Sign in to follow this  
blueshark747

ORBX Hollywood Burbank V2 Update Heads Up

8 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

You can. You must first unistall v1.  Then go back to the page and it will say install and free.

I did that Ryan… but it seems a rather clunky way to use Orbx Central… a simple update notification would have been more elegant, nicht?

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

9 minutes ago, Donka said:

I thought this was a paid upgrade. Did they change it to free for existing users?

Yes they did. Bad press 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Thanks Dave.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

28 minutes ago, Donka said:

I thought this was a paid upgrade. Did they change it to free for existing users?

Aaaah… THAT explains the silly dual product versions… ah well.

At times like this, remembering their stellar prior record, and folks like Nick who did such a great job, I can be nothing but slightly saddened. All things change…

• Like 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

They have actually charged for v2 in the past. They were about to do the same, until they decided to give it away for free to existing customers who purchased v1. That's actually a good move on their part.

I can't believe the amount of complaints and hate being spewed toward ORBX. They were the best thing that happened to FSX & P3D. How quickly customers forget.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

47 minutes ago, DJJose said:

They have actually charged for v2 in the past. They were about to do the same, until they decided to give it away for free to existing customers who purchased v1. That's actually a good move on their part.

I can't believe the amount of complaints and hate being spewed toward ORBX. They were the best thing that happened to FSX & P3D. How quickly customers forget.

Dj - did you not see my photos above?  Literally nothing changed in v2.  The texture quality is awful.  Yeah they were pioneers in FSX, but this is MSFS - things just look out of place if the textures are poor.  Not only that the scenery is unusable due to fps issue.  I owned a ton of their products in p3d/FSX.  If they continue releasing products of this quality - I won't be buying anymore.

• Like 7

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

When this airport came out it was INOP as FPS where single figures. It took 2 months for it to be "fixed", no where in msfs have I seen textures as bad as this airport, and v2 seems a repeat of v1. 

Shamefull.

• Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 hour ago, DJJose said:

No hate Jose.. at least on my part. Just incredulity at the clunky update process. I too owned most everything they produced for FSX/P3D, but that is changing.

Hope you’re well- C

• Like 2

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

24 minutes ago, cavaricooper said:

No hate Jose.. at least on my part. Just incredulity at the clunky update process. I too owned most everything they produced for FSX/P3D, but that is changing.

Hope you’re well- C

Understandable.

27 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

When this airport came out it was INOP as FPS where single figures. It took 2 months for it to be "fixed", no where in msfs have I seen textures as bad as this airport, and v2 seems a repeat of v1. 

Shamefull.

42 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

Dj - did you not see my photos above?  Literally nothing changed in v2.  The texture quality is awful.  Yeah they were pioneers in FSX, but this is MSFS - things just look out of place if the textures are poor.  Not only that the scenery is unusable due to fps issue.  I owned a ton of their products in p3d/FSX.  If they continue releasing products of this quality - I won't be buying anymore.

All valid points. Maybe my vision is not as good as everyone else's. It looks good to me, especially for a free update.

Most of their sceneries I purchased were at half the price, so I'm not going to complain. This is coming from the guy who stopped posting pics at the FTX forum, was critical when they chose to go the read only support forum, and who buys significantly much less from ORBX than I used to for P3D.

Even though this thread is about KBUR, no one here can convince me that their KCRW doesn't look amazing! Trying to bring down a good developer & seller is not a good idea. Keep in mind that this community is still very small. Let's not make it even smaller.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

6 minutes ago, DJJose said:

Even though this thread is about KBUR, no one here can convince me that their KCRW doesn't look amazing! Trying to bring down a good developer & seller is not a good idea. Keep in mind that this community is still very small. Let's not make it even smaller.

I haven't seen CRW - actually I think I saw it in one of Fabio's streams.  But I don't own it.  Hopefully the quality is well above BUR.  Maybe they made an honest mistake and forgot to include the new textures in v2.

edit: I just looked at CRW and it looks vastly different than BUR v2.  I'm guessing it's not even the same developer?  If it is he must have made new textures vs trying to upscale the P3D textures in BUR v2.

Edited by ryanbatc
  • Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Crw is excellent. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Yes, I have actually been eyeing CRW, as it is in the "right place" for where I fly the most and it would be an interesting and challenging airport for the 737. If this was P3D I would have already bought it but with ORBX now I hesitate and I wait to see. So thank you for the brief reviews, I may pick this up soon.

For me there is no "hate" or any trace of dislike for ORBX. I think we all owe them a debit of gratitude for without doubt they helped keep flight simulation going with their products for P3D -- how many of us would have kept flying without global and regional enhancements. Virtually all my GA airports were from ORBX back then. But something also seemed to change as they moved to operating like a store, sponsoring expos, etc.; something in their culture. I used to enjoy visiting their forums as there was good discussion, lots of great tips and insights. I can remember looking forward to JV's roadmap for the next year. Now their forums feel sterile to me and I have not been there for a very, very long time. There was engagement which has gradually eroded. I feel the overall contribution they make to flight simulation has diminished, as has the overall quality of their catalogue of products for MSFS. These are just my impressions, and maybe I have missed things; but in the end I just really hope they come back and contribute more.

Edited by Cognita

Dan Scott

1 hour ago, Cognita said:

I feel the overall contribution they make to flight simulation has diminished

I share your views regarding ORBX 100%. Just like my friend, @cavaricooper said a few messages above:

"All things change…" but I'd add the following: "and more often than not for the worse". ORBX isn't the only example, but I'll keep it at that for the sake of avoiding the trolls from raiding this post as well. 

• Like 1

Enrique Vaamonde

The messyi mage is V2. The other is V1.

This is with ONLY KBUR in Community folder. I was told to turn off Photogrammetry - that produced a more normal looking building in V2 but not even close to being accurate. I literally live 5 minutes from that location ( approach end of 26) and pass by it every day. V1 is pretty darn close.

As for disabling photoreal  - why should I disable a feature I like just to run one add on?

KBURV1.jpg

KBURV2 (Medium).jpg

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

17 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

The messyi mage is V2. The other is V1.

This is with ONLY KBUR in Community folder. I was told to turn off Photogrammetry - that produced a more normal looking building in V2 but not even close to being accurate. I literally live 5 minutes from that location ( approach end of 26) and pass by it every day. V1 is pretty darn close.

As for disabling photoreal  - why should I disable a feature I like just to run one add on?

KBURV1.jpg

KBURV2 (Medium).jpg

I live right up the road as well, the VSP building looks horrible in photogram

Jay

| PPL ASEL |
| i9-9900k | MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming Trio 24Gb | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E | G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3200Mhz | 32' 4K HDR | Windows 11