Sign in to follow this  
Wing Nut

Let me get this straight...

Returning to Flight Sim and I purchased online for a digital download.  According to this, not only do I have to pay for the game but I have to sign up for Xbox Game Pass for $9.99 per month?  Also, if someone could help me find the download code I am supposed to use, that would be great.  Thanks for the help!

Get MSFS on Steam.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

You don't need game pass if you've purchased a copy of Flight Simulator.

Game pass is a subscription that includes a free copy of MSFS (in addition to many other titles) for as long as your subscription is active. Alternatively, you can outright purchase a copy of MSFS (which it sounds like you have already done) - in which case you do not need the game pass subscription to play it.

Where to find the download code depends on where you purchased it (e.g. GameStop, Amazon, etc...). It's often either emailed to you - or visible when you log in to whatever store you purchased it from and view the order.

If you haven't yet purchased it - the easiest places to purchase it are on Steam or the Microsoft Store - both of which allow you to just immediately download the game after your purchase.

Hope this helps!

• Like 8

If we knew where you bought it then we might be able to help. As stated above you don't pay any monthly fees no matter where it was purchased. Unless you also want to subscribe to gamepass for other games besides MSFS

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

5 hours ago, Wing Nut said:

Thanks guys, they're not making this easy...

It's not difficult. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Wing Nut said:

Trust us, it can get even more difficult; just wait until you want to install the first MSFS update... 😉 

• Like 3

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Sorry to hear you're finding it difficult. Did you buy it through the Microsoft Store? It's actually quite simple unless you have a messed up Windows or Store App on your PC which a lot of people seem to have. It's also advisable to ditch 3rd party antivirus software as it can interfere with installing programs. 

1 hour ago, DAD said:

Trust us, it can get even more difficult; just wait until you want to install the first MSFS update... 😉 

Or enter in a beta....

• Like 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

7 hours ago, kiwikat said:

Get MSFS on Steam.

That's possibly the best advise you can have.

• Like 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

6 hours ago, Wing Nut said:

How are they not making it easy? It's straight forward. Options are;

1. Buy MSFS outright on steam, no additional cost if you just want a bare bones flight sim.

2. Buy MSFS outright on the MS store, again no additional cost going forward, as option 1.

3. Buy MSFS on DVD from Aerosoft outright, as option 1 and 2.

4. Rent MSFS for a monthly fee at Xbox game pass but get access to a whole lot of other games at the same time.

No other sim has these flexible options.

You even have the option of trying the sim out for £1 in a trial period of one month if you've never had an Xbox Live subscription before, so it will not cost much to see if the sim is for you, and play other games for a month, all for £1.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

1 hour ago, DAD said:

Or... get it on Steam.  😉

• Like 1

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

2 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

It's not difficult. 

It depends on how familiar you are buying software like this. Or even using a Windows computer. “Returning to flight sim” could mean a steep learning curve. 

It’s completely different to buying a CD version of FSX or even a download of P3D. For many it will be the first time they’ve bought a licence this way.

And not forgetting that there are multiple versions on more than one platform. It’s probably the most complex purchasing decision a flight simmer has had to make.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

It depends on how familiar you are buying software like this. Or even using a Windows computer. “Returning to flight sim” could mean a steep learning curve. 

It’s completely different to buying a CD version of FSX or even a download of P3D. For many it will be the first time they’ve bought a licence this way.

And not forgetting that there are multiple versions on more than one platform. It’s probably the most complex purchasing decision a flight simmer has had to make.

...words of wisdom & truth

• Like 1