Sign in to follow this  
MauBen

Bing maps vs Google maps

If you are interested in a comparison between Bing maps or Google maps in MSFS, I made this video over Glasgow, Scotland. More videos over different areas will follow if there is enough interest. 

https://youtu.be/eyfMN8GPN_A

• Like 3

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, Reverb G2, Simrig Motion platform

Thx for that. I thought the man-made items were about the same.

Imo, i liked the Bing map presentation more (the rightside one) Maybe it was the coloring effect enhancement in the ground textures, like a sharper image.

• Like 1

I think the only changes you'll see to things other than the sat imagery itself, are the colours of trees, the sim colours the trees based on the ground imagery.

Some types of autogen buildings may also grab the ground imagery to use on their roof texture, not sure.

Edited by Tuskin38

This is pointless. Why? Because there is no clear cut answer as to whether Bing or Google is superior. It all depends on where you fly.

It's not because one looks better over Glasgow in your video that it's always the case. I guess this is useful for people flying over Glasgow at least.

Not much in it really, there were moments when I thought Google looked better, but then it changed and Bing looked the better, certainly I would not be bothered to change on what I saw.

Asus Maximus Hero X11, Intel i9 10850k, 32gb Corsair Dominator ram, 2tb Corsair mp510 ssd  m2, Gigybyte turbo RTX 3090

I tend to agree it probably depends on where you fly.  Is it easy to switch back and forth?  Maybe depending on where one flies that day would determine which ground base to use?  Just thinkin'.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

1 hour ago, Johnny Wyatt said:

This is pointless. Why? Because there is no clear cut answer as to whether Bing or Google is superior. It all depends on where you fly.

It's not because one looks better over Glasgow in your video that it's always the case. I guess this is useful for people flying over Glasgow at least.

That's the key to the tool.  The tool makes it easy to switch and experiment.

sp

2 hours ago, Johnny Wyatt said:

Is it really pointless? Most of us are interested in this sim because it is supposed to be “as real as it gets” as quoted from Microsoft. The video shows alternatives to achieve this goal. There is no winner…it depends on your personal preferences and one is not better than the other, just different. And that was the only point of making this video. If it is pointless, you were not forced to watch it, assuming you did 🤔

Edited by MauBen

3 hours ago, MauBen said:

If you are interested in a comparison between Bing maps or Google maps in MSFS, I made this video over Glasgow, Scotland. More videos over different areas will follow if there is enough interest. 

https://youtu.be/eyfMN8GPN_A

The UK is an odd choice to show the difference because Bing maps are pretty good here.  Google are more detailed - you can see that in the first minute of the video.

Try taking off in San Luis Obispo in California and fly around with Bing.  Do the same with Google map mod to see an astonishing difference.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

Is it the new Bing maps or the old ones Asobo use?

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

1 hour ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

The UK is an odd choice to show the difference because Bing maps are pretty good here.  Google are more detailed - you can see that in the first minute of the video.

Try taking off in San Luis Obispo in California and fly around with Bing.  Do the same with Google map mod to see an astonishing difference.

Every area is going to be different and some will look better one way or the other. Here is another example over Bora Bora

Just now, Ixoye said:

Is it the new Bing maps or the old ones Asobo use?

Whatever shows on MSFS now.

Bora Bora video same again to my eyes. I like the Bing map visuals more. (world realistic ? no idea)

Reminds me of an airport approach to cologne, germany ( X-plane i think). Stunning visuals yet not world realistic.

4 hours ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

Both look good to me but it depends on when the images were taken - year / month.

sp

Yes, absolutely. But it’s easy to make a short test flight first to decide what you like best, if you want to bother 😊