Sign in to follow this  
Gnacino

Snow Covering

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

I wonder if it is Zinertek which I have had since it came out.

Thats definitely it. 

Sorry, re Bijan's Snow Mask I mentioned earlier, I'm out here on the West Coast where we don't get much snow, so I hadn't had a chance to really try the Snow Mask out. I just went back east, where there's plenty of snow, and the Mask, while removing snow from runways and taxiways, also tends to blank out the runway markings.  So maybe not so useful. But one thing I did notice: the snow cover depends on using Live weather. So If you briefly switch Live weather off and use one of the presets, say while on finals, the snow cover disappears, and you'll be able to see runway and markings while landing.. 

One other thing I noticed when I went to Toronto's CYYZ Pearson. While the ground was covered with snow, the runways, taxiways, and aprons were only partly covered. So I guess the MSFS weather engine does allow for just partial coverage, depending on real world airport information.

I hope that's helpful to someone. - Bob 

If a runway or taxiway texture is lighter, such as concrete, it will be difficult to see, the snow will cover it.  If it is asphalt or dark,  the snow is usually cleared.  This is how it was explained to me by a scenery designer.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 hour ago, ryanbatcund said:

If a runway or taxiway texture is lighter, such as concrete, it will be difficult to see, the snow will cover it.  If it is asphalt or dark,  the snow is usually cleared.  This is how it was explained to me by a scenery designer.

This is correct for default textures with live weather.  Replacement runway textures also overcome the problems. 

I'm surprised more simmers haven't felt this issue needs more immediate attention from Asobo as it reminds me of adding haze to the sim - unrealistically implemented for many, many areas.  

While I appreciate the addition of the snow mask in attempting to push the sim forward, when you can't see the runway (or taxiways or markings) at many airports in a flight simulator, what is the point??  If this mask was a 3rd party mod, sans 3rd party textures such as Zinertek, it would have been long gone from most community folders, but we don't have that option.

While this seems like the ideal candidate to be fixed with SU8, I wouldn't hold out hope, despite the problems being raised by 3rd party devs way back on Jun 23, 2021.   Add a tool / polygon to control snow

To be fair, the Asobo reply is brief and could have been directed at the 3rd party request for the tool But, if they have no plans to address these types of core sim issues with a little more immediacy, particularly when a "fix" update is scheduled/promoted to focus on the core sim, then just don't release the "feature" until it's ready, imho.      

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Regards, Kendall

I ad the same at an airport a few times.. Thought first the the textures were missing, was a little odd.

Victor Roos

You want real world well this is it. Accept the challenge.  Everything doesn't have to be perfect.  If I landed on one, you should be able to. Sure it was difficult, but it can be done.

Roy

17 hours ago, fppilot said:

The workaround is to take care of it in the simulator itself!  Was not there like this in previous simulators or their separate development branches.

Well I'll use my "workaround" (along with the fantastic Bijan's 4 Seasons pack) to happily fly my sim in snowy conditions today while you patiently wait for Asobo to fix what I'm not sure they even consider broken.

Have the Zintertec product as well as the taxiway workaround (free on .to) and Bijan's 4 seasons (not currently running the snow mask) and have no issues navigating airports in snow cover.  Nice touch if Zinertec tweeked the lines for snow.   Works well.

16 hours ago, BBCM said:

If you have Bijan's 4 Season pack, v7.00+, there is an option called "Snow Mask" which removes snow cover from runways and taxiways, as well as surrounding roads.  

-Bob

And are you satisfied with Bijan's Season Pack?
Does it reliably remove all the snow off RWYs and TWYs on addon airports?

In my opinion, for my part of the country (that gets a lot of snow) it isn't very realistic for any kind of decent sized airport.  You'd really only see conditions like that during a snowstorm where the plows can't keep up.  The game sort of ignores the fact that snow would get plowed off most surfaces, or at least worn down from traffic. 

FWIW, here in Buffalo we had 3 inches of snow per hour a few weeks back, followed by 5 inches in an hour at the airport last week.  Once the snow stops, it should be cleared quickly, not still be there many days later. Our airport almost never closes, and if it does it is usually due to extreme winds combined with snow that make things dangerous. 

It all varies by conditions and airports of course.  Snow cover is actually a lot more complex than people appreciate.  I'd bet people would be surprised at how little the ground is really fully snow covered.  2 weeks ago was our first real snow that covered the ground for any time, and even then we had one warm day and a lot of it melted.  Even a sunny day still below freezing can melt a lot of it. 

(Unfortunately I have a lot of real world experience with this) 😀

Edited by kerosene31
  • Like 1

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

14 hours ago, BBCM said:

[...] So If you briefly switch Live weather off and use one of the presets, say while on finals, the snow cover disappears, and you'll be able to see runway and markings while landing.. 

To be fair, it is just not practicable to fiddle around with settings on final approach. How should this work when flying online on VATSIM?
"Tower, request permission to remain steady on short final for a minute, I need to get rid of the snow on the runway, cause I can't even see where it's supposed to be!"

Runways on international airports are never covered in snow that thicc, that you can't even see where it should be.

If there's heavy snowfall and the RWY surface is covered in snow, OPS get suspended for 15 minutes to clear the runway and taxiways.

Is this really what some guys want to see?

11b4e31b3474c06016918ef3d93cb6ece1b083ad

Come on, tell me where the threshold is supposed to be... I can't tell from that pic.

I can absolutely second what @irocx said in his post:

10 hours ago, irocx said:

This is correct for default textures with live weather.  Replacement runway textures also overcome the problems. 

I'm surprised more simmers haven't felt this issue needs more immediate attention from Asobo as it reminds me of adding haze to the sim - unrealistically implemented for many, many areas.  

While I appreciate the addition of the snow mask in attempting to push the sim forward, when you can't see the runway (or taxiways or markings) at many airports in a flight simulator, what is the point??  If this mask was a 3rd party mod, sans 3rd party textures such as Zinertek, it would have been long gone from most community folders, but we don't have that option.

While this seems like the ideal candidate to be fixed with SU8, I wouldn't hold out hope, despite the problems being raised by 3rd party devs way back on Jun 23, 2021.   Add a tool / polygon to control snow

To be fair, the Asobo reply is brief and could have been directed at the 3rd party request for the tool But, if they have no plans to address these types of core sim issues with a little more immediacy, particularly when a "fix" update is scheduled/promoted to focus on the core sim, then just don't release the "feature" until it's ready, imho.     

To all who can't use MSFS right now and for the next two months, please vote on this topic over at the official FS forum:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/get-rid-of-the-snow-on-runways-taxiways-aprons-and-roads/339131/81

This issue was finally taken up in the "Top Wishes" at Asobos weekly Dev Update and is currently #55.
IMHO, it should be #1 as you can't use the sim during winter and I guess it's a PITA for devs to not have an option to have clear RWYs and TWYs.
I've even had to switch back to P3D V4.5 recently due to this major bug and the other major bug of floating and disappearing lights.
I should demand my money back cause I can't use MSFS at all when there's winter conditions or low vis/night.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I haven't landed in snow but a few times but as I remember, with the G1000Nx,i you can watch the screen and it shows a perfectly clear image of the runway, complete with threshold and markings. It will guide you.

Roy

19 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I just landed at PAMR, Merrill Field in Anchorage, Alaska, and I see the taxi ways as I usually do.

spacer.png

Mine don't look like that.  The runways are fine but the taxiways, the markings are just a shade darker white.

• Like 2

I have Zintertec and doesn't have this issue.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |