Sign in to follow this  
cianpars

MSFS completely wiped

1 hour ago, ErichB said:

This just happened to me as well.  151GB download initiated

I'm not really that bothered by it.  A clean install is probably not a bad thing for me at this stage, considering the loading problems I've been having.  All good.

Some people are missing the point.  I followed the instructions.  I had a 'non-standard' installation on my F drive.  On opt out, it wanted to put a new installation on the C drive, but I pointed to the F drive and it verified the files and accepted them - fine!   However, it still wrote over the config files in the WPsytem directory.  If you haven't adjusted your user config or set custom camera positions then it won't affect you.

I made a backup of the user config file in the WPsystem folder (User.Config.opt.bak), however, it decided to delete the whole folder and start again so I lost the backups.
Someone Correct me if I am wrong, but there are no instructions or notifications about about this issue.

Still, I live and learn.  I will back up the whole WPsystem folder next time onto another drive.  I accept it was a beta and that things like this can happen.
However, there is no denying, they could still make the beta opt out and general update process easier.  I don't know any other titles where the process is so convoluted like this.

• Like 3

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I tried to copy and paste my Community folder to another location.   Got error message. "Your organization does not allow you to place this file here"

I tried several locations and drives.  How do I do this?

Roy

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

I don't know any other titles where the process is so convoluted like this.

They rushed it out of the door to appease folks over the Christmas break. They don't have good release procedures at the best of times. I wasn't affected by it, but I still need to say, 'it shouldn't be this difficult'.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Roy Warren said:

I tried to copy and paste my Community folder to another location.   Got error message. "Your organization does not allow you to place this file here"

Roy

First is your install on your C:\?  Second do you have multiple drives in your system?  You might have to take ownership permissions of folders giving you trouble.  It's best never to put FS on the C:\.  It's also best to have another physical drive in your system for data only.  That would be were you save the backup of your Community folder.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

When I have use "beta" version of a game or play test server based game. The install is completly on its own, you can run both side by side, none of the MSFS beta rubbish. 

I said people were brave for using the beta, saddly some are paying the price, I really feel for you guys.😞

• Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

10 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

When I have use "beta" version of a game or play test server based game. The install is completly on its own, you can run both side by side, none of the MSFS beta rubbish. 

I said people were brave for using the beta, saddly some are paying the price, I really feel for you guys.😞

Under Steam, you can only run non-beta or beta at a time. You can opt in or out but not run both in parallel. And this refers to all Steam games (and actually also all Steam tools including e.g. SteamVR), not only MSFS.

And I never had an issue with this, neither in MSFS (including the latest hotfix) nor with a few other Steam games I use.

Kind regards

Edited by pmb
  • Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

7 hours ago, Gelrd said:

Yup same smooth and trouble-free installation. I heard about horror stories just like this thread for example and backed up my community folder, and my user settings but it turns out those weren't affected at all.  

To put it into perspective, this is my first time trying the beta and the process was so smooth that when I opted out of the beta I didn't even need to download anything!  Like wait that's it? No issues at all?

I am using steam, and I installed my msfs folder on a different default drive which might explains why. 

Same with the store version. As long as you have MSFS in a non-default location the worst that can happen is you need to re-install the core sim, just a couple of GB's.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

29 minutes ago, pmb said:

Under Steam, you can only run non-beta or beta at a time. You can opt in or out but not run both in parallel. And this refers to all Steam games (and actually also all Steam tools including e.g. SteamVR), not only MSFS.

And I never had an issue with this, neither in MSFS (including the latest hotfix) nor with a few other Steam games I use.

Kind regards

New World, runs on steam, you can installed and use both the beta (Play test version, when live) and use the live version. They both have there own installs hence no problems.

WoW, I ran both the live and PT server versions a lot myself.

To many people having problems with MSFS for me to risk using the beta. Hence all the probelms in this topic.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Has anyone encountered this problem using Steam, provided you left Beta before updating?

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

30 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

New World, runs on steam, you can installed and use both the beta (Play test version, when live) and use the live version. They both have there own installs hence no problems.

But how do you do that? To my best knowledge, you can only install one Steam client on a machine and this has the several games integrated in its path under /Steamapps. Steam itself only provides the option to opt in or out from a beta (or switch between different betas as it's the case for some games).

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

36 minutes ago, pmb said:

But how do you do that? To my best knowledge, you can only install one Steam client on a machine and this has the several games integrated in its path under /Steamapps. Steam itself only provides the option to opt in or out from a beta (or switch between different betas as it's the case for some games).

Kind regards, Michael

It installs the beta's That I have used in there own folder under a diffrent name. 

Ive not tried or will with MSFS, but if it was like what i have seen would look like.

Steam under your game's list

MSFS

MSFS Beta.

Both would have there own install folders and sub folders like two totally diffrent game. They dont touch each othere or use any files jointly.

World of warcraft  WoW was the same two totaly indepented installs one was "live" one was a "play test"

WoW

WoW PTS

I dont use MSFS with stream. MS store. All MSFS has to do is make a "beta version" with its completly diffrent install and make that version use its play test servers and when they dont want you to test the lastest beta, they turn off the play test servers. They would have to make the play test version online only or always connected to one of there play test servers to work.

So if the play test servers were live you could fly on that, then close it and then use the "normal" current MSFS version. Basicly you have two versions of the game/sim. one "stable" one "beta"

Edited by Nyxx

2 hours ago, Roy Warren said:

Roy

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/your-organization-does-not-allow-you-to-place-this/15ea1837-d8b5-454a-95ee-aeb4cb036028

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I forgot about the process required and as with the other two installs of MSFS I've done, the initial, and a reinstall after reinstalling Win10, it's just no big deal.  I say that because while it takes hours to complete, it requires almost no active interaction:

1. Update the main install--this is a one click operation for my standard install.
  2. After #1 completes, go to Content Manager and select all the updates at once, then click download.
  3. After #2 completes we copied all Community Folder addons that were saved in the Downloads folder.  The downloads folder is my backup of the Community folder
  4. Reran Aerosoft installer for Simple Traffic, then Navigraph to update.

I describe this as NBD because it's mostly a passive project:  click and return in a few hours to check progress.  It is simple, and we're up and running and it's all good.  Load times seems to have sped up FWIW.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

3 hours ago, Roy Warren said:

Roy

I was able to put a copy in a backup folder by copying and pasting the entire Package folder which includes the Community and Official folders.

Roy