Sign in to follow this  
Virtual-Chris

Anyone flying extensively in Papua New Guinea

Of course we've all seen Ryan's Missionary Bush Pilot channel on YT, but has anyone followed in his footsteps?  It seems like there's an insane number of bush landing strips there. As an example, this Flightsim.to mod has fixes for over 400 airstrips!  Just browsing Flightsim.to I came across three or four pages of freeware airstrip mods.  Orbx also has a freeware mesh.

Has anyone invested any time there?  Are these mods/mesh good? I'm thinking of firing up the Kodiak there and using Neofly... my fear is I will never leave 😄

If you've spent any time there in the sim, I'd love to hear about your experience.

• Like 1

Absolutely. MSFS has made it possible- along with the SWS Kodiak of course, for the first time in any sim, to genuinely get a taste of the atmosphere and crazy flights Ryan does - eg from Goroka, to Aibai and many others.

Great place to fly!! I grew up in PNG, Rabaul then Mount Hagen in the days of the DC3.

I recently started using a VR headset & boy does that increase the pucker factor going into some of the mountainous strips you can find on Flightsim.to.

I use both the Kodiak 100 & the Twin Otter. Kodiaks. weren't around when I was there & the Twin Otter was only just being introduced. Did do a few flights in the single Otter though from Mt Hagen.

• Like 3

Cheers, Ross

i910900KF | ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Extreme Z590 | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3070 OC 8Gb | 32Gb G.Skill  Ripjaws DDR4 3200 I  Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing | Samsung SSD 870 1TB GB HD | WIN 10 64 Bit

Nothing like running into the side of a mountain in VR during a rain storm, some scary stuff...

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

This sort of area interests me rather more challenging than the uk.

I have the  Just flight Piper Arrow and the Warrier and on Friday picked up the  Milviz 310.   Are these suitable for these type of airstrips in real life  ( Especially the 310) ? 

Thanks

3080rtx  on a i7 12700k with 32 Gig ddr5. 2gig Ssd

Quest 2

Windows 11

4 minutes ago, Bozdog said:

I have the  Just flight Piper Arrow and the Warrier and on Friday picked up the  Milviz 310.   Are these suitable for these type of airstrips in real life  ( Especially the 310) ? 

Thanks

none of those lol  try the default cubs, good variants for those on flightsim.to.

• Like 1

The moment the Kodiak released, that's directly where I went 😛

• Like 3

Intel Core i7 8700k clocked to 4.6GHz, GTX1080Ti, 32GB DDR4 RAM, MSFS installed on NVMe drive, Windows 11, Dell 27" 60Hz Monitor + Dell 24" 60Hz Monitor. Resolution 1920x1080. Game Mode on, GPU scheduling enabled (Win11). MSFS settings: High-End for airlines, Ultra for GA.

58 minutes ago, rayharris108 said:

Apart from the Twitter and Kodiak, the obvious choice would be the C208 Caravan. Especially the steam gauge one… 

Not many VORs in that area, GPS is a must have.. Flew there for several months, got a bunch of add on small airstrips to navigate to. The Kodiak is great in that area. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

.One trap for those flying in PNG is Densityy Altitude.  If you are having problems read up on it.  Because of the high altitudes of many of the strips and the very hot weather there there are many strips that can only be flown to early in the morning.  A fantastic place both in real life and in the sim with some of the nicest people you will find anywhere.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

Harry Woodrow

How's the satellite imagery there? I'd imagine it's pretty cloudy a lot of the time therefore the ground textures might be pretty bad. whats the word?

1 hour ago, dresoccer4 said:

How's the satellite imagery there? I'd imagine it's pretty cloudy a lot of the time therefore the ground textures might be pretty bad. whats the word?

Mostly very good... IMHO.

Bert

7 hours ago, Bozdog said:

Thanks

You really need a bush plane for these airstrips and the C310 is not it.. but as stated above, the Caravan will do the job.

Bert

46 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

You really need a bush plane for these airstrips and the C310 is not it.. but as stated above, the Caravan will do the job.

And for the best, the Kodiak. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310