Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Wizard of Oz

Blurries:vocabulary and Type 3 investigation

I have done some investigation of the reports of the blurries. There is an article here, http://www.fsinsider.com/tips/Pages/default.aspxthat discusses in detail one of the four types of blurries we believe people are seeing. This article serves to present a vocabulary for the blurries ( Type 1 vs Type 2 vs Type 3 vs Type 4 ) so we can all be on the same page, as well as focusing on Type 3 Blurries.Hopefully this will prove valuable, and will let us focus on the Type 1 and Type 2 blurries as real issues needing deeper investigation.

Guest chinga

Great article Phil..explains alot.But GOOD GOD MAN!!!! How long did it take you to produce all those screenshots :-lol Intel E6700 @ 3.8ghz2 gig Corsair Pc2-8500 @ 1066mhzEvga 680i nVidia motherboardEvga 7950GT 512 mb 158.27 Drivers2 74gig WD 10,000 rpm Raptors Raid 0Thermaltake 750watt Toughpower PsuAcer 22" Widescreen LCD

Thanks Phil,I can just imaging taking all those sceenies and trying to remember/match which ones went with which setting LOL !Now on to Type 2 ... ;)Regards'Garett

Phooey!!!I cannot get the Blurries-v3.pdf file to load.Will try again tomorrow. Sure hope something developes here as a solution for Ultimate Terrain.Thanks Phil:RTHEdit: Murphy's law is alive and well. The moment after I made this reply, the pdf file loaded fine.Thanks again:RTH

I will check this out...Hey that looks like Solar's RealAir screenshot hahah!Ok I read it....interesting, but, Most users who report the blurries are moving....that's where the problems really come out.When we post screenshots of the blurries, the shots are taken while moving at X speed. (well most of them are)...I understand there will always be some blurries, but these guys who have uber nice PC's that fly the C172 at 100 kts and the textures aren't sharp within a couple 1000 feet have the right to complain , IMHO.My machine isn't brand new, so I can't complain nearly as much, but there are some major problems with texture loading that still exist.Thanks for the detailed writeup though!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I can't access the site because it's blocked at work (would have looked at lunchtime before you ask!!). I'll have to wait until tonight unless somebody is willing to produce a quick resume.

Wow, very cool to see such an extensive article appear! This really shows how much you and Aces are dedicated to FSX! :) BTW Very good idea to establish some common vocabulary. :(>I understand there will always be some blurries, but these>guys who have uber nice PC's that fly the C172 at 100 kts and>the textures aren't sharp within a couple 1000 feet have the>right to complain , IMHO.Well, I'm one of those guys but I won't complain in THIS topic, because the article clearly states it's about Type 3 TODAY, and Phil says "Hopefully this will prove valuable, and will let us focus on the Type 1 and Type 2 blurries as real issues needing deeper investigation. " So what you are talking about isn't adressed in the pdf but surely will be in time to come. I'm glad Phil did his utter best to shed some light on how it all works! Very interesting read!

Naturally, texture get more blurry in the distance, in particular when viewed at an angle (such as from the cockpit view flying straight and level). The built-in MIP-mapping in FS makes this somewhat worse than it is in first person shooters etc, but I think everyone has learnt to accept that. Using the highest LOD setting, enabling Anisotropic Filtering, and using 0.75x or 0.5x zoom can all help to reduce this problem.The problem is that the "inner circle" of high resolution tiles that is supposed to stay centered under the player aircraft doesn't "keep up" with the aircraft. Normally, this just causes the LOD line to move closer to the viewpoint of the player, but in severe cases causes the whole "high detail circle" to fall behind, so that you have a circle of 1m tiles behind you and 5m or 10m tiles ahead of you. Even in less severe cases where the LOD line is just moved a little closer to the viewer, it's still enough to be very obvious and distracting. If you pause the game for a short time, the textures "catch up", but who wants to pause their sim every five minutes to fly over sharp textures? This is what Aces really needs to investigate, and it's also the issue that got worse after SP1.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

>This is>what Aces really needs to investigate, and it's also the issue>that got worse after SP1.As I just posted in my reaction to ryanbatcund, Aces KNOWS this. Phil SAYS so! The problem is CLEAR, so why post it all over again as if Phil ignores it...?

Guest guz99

Nice read. Much appreciated. At first i was very dissapointed with the SP1, but now after some altering of cfg's like buildings=0(doesent look good anyways with sparse autogen buildings) i can fly smooth in my beloved realair sp-260 with some pretty dense forest and some scenery, 2m resolution, and only in some rare cases the rendering falls behind. Now Sp1 finally feels like a real improvemnet.However, s still would like some work to be done with the groundtexture rendering. But for now, snd when Aces show this kind of dedication, i'm happy.specsp4 2.55ghzRadeon 9800pro764Mb Ram

The most "frustuming" for some is a blurred state that does not seem to be described. Thats is, when the entire displayed set of textures becomes blurred to a maximum degree. This includes the aircraft textures as well. In my case this event is triggered by local objects in either a static (startup setting) or while in flight approaching a scene. It may recover, or a restart is needed. There may be a solution if the trigger is identified and allowed to be modified or set on/off. It would be interesting to see what happens if the program was blocked from this total blurred state. In-other-words is this a "safety" device or a bug???This has not been as widely commented on, or it has been lumped into blurred states during flight or view changes.Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

>Naturally, texture get more blurry in the distance, in>particular when viewed at an angle (such as from the cockpit>view flying straight and level). The built-in MIP-mapping in>FS makes this somewhat worse than it is in first person>shooters etc, but I think everyone has learnt to accept that.>Using the highest LOD setting, enabling Anisotropic Filtering,>and using 0.75x or 0.5x zoom can all help to reduce this>problem.>>The problem is that the "inner circle" of high resolution>tiles that is supposed to stay centered under the player>aircraft doesn't "keep up" with the aircraft. Normally, this>just causes the LOD line to move closer to the viewpoint of>the player, but in severe cases causes the whole "high detail>circle" to fall behind, so that you have a circle of 1m tiles>behind you and 5m or 10m tiles ahead of you. >>Even in less severe cases where the LOD line is just moved a>little closer to the viewer, it's still enough to be very>obvious and distracting. If you pause the game for a short>time, the textures "catch up", but who wants to pause their>sim every five minutes to fly over sharp textures? This is>what Aces really needs to investigate, and it's also the issue>that got worse after SP1.Many thanks for that.

Correct, this article deals with Type 3 blurries. Read the last paragraph of the pdf again; You can tweak this type (3) of blurry or you can ignore it, but that's they way things are in the D3D world. What is more interesting to me however, is the indication that Aces is looking at the type 1 and 2 blurries with some sincerety.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Oh, I must have missed that part....Then this article isn't for the people who have real blurries...Just the people that think they have them while suspended in air.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest tmilton

The formation of the categories and the detailed explanation will go a great way in helping us to understand what goes on behind the scenes, as well as facilitate communication in both directions on this hot subject. We appreciate the effort Phil.