It sounded like an accident going someplace to happen when I first heard about it. 

Thank you. I didn't think it so much an accident as a totally unnecessary risk. Back in the day, participating in betas felt fun, a hassle free adventure with no tricky outcomes riddled with regrets. Nowadays, regrets a plenty for some. I admire those who did and assisted Asobo in doing so. Not me. 

United001 

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 8 Logical Processors; Mobo: Z390 Phatom Gaming 4S-IB: Physical Memory: 16Gigs; GPU: NVIDIA GeForce FTX 2080 Super, 8 Gigs; 500Gigs Hard-Drive; 1TB SSD; 1TB SSD; 50" Samsung 4K Flat-screen monitor; 26" LG side-car monitor. Saitek Yoke and Throttle. Saitek Rudder Pedals.
Screen Resolution: Full Screen: 1920X1080 Full and Windowed modes. 

I know one shouldn't HAVE to, but backups before major system changes are a great insurance policy. Threads like this remind me of stall-spin-in-the-pattern accidents - the causes as well as mitigations are well known, yet it's one of the most common killers in GA. Doesn't make me a bit of difference whether folks backup or not, but one would think one wouldn't want to keep embarrassing themselves by continuing to admit they have no backup.

• Like 1

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

I didn't back up my community folder, but I did rename it and install a replacement empty community folder in it's place. The reinstall deleted the renamed community folder as well, so I still need to reinstall every thing. Ughhh...

Kerry W. Gipe
Savannah Georgia, USA
US FAA A&P / Commercial Pilot Multi Engine Land IFR

Your talent is a gift from God. How you use your talent is your gift back to God.

2 hours ago, GACSavannah said:

I didn't back up my community folder, but I did rename it and install a replacement empty community folder in it's place. The reinstall deleted the renamed community folder as well, so I still need to reinstall every thing. Ughhh...

If you use the AddOn Linker, you can place your add ons in a safe directory that will never be deleted. The AddOn Linker will then create a virtual folder in your Community folder that points to your actual add on folder.

When I update MSFS, I can also quickly use the AddOn Linker to remove all virtual directories in the Community folder, thereby emptying the Community folder in preparation for an MSFS update.  And you can disable  addons that you are not using with the AddOn Linker, allowing MSFS to load faster,

• Like 2

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

19 hours ago, Roy Warren said:

I tried to copy and paste my Community folder to another location.   Got error message. "Your organization does not allow you to place this file here"

There is a simple method to transfer your add-ons from the Community folder into one located outside MSFS, that can then be used by Add-on Linker as mentioned three times already in this thread (please note that credit for this should go to VG Baron one of the AVSIM moderators):

1. Zip your add-on one by one from the Community folder into the folder of your choice outside MSFS (for example Addon Airplanes/Scenery/Tools/Liveries, etc). This can be done with 7Zip free version.
  2. Unzip the file in your new folder and delete the original one in the Community folder
  3. Link it with Add-on Linker. Done

You will never have to worry about your add-ons again.

I am surprised by the number of experienced simmers who are not aware of this tool that simplifies so much the management of add-ons. I have hundreds of them, mostly freeware like liveries, and organising them with Add-on linker is so much easier and faster. Beside this already considerable benefit, you can visualise all your scenery add-ons on one map and activate them as you wish making your MSFS faster. Another benefit is that you can start a few other tools simultaneously with MSFS (like Aivlasoft EFB, Track IR, FBW MCDU tablet linker, etc).

Edited by Bernard Ducret
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Bernard

CPU = 12900K / GPU = Nvidia 3090 VRAM 24 GB / RAM = 64 GB / SSD = 2 TB 980 PRO PCle 4.0 NVMe™ M.2,