1. 1. Favorite World Update so far.

• Japan
    • USA
    • United Kingdom
    • France
    • Nordics
    • Germany, Austria, Switzerland
    • Australia

I liked the Nordics update most, not because it was so great on its own but because it was so bad before the update. Strange holes and spikes all over the place in Norway. Awful. Now it's quite okay. Other updates I can't really judge because for instance I never flew in Australia before the update so I don't know how much better it is. Parts look great but large parts don't look to good to me... makes me wonder how it looked before the update... The US had an update too but large parts of it don't look too good to me (mainly because of all the too cold greens all over the place).

I like to fly over Spain because a lot of that scenery is really beautiful: I really hope it won't be screwed up (like some parts of various WU updates look screwed up) with the Iberia update...

Australia is about 15 times bigger than Spain and USA  it is 19 times, it's only mandatory they make a very detailed WU 8 if you think of it. It might very well be the smallest WU in square kilometers so far. Spain and Portugal are rich in biomas and culture but  Iberia is around the same size of France. Thing is, Northern and southern Spain are like two different count....continents, something that regarding landscape it happens often in Southern Europe.

Edited by Aristoteles

Iñigo Bildarratz

18 hours ago, Aristoteles said:

I am enjoying WU7 quite a lot and I was thinking what was your opinion on FS World Updates so far. I would place Australia (still, lots to be seen and enjoyed) on top 3, 1 and spots being Switzerland and France, with UK, being a close 4th. 

I have installed WU7 but have not flown anywhere in Australia yet.   Is the Gold Coast well done?  Hope to fly somewhere there this morning...

I liked WU6 the most, especially Switzerland. This for two reasons. First and most importantly, it immensely improved the scenery. Before the update, imagery and DEM were a mess. There were loads of baked-in clouds and the imagery was partly taken in winter. The DEM was so awful in some places that it was almost impossible to recognize the mountains. Now it has excellent imagery and DEM and things look as they should. The only issue still remaining is morphing, but that‘s a different story. Overall, I‘d say, Switzerland has undergone the biggest improvement. The second reason is that I often fly there and know it quite well.

The biggest disappointment for me was the Nordics update. I was really looking forward to it but both imagery and DEM still leave a lot to be desired. 

The UK update was quite good, but photogrammetry London was a big let-down in terms of visual quality and frame rates. I really hope they fix this one day (as promised).

France had the same problem as the UK (wasn’t it the same photogrammetry provider?) but introduced nice DEM (and morphing).

Japan I can‘t really assess because I hadn‘t flown there a lot before the update. All in all it looks good now. 

The US was a mixed bag for me as well, mainly because that‘s when morphing first became apparent (I guess you see by now what one of my main pet peeves is).

I‘ve only done two longer flights in post-update Australia and so far I really like it. Possible that this update, as a whole, will turn out to be the best yet, but I‘ll have to do some more flights.

Edited by Shack95

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

I'm Scandinavian and in comparison to other World Updates, the Nordic one was severely lacking. We didn't even get a single city in photogrammetry. But I'm not gonna complain too much about it, as Scandinavia have never looked this good in any sim, but I do hope they revisit the Nordic countries sometime. My favourite one has to be Australia, well made airports, several cities in photogrammetry, awesome elevation data etc. Especially happy for the aussies 🙂 And overall it has been one of the less problematic updates.

• Like 1

Aus (WU7) is the best.  This is what a world update should be.  I was so disappointed with France when I saw the French Riviera wasn't done.  Japan was the same way when I saw cities like Osaka and Kyoto (how could you leave this out and say it's a Japan world update) weren't done.  WU7 got it all right, every major city.  Maybe we can thank Orbx for that.  They did Australia justice even Taz.  I hope this is the new standard moving forward.  Go big or go home.  Now go back and finish France and Japan, let WU7 be the new marker for World Updates.🍺

Edited by Dillon
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I was the 1st to vote AU, but not because it's the best looking region, but my favorite update. In other words, it was smooth with no problems after the update.

• Like 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

2 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

I have installed WU7 but have not flown anywhere in Australia yet.   Is the Gold Coast well done?  Hope to fly somewhere there this morning...

Well !! - if you do - if you are not familiar with the GC - MSFS 7U& Australia -you will probably like it - but you didn't need the update 

The Bing Scenery is 8 years old and not representative of the latest Gold Coast☹️

2 hours ago, Dillon said:

I was so disappointed with France when I saw the French Riviera wasn't done.

I am sorry to ask but what is not done ? I live less than 10 miles from Cannes and the Côte d'Azur scenery is the best I have ever seen so far in a sim. Like, flying over the city I can see  well the boulevard Carnot that I drive down to the railway station where I park my car and  I can see my house in the hills (hey look honey, this is our house !) . Of course it could be better but to say it wasn't done is a bit excessive. What I miss are some landmarks including the church steeples but this is everywhere. 

More generally I admire you, all you guys, putting Australia on top two days after release. How many flights have you made in Oz ? I did three and could only say there were definitely better that the pre-WU. Thats it.

Edited by Dominique_K

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

23 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

More generally I admire you, all you guys, putting Australia on top two days after release.

That's probably because it's new and a lot of people never flew there before and are surprised by what they see. Probably has less to do with the WU than with the country itself.

Switzerland for me because I like the country (been there several times) and the imagery and mesh is really great.
Also the amount of landclass patches to cover clouds is not too high.

Edited by bvdboomen

1 hour ago, Dominique_K said:

I am sorry to ask but what is not done ? I live less than 10 miles from Cannes and the Côte d'Azur scenery is the best I have ever seen so far in a sim. Like, flying over the city I can see  well the boulevard Carnot that I drive down to the railway station where I park my car and  I can see my house in the hills (hey look honey, this is our house !) . Of course it could be better but to say it wasn't done is a bit excessive. What I miss are some landmarks including the church steeples but this is everywhere. 

More generally I admire you, all you guys, putting Australia on top two days after release. How many flights have you made in Oz ? I did three and could only say there were definitely better that the pre-WU. Thats it.

To answer this.  Outside of Nice Airport being done you can't tell me up and down the French coast has the detail of Paris.  The buildings are default and it takes away from the feel of the area.  Of all the areas in France the Riviera is one of the most important areas to fully address outside of Paris.  I tried the freeware (Google) options for the area and it just brought the framerate down to it's knees.  Forget about it in VR.

Concerning AUZ I've been flying in that area in FS sims since FS9.  Orbx cut their teeth with AUS in the FS9 days and I had their complete scenery for the country when they released it (a package that contained seasonal changes).  Don't assume or dismiss people for their praise of anything in FS especially when you can see they've been around for awhile (looking at their profile).  I visited Perth in real life back in 1994 while in the Navy so I'm familiar within reason with the area.  All that being said I can tell when a job is well done based on how many years I've been acquainted virtually with the area.  The same goes for New Zealand.  

So for me it's plan and simple when I see every major city done in detail and overall default areas have been spruced up.  That can't be said about Japan when most of the country is still default.  I said it above and I'll say it again how can you omit Osaka.  You can't call France a world update and leave the French Riviera default outside of Nice Intl.  That's the difference in what has just been done with Australia.  When they did Perth and even got down to Taz I was impressed.

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

37 minutes ago, Dillon said:

To answer this. 

Côte d'Azur You know better than me who live here, drive here, shop here, etc 🤣   ? 'nuf said.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

6 hours ago, tup61 said:

I liked the Nordics update most, not because it was so great on its own but because it was so bad before the update. Strange holes and spikes all over the place in Norway.

The strange holes and spikes seems to have moved to Sweden after the update.

Edited by Ixoye
  • Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |