Sign in to follow this  
Wing Nut

Let me get this straight...

11 hours ago, Wing Nut said:

Returning to Flight Sim

On the other hand with all the config and PC faffing we've done in the past with other sims, we should have plenty of practice with Rube Goldberg processes... 🙃Welcome back WingNut and reach out if you need a hand...

12 hours ago, kiwikat said:

Get MSFS on Steam.

Yep. Make life easier on yourself.

The MS store installation and update process is...character building 😎

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DD_Arthur said:

One advantage for the OP, over buying from the MS store over Steam is that if he/she is intending on also using an Xbox is that she can both use a PC and an Xbox with the same License. Saying that if I was starting from scratch I'd be buying MSFS from Steam. 

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

20 hours ago, eaim1973 said:

One advantage for the OP, over buying from the MS store over Steam is that if he/she is intending on also using an Xbox is that she can both use a PC and an Xbox with the same License.

Without meaning any insult at all -- as Ray said, it can be tough for folks used to buying physical discs -- if the OP is having this much difficulty getting their head around a common digital distribution model I have my doubts about them being in any of the target market segments for an Xbox.  🙂

That said, you are 100% correct, and this is something I wish people would be more up front about when discussing purchase options.  Telling people "just get it on Steam" without discussing the alternatives does them a disservice if they might be able to benefit from cross-licensing on the Xbox. 

Edited by DeepestRed
  • Like 1

The people's flag is deepest red.

21 hours ago, eaim1973 said:
22 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

One advantage for the OP, over buying from the MS store over Steam is that if he/she is intending on also using an Xbox is that she can both use a PC and an Xbox with the same License.

That, and another often overlooked advantage, is that 3rd party devs get a higher payout, if the same addon is bought from a store version of MSFS rather than a steam version. If you want maximive the profits of Valve, go for steam, if you want to maximize what the actual devs of your purchased addons is getting, go for store. As a dev myself I can say, that luckily steam users account only for a small percentage of all the MSFS users.

Edited by mrueedi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mrueedi said:

That, and another often overlooked advantage, is that 3rd party devs get a higher payout, if the same addon is bought from a store version of MSFS rather than a steam version. If you want maximive the profits of Valve, go for steam, if you want to maximize what the actual devs of your purchased addons is getting, go for store. As a dev myself I can say, that luckily steam users account only for a small percentage of all the MSFS users.

Average cut for Valve (Steam) when you buy from them; 30%.

Average cut for Microsoft (the store) when you buy from them; 30%.

If you want to maximise what individual dev's get for their add ons; buy 'em direct.   

3 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

If you want to maximise what individual dev's get for their add ons; buy 'em direct.   

That's true.

3 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

Average cut for Valve (Steam) when you buy from them; 30%.

Average cut for Microsoft (the store) when you buy from them; 30%.

That's wrong. MS is cutting off from the steam sales too. The addons are from the MSFS marketplace after all.

6 minutes ago, mrueedi said:

That's wrong. MS is cutting off from the steam sales too. The addons are from the MSFS marketplace after all.

Yes, you’re right. I can only think  a sale through the store to a Steam installation must make devs grit their teeth and think of the turnover 😲

On 2/13/2022 at 4:31 AM, edpatino said:

Or enter in a beta....

Self-inflicted injury. 

8 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

I can only think  a sale through the store to a Steam installation must make devs grit their teeth and think of the turnover 😲

PMDG said: 

When an MSFS user purchases a product from Marketplace, Microsoft and sometimes Valve gets paid. For MSFS users who purchased MSFS via MS-Store, Microsoft will take a 30% share. For MSFS users who purchased MSFS via Steam, Valve will take 35% and then MS will take 30% of what remains (effective rate of 54% give-or-take.)

And...

I am less enthusiastic about the value equation of Valve's contribution, but there is an old saying about "you cannot fight City Hall."

Quote from here: Why we should purchase from the MSFS marketplace - Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - The AVSIM Community

B.t.w. that thread title was wrong and should have be "Why we should buy MSFS from MS store".

As I said, luckily for the devs, steam users account for a tiny percentage (hardly double digit) of the overall user base.

Hello 'Wingnut',

I'm sure many of those trying to assist your query have far more experience than myself;  however, for what it is worth, I bought recently from MS Store having moved on from my old reliable FS9 (FS2004) after many years. (tried lots in between but always went back to FS9).

I too read lots of Forum posts (here and elsewhere - many were very scary regarding MSFS errors and problems.) Certainly one Poster was much more realistic and encouraging and luckily I took his advice.  Perhaps I've just been lucky but frankly I've had none of the problems experienced by many and I am a Computer Numpty.

I found the purchase fron MS Store relatively straightforward (for a Numpty) and updates have also gone as I would expect with my limited Computer knowledge.  Yes, there's a lot to learn but frankly it is not rocket science and if I can work my way through it,  I think most could also.

The Software is really super in so many ways and Yes, I know there are many detractors BUT - this is my experience. It really has been an excellent experience and well worth the effort - I love it!  

(BTW  I've been Flight Simming since the Sub-logic days - circa 1984  and flying real world since I was 18, many decades ago 😉 and long since retired! )

Good Luck!

Regards,

Blue

• Like 3

If you decide to buy from the MS Store, remember to install the XBox app as well. 

There is a relationship between the 2 apps. I once had difficulty installing an update from the store. Someone having the same problem at the time made a comment about being able to get the update to work by logging into the XBox app. That worked for me. Ever since then, when an update launches, I start up the XBox app before launching MSFS. No install problems since (aside from me not paying attention, but that's another story for another day). 

Good luck. Welcome back!

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

GONE BOATING - It's like fishing, but with a clean deck.

Is it not possible to purchase direct from a developer and install their software into MSFS? If not it seems like a closed shop.

UK2000 is showing airports compatible with MSFS. Surely all the major scenery developers will do the same.

Won’t that be the cheapest option for the customer plus the developer gets all the income bar a small % for his overheads. Less user-friendly as more manual work required I guess.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Is it not possible to purchase direct from a developer and install their software into MSFS? If not it seems like a closed shop.

UK2000 is showing airports compatible with MSFS. Surely all the major scenery developers will do the same.

Won’t that be the cheapest option for the customer plus the developer gets all the income bar a small % for his overheads. Less user-friendly as more manual work required I guess.

Developers can choose to sell exclusively on the Marketplace (eg Carenado) and content for the XBox version is ONLY purchasable on the Marketplace but beyond that content can be bought from anywhere the Dev wants to sell it

• Upvote 1