Sign in to follow this  
MrBitstFlyer

Tobii Eye Tracker

I've read a few older threads about this, but wondered what the latest thoughts are.

I have been using TrackIR for a couple of years, but I often find it doesn't work at various points during the day due to sunlight.  I live on a narrowboat so sunlight gets in from portholes on the sides as well as from the front and back.  Even if I cover the portholes in front of and behind the PC, the sunlight can often stop the TrackIR working correctly (can't expect my wife to sit in the dark!).  I have read the Tobii Eyetracker does not suffer as much from external light.  Apart from working in brighter conditions, does the eye tracking feature give any extra immersion over the TrackIR in MSFS?

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

I love it.  I had track IR and unless I had all blinds closed, it wouldn't work well for me.  I have had no issues with Tobii. Highly recommend!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Apart from working in brighter conditions, does the eye tracking feature give any extra immersion over the TrackIR in MSFS?

No.

• Like 1

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

I'll probably get it.  Thing I didn't like about track IR is you had to move your head which I rarely did.

sp

• Like 1

AimxyZ, as an alternative?

This is a YT vid on the product.

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

Mine will be here tomorrow. Got $50 off because of Amazon Prime Day. I'll see how it stacks up against Track IR.

• Like 1

NAX669.png

Maybe I've missed it, but all youtube videos I have seen skip forward and backwards head movement, for example to get your head closer to gauges for a better look. It claims 6 degrees of freedom but why is nobody showing this? It is critical to me atleast and my decision to buy hinges on it. 

17 hours ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

Thing I didn't like about track IR is you had to move your head

I can't help wondering what you were expecting :mellow:

Track IR 5 + Track Clip Pro (new supplies expected May/June 2022)

• Like 1

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

18 hours ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

I'll probably get it.  Thing I didn't like about track IR is you had to move your head which I rarely did.

sp

When I fly a plane it real life, I move my head too. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

14 hours ago, mikegrr said:

Does it work with ultra wide screens?

TrackIr does no issues.  

I also like the act of moving your head, especially on the driving sims where it is muscle memory to turn your head to check the mirrors...  Helps the transition from a screen to real world as well as the habit of "scanning" with your eyes and head.  

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I tried it on a large screen, didn't work so sent it back. trackIR was way better. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, mikegrr said:

yes it does, a lot of hate here from the true believers in track IR, people are weird, people in here are more weird

2 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I tried it on a large screen, didn't work so sent it back. trackIR was way better. 

obscure comment lacking in detail is obscure and lacking in detail, what the hell is a "big screen"? Asking for a general acquaintance 

Edited by CombatCustard

4 minutes ago, CombatCustard said:

yes it does, a lot of hate here from the true believers in track IR, people are weird, people in here are more

obscure comment lacking in detail is obscure and lacking in detail, what the hell is a "big screen"? Asking for a general acquaintance 

Wow, the person gets it, posts his opinion of what he thought and you sound like he doesn't have a right to do that......🤥

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

16 hours ago, mikegrr said:

Yes, although reportedly only in 'expensive TrackIR' mode. If you want eye tracking (useless for MSFS) you're limited to screens up to about 30" wide.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg