Sign in to follow this  
hvw

What is happening with FlyByWire?

35 minutes ago, Makinen11 said:

It is absolutely stable. It just doesn't work very well and usually top of descent is way off. But it definitely is stable.

Are you requesting winds for all phases of flight in the MCDU? I don't usually have problems with TOD being way off. Sure, it's not perfect all the time, but I'd say 85-90% of the time, it's perfectly acceptable. 

I request winds before the flight, and I have noticed it does not change during if I request again. The problem is the descent path starts OK and then suddenly you find yourself 10K feet above where you should be on the STAR. That is regardless of when you add the STAR in, before or after the original ToD point. Anyway, there is so much good stuff in there with the FBW project that even the best payware (Fenix) cannot replicate that I find it unfair to criitcise an unfinished feature like VNAV. I just hope they continue working on it despite the toxic community and give us not just a nice free addon, but possibly the best addon possible for MSFS - exactly because they are not bound by time frames and deliverables. I just hope it comes one day whenever that day may be.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 7:28 AM, holland786 said:

I'm confused as to why the impression is that we can "just release" things like that.

There is work involved, you know. Code to write.

Put your handbag down I wasn't trying to be critical....

Edited by VBHB
  • Like 1

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.

On 7/3/2022 at 7:29 PM, Makinen11 said:

I request winds before the flight, and I have noticed it does not change during if I request again. The problem is the descent path starts OK and then suddenly you find yourself 10K feet above where you should be on the STAR. That is regardless of when you add the STAR in, before or after the original ToD point. Anyway, there is so much good stuff in there with the FBW project that even the best payware (Fenix) cannot replicate that I find it unfair to criitcise an unfinished feature like VNAV. I just hope they continue working on it despite the toxic community and give us not just a nice free addon, but possibly the best addon possible for MSFS - exactly because they are not bound by time frames and deliverables. I just hope it comes one day whenever that day may be.

If ya happy with a wonky VNAV then go at it.  FBW has it's place and it's a good free addon for people that don't want to pay a premium.

• Like 1

A strong tail or head wind will make it difficult to follow the vnav profile in the real aircraft so I have no problems when this happens in the sim - just adds a bit more challenge.  Over on the FSLabs site there are some observations by real A320 pilots on how they handle vnav quirks  - worth a read.  Overall I am very pleased with the FBW A320 experimental version - it is more than a match for the Fenix A320.

Bruce

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

On 7/1/2022 at 5:50 AM, hvw said:

I only visit Discord once in a blue moon. It is not my cup of tea, so to speak. Don't shoot me for that, please 🙂 

I cant stand it either.. I only go there to check on something important. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

6 hours ago, VBHB said:

Put your handbag down I wasn't trying to be critical....

6 hours ago, VBHB said:

If ya happy with a wonky VNAV then go at it.  FBW has it's place and it's a good free addon for people that don't want to pay a premium.

Sigh.

How do we even make you happy? You call it "wonky" but then you want it released right away? That is mutually exclusive. A new version is being worked on to improve the accuracy and stability of the profile, which takes some time to do.

• Like 13
  • Upvote 2

Developer - FlyByWire Simulations

6 hours ago, VBHB said:

What's with the condescending tone? It's a very good free addon, period. 

Vnav is a work in progress, it's developmental and experimental. This is why FbW has a developmental and an experimental channel. 

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, VBHB said:

Really? Wonky? How insulting can you be for a product that is given to us completely free and has features that even the Fenix doesn’t have. This is not how you should speak about a plane that is being developed by a group of passionate developers that don’t ask for a penny. Even in real life, the VNAV can be as you call it: wonky. The FBW is up there with some of the finest addons for flight sim of all time. Maybe next time, use the word “wonky” to describe your decision making when being critical of a superior * FREE* product. 

• Like 12
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, brucewtb said:

A strong tail or head wind will make it difficult to follow the vnav profile in the real aircraft so I have no problems when this happens in the sim - just adds a bit more challenge.  Over on the FSLabs site there are some observations by real A320 pilots on how they handle vnav quirks  - worth a read.  Overall I am very pleased with the FBW A320 experimental version - it is more than a match for the Fenix A320.

Bruce

Another tip for managing vertical guidance in the FBW A320N is to not clear discontinuites in the MCDU. Use DIR to:  https://docs.flybywiresim.com/pilots-corner/advanced-guides/flight-planning/disco/

Edited by gb09f
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, VBHB said:

I actually like the FBW offering over the Fenix bird.  There's elements of the EFB that I like better.  To me both are equal in representing their real world counterparts but for me FBW is the better option as the NEO has more powerful engines. You can tell the difference in climb performance.  I'd hands down pay for what FBW has produced just to keep it going and improving over time.  As Asobo makes never ending changes to the sim I'd hate this team to give up and go away.  A steady stream of money makes sure that doesn't happen.😏

Edited by Dillon
  • Like 3

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

And again AVSIM community at its best. Very entertaining tbh.

• Like 1

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

1 hour ago, ThomseN_inc said:

And again AVSIM community at its best. Very entertaining tbh.

Indeed.

Edited by VBHB

I am flying both ( FBW and Fenix ) and love both, each of it`s own as it is and if not allways everthing goes 100%, ( mostly it`s a userproblem ) you are just a pilot in this Simulator and you have to react ( or should ) like a pilot , means do you think in real life all that works allways 100% ? I am shure not , so the pilots have to react manually thats her job and that`s why we have pilots in an Airplane - IMO !

cheers 😉

• Upvote 1

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

14 hours ago, VBHB said:

As this is quoting me, I have to clarify I have both the Fenix and the FBW and enjoy both for different reasons. I confess I am flying the Fenix more and more as the textures and modelling are so obsessively done down to the smallest piece of dirt that it makes you feel like you're there, and the systems are a bit more complete, but I always find myself coming back to the FBW for what I consider superior sounds in some areas, the physics on the cargo doors which are just jaw dropping and the better fps performance. 

FBW is definitely looking the best payware of all times in the eye, and is still unfinished! I know the Fenix will get more features too but I cannot stop admiring what the FBW has accomplished here already! 

Edited by Makinen11
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1