Sign in to follow this  
rutrA

FBW A320NX - EXP version has VNAV!

Nice job by FBW! They still gotta work out the kinks, but this is a great start!

• Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

1 hour ago, Maxis said:

Haha .. If this is true i love how the Media team put out the Main Showcase (sounds) and just silently slipped this under the table ..  Love this outfit ... !

I think they didn't want to do an announcements for the first few days in case there are critical bugs that need to be fixed. So we are the first patch to test 😄 (actually I was testing it since sometime but I had to compile the code locally). 

Edited by omarsmak30
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

9 minutes ago, guenseli said:

waiting for complaints that A320 does not Boeing style automatic T/D initiating in 3... 2... 1... 🙈

haha.. my dad keeps complaining that A320 doesn't descend automatically like he used to recall back in the FSX days.. I keep telling him, "if you have a problem with that, pls take it up with Airbus corp in Toulouse.. its not FBW modeling fault."... people expect airbus to behave just like boeing and they're surprised when it doesn't.. 😄

• Like 2

Vinod Kumar

i9 10900K 5.3 Ghz, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM, Win 10 Pro.

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

How Airbus Vnav works compared to Boeing isn't exactly rocket science. Its a commanded Vnav, That said FBW still has a long way to go.

• LNAV does not use VNAV speed predictions yet. This means that an approach path will not be forecasted properly. Furthermore, the T/D (Top of Descent) could be misplaced, since the system expects more track miles.
  • The descent guidance does not use the speed margins properly yet. The aircraft does not speed up to catch a profile below it.
  • The linear deviation indication (green "yoyo") on the PFD might jump around during the descent. This effect is particularly noticable when new waypoints are sequenced.
  • Layout inaccuracies in the MCDU, mostly on the PERF page.
  • Predicted speed changes in the descent might seem to show up erratically. The same for the level off arrow while in descent mode.
  • Fuel predictions in the MCDU are not very accurate.
  • Descent guidance is sensitive to QNH changes. This is partially due to an inaccuracy in MSFS' atmospheric model.
  • Winds are not yet taken into account for all phases of flight.
  • Like 1

EGGD to LFPO. There's a little bit more work to do but not bad. In view of this and the graphics, the sounds and cabin announcements and the systems I'm now done with the Toliss and X-Plane.

Edited by jarmstro
  • Like 7

12 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

How Airbus Vnav works compared to Boeing isn't exactly rocket science. Its a commanded Vnav, That said FBW still has a long way to go.

• LNAV does not use VNAV speed predictions yet. This means that an approach path will not be forecasted properly. Furthermore, the T/D (Top of Descent) could be misplaced, since the system expects more track miles.
  • The descent guidance does not use the speed margins properly yet. The aircraft does not speed up to catch a profile below it.
  • The linear deviation indication (green "yoyo") on the PFD might jump around during the descent. This effect is particularly noticable when new waypoints are sequenced.
  • Layout inaccuracies in the MCDU, mostly on the PERF page.
  • Predicted speed changes in the descent might seem to show up erratically. The same for the level off arrow while in descent mode.
  • Fuel predictions in the MCDU are not very accurate.
  • Descent guidance is sensitive to QNH changes. This is partially due to an inaccuracy in MSFS' atmospheric model.
  • Winds are not yet taken into account for all phases of flight.

I wouldn't call that "a long way". The first doesn't really matter because you are supposed to be more or less at the bottom of the descent once you turn into the approach. The second is a bit more problematic, but not sure how much (Which speed margins? Restrictions? Or the VNAV +/- 10kts area? No 3-5 seem rather cosmetical. 6 is an ongoing problem, but not really that serious without failures like leaks etc. No 7 well that's the case in the PMDG aircraft on P3D, too. No 8 depends on which phases of flight.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Thanks FBW for the great work and for continued progress! Much appreciated!

• Like 3

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

28 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

EGGD to LFPO. There's a little bit more work to do but not bad. In view of this and the graphics, the sounds and cabin announcements and the systems I'm now done with the Toliss and X-Plane.

Care to elaborate? What do you mean by "not bad"? Did it calculate a reasonable TOD and glide path according to the set descent speed? Did it observe speed and altitude restrictions?

Awesome! How long do we expect until it hits the dev version? I need it for FS2crew haha.

Congrats to the team.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

16 minutes ago, WestAir said:

Awesome! How long do we expect until it hits the dev version? I need it for FS2crew haha.

Congrats to the team.

We're looking at anywhere between a few weeks to a month, even longer. It solely depends on the amount of testing and feedback we receive from the early adopters. But here we are, from the loads of questions about when VNAV a year ago, to actually pushing the code to the experimental builds. As I always say, it's just a matter of time for us, at FBW :)

• Like 22

Developer - FlyByWire Simulations

Congats to the FBW team! Can't wait to test this out tonight! 

Former Child, Current Adult

2 hours ago, sidnov said:

We're looking at anywhere between a few weeks to a month, even longer. It solely depends on the amount of testing and feedback we receive from the early adopters. But here we are, from the loads of questions about when VNAV a year ago, to actually pushing the code to the experimental builds. As I always say, it's just a matter of time for us, at FBW :)

I was on the side sipping tea waiting for the Big Ole "when its ready" handbag to be thrown but this response well and truly took me by surprise. Almost as if you reached inside and took out candy and handed it out instead LOL.

Pleasantly surprised 

Edited by Maxis
  • Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

4 minutes ago, Maxis said:

I was on the side sipping tea waiting for the Big Ole "when its ready" handbag to be thrown but this response well a truly took me by surprise. Almost as if you reached inside and took out candy and handed it out instead LOL.

Pleasantly surprised 

It's just a brief estimation honestly. We have had the base LNAV code sit in experimental stage for a bit over 2-3 months, with a couple of small and big iterations to it before it came to dev. We'd expect the VNAV to take a similar amount of time to be refined and linked with different parts of the FMS, but what's exciting for now is, we've set the ball rolling, and we're looking at some amazing progress over the next few weeks based on these initial tests in experimental

• Like 8

Developer - FlyByWire Simulations

4 hours ago, guenseli said:

waiting for complaints that A320 does not Boeing style automatic T/D initiating in 3... 2... 1... 🙈

As in have to press altitude on the mcp? 

Victor Roos