Sign in to follow this  
PilotPete99

I’m such a Nerd

Would be nice if some scenery developer also notice the improvments of P3D aswell and do not look into the 'playmobile' MSFS only

• Upvote 1

It's first of all related to faster and easier money.. Fast growing market, hype of the new toy, easier to develop addons (scenery wise).

4 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Texture clarity seems better in P3D as does the LoDRadius

Yep, correct.
And yet someone else will say they get aerial imagery of Austria for free in MSFS, rather than pay Flugwerk €88.89 for both parts of their Austria photoreal product or pay Aerosoft $97.19 for the Austria bundle pack.
Everyone has their own rationale for their sim of choice.

My choice is P3D, because like Rob, I've also no interest in free default airports and free default aircraft. P3D has a rich library of add-ons to choose from (I've recently picked-up QualityWings' Ultimate 146 Collection for under $20 and I am having a blast with it).
And also like @okupton said, a feature-rich P3D offers an incredible amount of immersion for us heavy metal drivers.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

23 hours ago, Holdit said:

I came back from a long period away from simming and decided to stick with MSFS for GA VFR and use X-Plane 11, which I hadn't used much but was quite impressed with, for IFR. Then I realised (a) I had a number of aircraft that I really like for in P3D for which there are no good equivalents in MSFS or XP11, and (b) I had upgraded P3D to 4.5 but had never really tried it out, so I did just that. I don't don't know what happened between P3D versions but now my sim hums along nicely and it's performing better than it ever did. The only issue is the flying-on-rails tendency but I find that Active Sky knocks that on the head.

So I still have three sims. Each has its own set of strengths and weaknesses and currently each is getting equal amounts of flying time. I'm in a happier simming place now than I've ever been.. 

That said, I don't have any plans to go to P3D 5, but that doesn't mean I never will.

That's been my opinion all along as well. We pretty much have 3 incomplete sims, each fitting a particular niche. I do believe that MSFS will be the best all-in-one product out there, but it will take a couple of years before it matures. I don't fly P3D anymore, but I do use XP from time to time, and am looking forward to seeing what XP12 brings to the table. I just can't get totally immersed in MSFS- I think part of the problem is that I've waited so long that I kind outgrew my simming addiction along the way. 

This "increased P3D activity" on the forums you're so excited about... well if you look at the actual content you'll see that 99.5% of the increased activity and the content in general consists of:

- same old MSFS bashing

- people trying to convince themselves that P3D is not dead and that it has a bright future

Other than that, there is no increased activity. Just the same old discussions about the same issues that have been discussed for the last 15 years, e.g. popping autogen, CTDs, stuttering, pauses every x seconds, floating buildings and so on.

Edited by Multisim

5 minutes ago, Multisim said:

This "increased P3D activity" on the forums you're so excited about... well if you look at the actual content you'll see that 99.5% of the increased activity and the content in general consists of:

- same old MSFS bashing

- people trying to convince themselves that P3D is not dead and that it has a bright future

Other than that, there is no increased activity.

Your post history speaks for itself.  Actually the new content in this sub forum is actually new content.  a new hotfix released and people have responded positively here.  As we try and work out the bug which can cause some intermittent issues.  But LM is on it.  People who like to fly airliners are largely not happy with MSFS.  It's really not that hard to understand. But your post history... PS: Are you guys commissioned by Asobo or is something just missing in your life?

Edited by micstatic
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 3

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

5 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

It is and it's no better than (actually seems worse to me) than the old Flugwerks Austria East/West I bought 7 years ago that hasn't been changed only the installers updated for P3D V4 only.  I created a Add-On.xml for it and zipped it up so it's super easy to install into P3D Vx.x.  Well not really "free" but comes with MSFS original purchase rather than having to pay for an add-on.

The problem I have with MSFS has is that they don't seem to be focusing on what I want to see in a simulator and they seem very bound to the technology of XBOX as being the limiting factor to what they will do in the future ... I don't believe we'll see some of the features I want so long as MSFS is bound to that technology.  I've had enough of the "maybe in the future" and operate in the "now".  One can apply "maybe in the future" to P3D, to XP, to some as yet unknown FS platform ... but what about NOW? 🙂

Cheers, Rob.

I knew from start for MS - the main drivers are pushing people to Xbox gaming subscription services (as they are competition with Netflix, Nvidia, Apple on this) - this is the plan-  plain and simple and Xbox Sales.  After a while, people are just paying subs and barely using the product (MS could care less, just pay the sub seriously and they will keep on providing enough bells and whistles to keep the person happy)....They can talk all they want about User for the PC but talk is only talk.   

Edited by Skywolf
  • Like 1

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

8 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Hate to break the news to you, these issues are present in MSFS also.

That is a fact indeed. I have seen a lot of it. Even Terrain popping (due small LOD) in mountains, autogen fading (is the modern popping) in and out again, CTD far more then P3D (my last P3D CTD, which was an issue of SODE btw, was with 5.1! I never had one CTD since then which was caused by the plattform. And very few (3 or 4 a year ago) which was an issue with trueglass, reallight and a EFB issue at QW 787 (which is probably an issue on my end too).

And THAT is with more then 250 Addons installed!

That´s what I call a stable plattform.

Issue is.......less addon development ongoing. And even IF P3D would make major changes to the sim with more eye candy, the questions stay IF devs will "update" the excisting products. 

Marcus  

• Like 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

On the one hand, this current version of P3D is the best its ever been. On the other, of course it is. Passage of time and what not. But it shouldn't have taken ~18 months for V5 to get to this point where lighting is still garbage and vol clouds are useless for actual simulation of weather systems. Pick up the pace and streamline the development process so devs can do parallel releases for MSFS and P3D and create parity with add-on pricing. That's what's killing P3D. 

In any case, Asobo is focused on their walled garden and LM is focused on commercial and defense contracts. I'm looking forward to XP12, especially after flying Hot Start's 650 this past week.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

and vol clouds are useless for actual simulation of weather systems

Yes since Active sky is unable to pinpoint the ceiling (according to Damian recently on this forum we should expect an inaccuracy of 500ft-1000ft with vol clouds). After 18 months, this is a failure for a stable platform as P3d.

Actually, whole EA debacle is a wart on V5. It is truly still in beta for us customers. Thanks to @BiologicalNanobot for saving LM:s face and releasing proper shader instructions.
18 months LM....

Might aswell give up EA for v5 and fix it properly for P3D V6.

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

1 hour ago, micstatic said:

Your post history speaks for itself.  Actually the new content in this sub forum is actually new content.  a new hotfix released and people have responded positively here.  As we try and work out the bug which can cause some intermittent issues.  But LM is on it.  People who like to fly airliners are largely not happy with MSFS.  It's really not that hard to understand. But your post history...

Itsn't it a bit ironic that you disagree with my argument that this forum is mostly MSFS bashing - by bashing MSFS.

1 hour ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Ignorance is bliss or are you just having a hard time coming up with something valid?

Hate to break the news to you, these issues are present in MSFS also.

Cheers, Rob.

That's not really a useful comparison.

One of the sims is fairly new so bugs are expected. I have no problem with bugs, I have a problem with developers not fixing known bugs. Many of the bugs in P3D discussed these days have their origin in the FSX code base. If MSFS is still around in 10 years and has exactly the same bugs as it has today, I'll acknowledge your "MSFS has it too" argument.

Also, one of the sims is pushing the limits of what a sim can do and it's still in an early stage. The other one looks and feels like any game did about 10 years ago and it has been at a technological standstill for many years (kept alive only by talented 3rd party devs who are mostly no longer around). Popping scenery and similar artifacts is kind of harder to avoid in a sim that tries to look like the real world, compared to a sim that looks like, well, you know. It's like the FS9 guys who say that they use FS9 instead of P3D because it's much smoother. Well yeah, of course it is, becase it's like 320x200 in 256 colors. Getting it right in P3D is "slightly" different than getting it right in MSFS.

There are many bugs in MSFS but I've yet to see any floating buildings or jumping airplanes on the runway or CTDs or popping runway lights or AI a/c sounds that disapperars at certain angles and other goodies that are still around in P3D and that was there in my FS9 setup.

8 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

... but you seem to ignore the same issues in MSFS?  Make that work for me?

Already did above.  Still a bad argument.

FS9 is much smoother than P3D on my PC and has no popping autogen and no stuttering etc.  If that makes FS9 a better sim, your argument would be valid.

57 minutes ago, Multisim said:

That's not really a useful comparison.

One of the sims is fairly new so bugs are expected. I have no problem with bugs, I have a problem with developers not fixing known bugs. Many of the bugs in P3D discussed these days have their origin in the FSX code base. If MSFS is still around in 10 years and has exactly the same bugs as it has today, I'll acknowledge your "MSFS has it too" argument.

Also, one of the sims is pushing the limits of what a sim can do and it's still in an early stage. The other one looks and feels like any game did about 10 years ago and it has been at a technological standstill for many years (kept alive only by talented 3rd party devs who are mostly no longer around). Popping scenery and similar artifacts is kind of harder to avoid in a sim that tries to look like the real world, compared to a sim that looks like, well, you know. It's like the FS9 guys who say that they use FS9 instead of P3D because it's much smoother. Well yeah, of course it is, becase it's like 320x200 in 256 colors. Getting it right in P3D is "slightly" different than getting it right in MSFS.

There are many bugs in MSFS but I've yet to see any floating buildings or jumping airplanes on the runway or CTDs or popping runway lights or AI a/c sounds that disapperars at certain angles and other goodies that are still around in P3D and that was there in my FS9 setup.

Honestly.  Just go away.  If you were so happy with the sim you wouldn't even be here in the first place.  First, MSFS isn't new.  I was in the alpha over two years.  It was being tested and worked on years before that.  I mean, MSFS can't even figure out to have the runway lights be turned off during the day.  Eye candy is great when the rest of the sim works. 

Why do you feel the need to come here and state things that most of us totally disagree with you on?  It's pathetic.  

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next