Sign in to follow this  
CarlosF

Panning stutters

3 hours ago, CarlosF said:

I've been one of the few lucky ones who hasn't had mayor issues updating, in general my experience with updates has been quite satisfactory. With SU9 however, for some unknown reason panning has been an issue with micro stutters, only panning, otherwise the sim is solid and smooth, keeping 40fps in 99% of the time no matter how long I fly.

Anybody with the same issue?

I read somewhere that Asobo is working on quick fixes on some of the issues brought in with SU9, hopefully panning stutters will be addressed too.

What a coincidence! I spent several hours during the last Sunday (5 or 6?) trying to fix exactly the same issue.

I had no stutters after the last few SUs prior to SU9. Also I didn't change any of my settings when applying SU9.

Now the flying is still smooth but when panning in external view I get occasional (micro-)stutters. It is the most obvious when I pause the game in the external view and then just keep panning using the hat switch 360 degrees around again and again. The panning is smooth (capped to 60 fps in NCP + vsync on in game + real Gsync monitor with hw module - 1440p, mostly high/some ultra, TLOD=200), but always during the 360 degrees pan there are one or two hiccups. The DevMode fps counter shows, surprisingly enough, during the hiccup solid green for Main thread, solid green for GPU, but the top summary bar displays several yellow or even red vertical lines during the stutters.

Further it is remarkable that it seems to me the stutters happen always at the given location always in the given direction (azimuth or bearing) when circling around the plane. The severity of stutters and the direction from which they come change when moving to a different location, but when panning they are always there.

As I said, I tried everything during the last days to pinpoint the source of the panning stutter:

• tried all possible settings in NCP (incl. vsync on or fast + off in MSFS),
  • tried all possible settings in MSFS (e.g. to  switch off PG or live traffic or to change traffic density)
  • tried different locations in the sim (dense cities or remote plains) and different weather (e.g. clear weather with no clouds).

Nothing helped. The micro-stutter while panning is still there. My conclusion therefore is that the stutters are caused by some coding errors introduced in SU9. Similarly to what we had at the beginning of MSFS until some of the SUs suddenly massively improved fps and removed stutters for the majority of users.

I hope together with CarlosF that the issue has been recognized and will be fixed sooner (hot fix) or later (SU).

David

i7-10700K (stock) / RTX 3070 (OC) / 32 GB DDR4 3200  / G-Sync 1440p

Edited by David_CSA
  • Upvote 1

Intel i7-10700K OC 5.0 GHz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB OC 2145 MHz | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming | AiO cooler Corsair H115i Pro XT 2x140 mm | Corsair RM850x 850W Gold | Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow | Monitor 32" LG UltraGear 32GK850G G-Sync 1440p

42 minutes ago, NismoRR said:

I also think that panning isn’t as smooth as it was prior to SU9.  Not horrible, but definitely not as buttery smooth as it was in most situations before. At least that’s my recollection. 

Haha, that's exactly what I tried to express with my previous long post. I totally agree.

Intel i7-10700K OC 5.0 GHz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB OC 2145 MHz | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming | AiO cooler Corsair H115i Pro XT 2x140 mm | Corsair RM850x 850W Gold | Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow | Monitor 32" LG UltraGear 32GK850G G-Sync 1440p

Don't  know about the rest of you, but I was experiencing stuttering when panning with TrackiR, with scenery loading in the distance. Went into settings and noticed Offscreen Terrain Precaching had been reset to Medium...changed it to Ultra and all the panning issues were eliminated. I assume this setting was changed by SU9, along with all my Assistance settings, because I certainly never changed them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

36 minutes ago, David_CSA said:

caused by some coding errors introduced in SU9

I have come to that conclusion too David. Hopefully it gets sorted out in the near future.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

30 minutes ago, somiller said:

Offscreen Terrain Precaching

That is the first setting I checked when started to experience panning stutters and it is in Ultra.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

1 hour ago, somiller said:

Offscreen Terrain Precaching had been reset to Medium...

Now this is interesting, thank you very much for the tip!

My setting was prior to SU9 and after SU9 equal to Ultra (unchanged).

BUT:

Out of curiosity I just tried various values of "Off Screen Terrain Precaching". And my panning stutters were almost totally eliminated when going from Ultra to Medium (!)

How is that possible, you ask?

I observed the following on the fps counter:

When using Ultra, the fps is constantly pegged at 60 fps during panning but sooner or later it drops to to a massive sudden dip showing as a  visible stutter. Then it jumps immediately  back to 60 fps.

When using Medium, the fps drops during panning to 59 or 58 fps right at the beginning and stays there during the whole time of panning. But there is not a sudden drop. Hence the panning feels and actually is smooth.

This also means that the optimum level of pre-cache will be different for every system depending on its CPU/GPU/MSFS settings balance.

Oh well, this testing and tuning will never stop.... :)

Edited by David_CSA
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, David_CSA said:

Oh well, this testing and tuning will never stop

Try deleting the DirectX Shader Cache by using the Disk Cleanup util., I did last night (someone somewhere suggested it) and it appears the stutters are gone, still more testing needed, I hope I didn't speak too soon.

• Like 1

hmm , i am having these stutters and FPS drop while panning on ground . Almost like the old days and maybe my PC cant handle the NG3/MD82 at 25fps but as soon as i leave the ground no more stutters or FPS loss.

Michael Moe 

• Upvote 1

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Simple fix...Lower your LOD until your stutters are gone.

Keep in mind that this will vary based your your specs. Mine is set to 150 and I get no stutters. This is the best we can do until Asobo decides to look into this a bit more.

YouTube | Facebook | Discord

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | i9-9900K O/C 5.0 GHz | ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR 4 - 3200MHz | Asus Rog Strix Z390-E Gaming | Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe | Kaken X62 Cpu Cooler | NZXT H510 Elite Case

3 minutes ago, iFlySimX said:

Simple fix...Lower your LOD until your stutters are gone.

Keep in mind that this will vary based your your specs. Mine is set to 150 and I get no stutters. This is the best we can do until Asobo decides to look into this a bit more.

Thanks , i went from 200 to 150 but still problems. Will try 100

Thanks again

Michael Moe

Edited by Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

22 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

Thanks , i went from 200 to 150 but still problems. Will try 100

Thanks again

Michael Moe

Keep trying, go to 50 and see how smooth it is 🙂

• Like 1

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | i9-9900K O/C 5.0 GHz | ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR 4 - 3200MHz | Asus Rog Strix Z390-E Gaming | Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe | Kaken X62 Cpu Cooler | NZXT H510 Elite Case

I had to settle with 100. Shouldn’t have to considering my system specs…

• Like 1

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

I've gone from 200 to 100 in a few updates..  Seems to affect me on the ground in big cities, which I guess is fairly obvious, but it seems to be getting worse.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Oh and one more simple fix....Disable Photogrammetry in the settings. PG causes HUGE stutters, especially in big cities. 

PG = Off

LOD = 150 (Depends on what your system can handle, start low and adjust.)

Edited by iFlySimX

8 hours ago, iFlySimX said:

Oh and one more simple fix....Disable Photogrammetry in the settings. PG causes HUGE stutters, especially in big cities. 

PG = Off

LOD = 150 (Depends on what your system can handle, start low and 

Thanks but isnt the penalty rather huge in terms of quality? I meen will i be back of P3D5.3 with MCE and ORBX TrueEarth?

Will give it a try

Michael Moe

• Upvote 1

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png