Sign in to follow this  
MrBitstFlyer

Tobii Eye Tracker

I switched to Tobii on a 34" ultra wide and wouldn't go back. Simple set up and much prefer not needing to wear anything on the head.

Eye tracking does work on this size of screen fine - the restriction with Tobii is that you need to be setting close enough to the screen for it to work properly. I have turned off eye tracking though for MSFS as I found it too distracting when I am glancing off to my tablets at the side for map information or similar. Head tracking works perfectly though for me.

As for fears of IR radiation, it is a regulated piece of equipment and passes all European laws. Also, people rarely consider the same with TrackIR which I believe also has IR emitters for the passive head gear.

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

23 minutes ago, Donka said:

I switched to Tobii on a 34" ultra wide and wouldn't go back. Simple set up and much prefer not needing to wear anything on the head.

Eye tracking does work on this size of screen fine - the restriction with Tobii is that you need to be setting close enough to the screen for it to work properly. I have turned off eye tracking though for MSFS as I found it too distracting when I am glancing off to my tablets at the side for map information or similar. Head tracking works perfectly though for me.

As for fears of IR radiation, it is a regulated piece of equipment and passes all European laws. Also, people rarely consider the same with TrackIR which I believe also has IR emitters for the passive head gear.

I wasn't aware you could turn off the eye tracking, does that switch appear in FS2020?

2 hours ago, ConstVoid said:

🙂 I'm not sure where you're from but In the UK lolly is short for ice lolly, which I believe would translate to popsicle in US English - just about as far from "an animal with a long furry neck and giant feet" as you can get.

And in the northern part of England a lolly isn’t just an ice lolly, it’s a smalL edible sweet attached to a small stick, like a chupa chup lollipop. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CombatCustard said:

I wasn't aware you could turn off the eye tracking, does that switch appear in FS2020?

It's one of the sensitivity settings for Tobii in MSFS. The balance between eye and head tracking. You can turn it to full head tracking only - think it may be the first slider on that page. Not at my flight pc just now to confirm.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

Tobii also works very well now with FaceTrackNoIR, allowing use in other programs that don't offer native Tobii support such as IL-2 Sturmovik and DCS.   The TrackIR application is mimicked so anything that uses TrackIR should work. And an added benefit is that FaceTrackNoIR lets you set up fully customizable curves for all 6 axis, as well as disabling eye tracking ("gaze") for those of us that want just a head tracking solution. 

• Like 1

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

23 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

The issue is that the distance sitting from the tv means it didn’t work. Also, the way it’s mounted was totally inconvenient and not possible if using a yoke, as it sat below the tv and not above like track IR meanings it’s field of sight was blocked. And the eye tracking felt like a gimmick to me. It’s an expensive version of track IR. Of course this is just my opinion . 

Just a quick tip in case you decide to try it again one day, the tobii dont really need to be attached to the screen. You can place it on the table as close as you like to your face. I do it. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Roi Ben

I have just received and installed my tobii eye tracker 5.

The 4 infrared lights are visible, this is unexpected for me. Not really bright, but clearly visible.

The setup Process is easy, and it works in MSFS without hassle.

But there are not many options in MSFS, and it seems like there are no advanced setup software from tobii (like from trackir where

there are curves for each axis which can be edited).

Or i missing something?

For example, the yaw and pitch sensitivity can only be changed together in MSFS.

So there is no option (within MSFS or external software) to further tweak the sensitivity

with deadzones, response curve (like for the joysticks axis in MSFS)?

Edit:

Ok, theres a official plugin from Tobii for "facetracknoir". Looks like facetracknoir can be used for inputing the

tobii Data to MSFS. facetracknoir has extensive setup and curve options.

Edited by Merawen

I've just bought a Tobii 5 and this thread turned up in one of my Google searches, so I thought I'd tack on to the end of it, though it looks as though maybe it was drifting on to the back burner, judging by Merawen not getting any replies to his post.

Anyway, here's my initial thoughts, after an initial couple of hours use.

I'm a seasoned Trackir 5 user, of about 5 years, and prior to that I'd tried the DIY route with a modified Playstation camera and Facetracknoir.   I have to say, back in those days, Trackir was a vast improvment, well worth themuch greater expense, as the software and settings just worked, straight out of the box, unlike my clumsy grappling with the DIY route.

I'd tweaked my Trackir settings to quite a convenient setup for me, but I always found the need to wear the passive clip and a baseball hat, or the pro active clip and headphones to be uncomfortable during long sims sessions.

So when I found out about the Tobii, just the fact of not needing to wear anything was incemtive enough for me to give it a try.

Installation and setup was a breeze as most reviewers have stated, despite my hardware not being within all of the stated limits. I use triple screens, and the main centre monitor is a 50 inch 16:9, but it is within the 33 inch max distance away from me.

I haven't managed to get it working in MsFS yet, but a quick flight in XP11 via the FacetrackNoIR plugin was very promising, even without any tweaking at all.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 3:00 PM, Merawen said:

I have just received and installed my tobii eye tracker 5.

The 4 infrared lights are visible, this is unexpected for me. Not really bright, but clearly visible.

The setup Process is easy, and it works in MSFS without hassle.

But there are not many options in MSFS, and it seems like there are no advanced setup software from tobii (like from trackir where

there are curves for each axis which can be edited).

Or i missing something?

For example, the yaw and pitch sensitivity can only be changed together in MSFS.

So there is no option (within MSFS or external software) to further tweak the sensitivity

with deadzones, response curve (like for the joysticks axis in MSFS)?

Edit:

Ok, theres a official plugin from Tobii for "facetracknoir". Looks like facetracknoir can be used for inputing the

tobii Data to MSFS. facetracknoir has extensive setup and curve options.

can you give me a hint in how i enabled or import and use it ? dwnloaded it and installed but cant find anything

Carsten U

Hi !

You don't need facetracknoir.

Eye tobii 5 is natively supported by MSFS.

When you are in the copkpit hit F12 2 times.

If you want to block the view hit F9.

• Like 1

i9 13900K    HT off 32 Gb DDR5 @ 7.6  Ghz CL36 Asus Apex HERO Z790  W11 64 bits pro sur Kingston FURY Renegade 2 To,  DCS, P3D5 et MSFS sur 2 ème   Kingston FURY Renegade 2 To , RTX 3090 OC (GPU 2Ghz)  Alim Corsair 1500 W  Gold Ecran ACER  28 pouces  4K  G-SYNC
WC  AIO ARTIC liquid freezer II 420 Boitier Gigabyte 3d mars

44 minutes ago, supersym said:

Hi !

You don't need facetracknoir.

Eye tobii 5 is natively supported by MSFS.

When you are in the copkpit hit F12 2 times.

If you want to block the view hit F9.

ahh, great. Will try it. Thank you !

Carsten U

wellcome !

F9 block the view still at the same place, not where you were looking at, a bit pity...

i9 13900K    HT off 32 Gb DDR5 @ 7.6  Ghz CL36 Asus Apex HERO Z790  W11 64 bits pro sur Kingston FURY Renegade 2 To,  DCS, P3D5 et MSFS sur 2 ème   Kingston FURY Renegade 2 To , RTX 3090 OC (GPU 2Ghz)  Alim Corsair 1500 W  Gold Ecran ACER  28 pouces  4K  G-SYNC
WC  AIO ARTIC liquid freezer II 420 Boitier Gigabyte 3d mars

Terribly expensive .... 😕

I'm fine with EDTracker Pro, although discontinued and production stopped, but only in IL-2 and XP11 because it doesn't appear to do it's thing in MFS 😕

BTW: if anyone is using EDTracker with MFS, please let me know how !

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I am experiencing the issue with Tobii shutting down if I alternate between "Windowed" Mode and "Full Screen" Mode. I understand this has been an ongoing issue with MSFS. I am not sure if Tobii have resolved it or if there is a temporary fix in place.

i913900KF (5.8GHz) | Case: Fractal PopAir RGB I MSI Z790-VC | MSI Gaming RTX 4070Ti Super 16GB | Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 | SOLIDIGM P41 Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD | Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB | Thermalright Frozen Notte 240 MM Liquid Cooling | Samsung 41" Monitor 1920 x 1080 60Hz | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Logitech G Pro pedals | Tobii EyeTracker | 850W Thermaltake 80+ GOLD |