Sign in to follow this  
737_800

Getting CTD recently more often

9 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Just had the 'could not read memory' error.  First CTD in a long time.  I just got a little windows pop-up.  When I clicked OK the sim just vanished.  :sad:

Well probably time to shell out on a new CPU then as this is most likely the cause of the issue. I mean, it couldn't be software related, like MSFS code as that would be highly unlikely. Right @fogboundturtle? /s

Sorry. 

11 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

In my experience though, MSFS is a pretty stable platform.

Well, gee the statistical power of this must be something like 0.000000000001. We can all relax then. /s

11 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

But you guys are making very broad general statement that MSFS is unstable and it's just not true.

As for myself I'm not saying that the sim code is at fault here. But we don't know that it's not either. You're not making broad statements then? The only thing you know is your own experience which is that it's stable for you. I think you have gotten yourself stuck in a wasps nest here, which was sort of bound to happen when you popped into a thread full of frustrated users only to say "hey - I'm not getting these errors". 

Man, it's getting hot in here. Need to turn on the A/C... 😅

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 2

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

dYn55y0_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&f

1 minute ago, bobcat999 said:

Just had the 'could not read memory' error.  First CTD in a long time.  I just got a little windows pop-up.  When I clicked OK the sim just vanished.  :sad:   Like a lot of people, I only started getting these recently.

Prepare to change your computer. Apparently it solves the issues. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Well probably time to shell out on a new CPU then as this is most likely the cause of the issue. I mean, it couldn't be software related, like MSFS code as that would be highly unlikely. Right @fogboundturtle? /s

Sorry. 

Yes, although there are lots of people getting this error, I probably need a new CPU.  It is 8 months old after all.  :smile:

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Just now, bobcat999 said:

Yes, although there are lots of people getting this error, I probably need a new CPU.  It is 8 months old after all.  :smile:

Mine is less than two years old. I think it's time for a new one just for MSFS, because on the other games it runs just perfect... a pity. 

• Like 2

Just when I thought I was about done throwing new hardware at flight simulators... 

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

GONE BOATING - It's like fishing, but with a clean deck.

My CPU, RAM, SSD and MB are a bit more than a month old. But hey, I was stupid to be an early adopter of DDR5, I should have known that would cause issues. But then my memory is MemTest86 8 passes stable. Must be my CPU then? Nope, Prime95 8 hr stability test = no errors. Besides no overclock to be found on my system and I've even underclocked my GPU by 165MHz. Well then it could still be my 3090, right? I mean, that is almost a year old. Well, turns out I did a 1 hr Kombustor and a 3 hr Furmark stress test today at 4K with no issues at all. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

i didn't say anyone to upgrade your CPU. I had a defective one. It was replace with the same. 

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

28 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

Not all CTD are created equal. Also I am not stating that there isn't any issue with MSFS. In my experience though, MSFS is a pretty stable platform. Per example. I never got the write memory error on my PC but I do have a 11GB VRAM GPU so I might never see it. It doesn't meant the issue doesn't exist. But you guys are making very broad general statement that MSFS is unstable and it's just not true.

You've made a LOT of totally incorrect correlations in your posts. You can't just claim that CTDs with no error is due to a "thermal event", or "overclocking". Where's your data to make such a correlation? What temperatures were reached? What CPUs? What motherboard? What memory speeds? What PSU? And FYI, having 11GB VRAM means absolutely NOTHING if you are running DX11 and below, its the new DX12 VRAM memory allocation where having more VRAM even comes into the conversation.

What you fail to take into account is that MSFS 2020 is a CLOUD BASED game. Even if no code has been changed on your PC, it is obvious that Asobo / Microsoft makes changes server side which can also be a cause of the mysterious CTDs.  So I would follow Occam's razor in this case. All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one. I highly doubt that CPUs and DIMMs around the globe are now failing magically while running MSFS.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Mike T said:

You've made a LOT of totally incorrect correlations in your posts. You can't just claim that CTDs with no error is due to a "thermal event", or "overclocking". Where's your data to make such a correlation? What temperatures were reached? What CPUs? What motherboard? What memory speeds? What PSU? And FYI, having 11GB VRAM means absolutely NOTHING if you are running DX11 and below, its the new DX12 VRAM memory allocation where having more VRAM even comes into the conversation.

What you fail to take into account is that MSFS 2020 is a CLOUD BASED game. Even if no code has been changed on your PC, it is obvious that Asobo / Microsoft makes changes server side which can also be a cause of the mysterious CTDs.  So I would follow Occam's razor in this case. All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one. I highly doubt that CPUs and DIMMs around the globe are now failing magically while running MSFS.

You are confusing the recent ntdll.dll issue with other type of CTD. Not all CTD are equals. It is so much easier to blame Asobo though. How come I don't have CTD ? Do I have a magic pc with a secret build ?

10 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

You are confusing the recent ntdll.dll issue with other type of CTD. Not all CTD are equals. It is so much easier to blame Asobo though. How come I don't have CTD ? Do I have a magic pc with a secret build ?

I'm not confusing anything. I'm merely pointing out that your posts about CTDs are jumping to conclusions at best.

And FYI I also don't have CTDs, as a matter of fact I have an i7 11700k OC'd at 5.2Ghz and DDR4 4133 memory OC'd, and my RTX 3080 is OC'd 300Mhz above factory OC. Stable as a rock. But judging another by your singular experience is called ANECDOTAL evidence and is therefore meaningless. That's like saying that it's sunny where you live, so it's impossible that my roof is leaking, because the sun doesn't cause roofs to leak.

Edited by Mike T

2 minutes ago, Mike T said:

I'm not confusing anything. I'm merely pointing out that your posts about CTDs are jumping to conclusions at best.

And FYI I also don't have CTDs however, I have an i7 11700k OC'd at 5.2Ghz and DDR4 4133 memory OC'd, and my RTX 3080 is OC'd 300Mhz above factory OC. Stable as a rock. But judging another your single experience is called ANECDOTAL evidence and is therefore meaningless. That's like saying that it's sunny where you live, so it's impossible that my roof is leaking, because the sun doesn't cause roofs to leak.

Sure but corellation doesn't mean causation either.  Not everyone know how to OC properly. I know many undervolt which is fine until you have a load that requires more. 

Edited by fogboundturtle

4 minutes ago, Mike T said:

But judging another your single experience is called ANECDOTAL evidence and is therefore meaningless. That's like saying that it's sunny where you live, so it's impossible that my roof is leaking, because the sun doesn't cause roofs to leak.

This mixed with some level of cognitive dissonance. You seem to want to believe so hard that the sim is stable that your thought process is being skewed in this direction, neglecting other possibilities.  

EDIT: Not directed at Mike T. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 3

Yeah, I too have overclocked and undervolted components but my sim is rock stable. 

However after the last wave of hundreds of complaints I stopped thinking that the CTDs are 100% due to unstable setups. Maybe 50-80% are - and this makes it harder for Asobo to find THE solution because all crash reports end up in the same cauldron - but not all of them.

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

Of course it is true that some CTD's can be caused by overclocking, under-volting, or just hardware breaking down.
Others are caused by add-ons that don't play nicely.  It has always been the case in flight-simming that the more addons you have, the more chance of instability.

But sometimes, when a lot of people start getting them all at once, it is just the MSFS code. 
This has happened before, and many causes for CTD's are found and fixed by Asobo quite frequently.  On nearly every beta update, the notes say 'stability improvements'.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I would exclude add-ons and consider only the CTDs that occur with vanilla sim (empty community folder).

Asobo has no control on thousands of add-ons, I would consider them partly responsible only for those downloaded from the marketplace.

Add-ons developers are responsible for their compatibility and stability. A lot of people who complain about stutters in SU10 on the official forums for example are using Bijan Seasons, Powerlines and Solar Farms... and I know for sure that they are responsible for poor performance in SU10b.

• Like 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png