Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Better have an ICE backup for your EV...

Californians with EVs might have to change their weekend travel planes to comply.  Unless, of course, if they also have a gasolin powered automobile.

https://techcrunch.com/2022/09/02/california-electric-vehicles-limit-charging-labor-day-weekend-heat-wave/

Noel

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

They are asking people to reduce power consumption in general. Not just EV's. Which is prudent given the heatwave. And EV's only at peak times. I'm sure EV's will probably get the electrons they need. Most will be charging over night, not at peak times. 

Makes for a good media headline though. Anything negative about EV's does.

Now... it obviously shouldn't happen but I'll bet this topic goes south and get locked... again. 🙄 I'll eat my shorts if it doesn't... maybe.

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Except if you had planned a trip like from Los Angeles to San Francisco (about 500 miles) driving 65 MPH you would have to stop twice I would guess to recharge (adding another hour or so to your trip) during peak times.  And then hope the place I stopping for a recharge wasn't part of a rolling blackout.

I'll stick to my hybrid.  I could make the trip without having to stop along the way to fill up and if I did t would only take a few minutes to fill the tank.

I suppose EVs will improve in the future but for now no thanks.  Maybe a small one for in town use and the ICE for out of town trips.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

GM are having a problem trying to manufacture EV`s due chip supply shortages and production line held up and going bankrupt.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

10 hours ago, martin-w said:

Now... it obviously shouldn't happen but I'll bet this topic goes south and get locked... again. 🙄 I'll eat my shorts if it doesn't... maybe.

Hmmm - what an opportunity. If I can get film rights I might be able to keep this open.  🙂 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

The CEO of Piedmont Lithium just gave everyone a reality check: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/lithium-supply-ev-targets-miner-181513161.html

There isn't enough supply to meet the unrealistic targets.

And that's just lithium.  Never mind the other rare earth elements that are required for EVs, solar panels, etc.  Guess we'll need more strip mines.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

12 hours ago, martin-w said:

Would you like some hot sauce to go with that?

• Like 3

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Relax this is not an issue. The Government simply doesn't have enough funds to solve all pressing problems, poverty, health, crime, so they are focusing on really matters most: the type of cars we must drive.

• Like 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

16 minutes ago, Fielder said:

The Government simply doesn't have enough funds to solve all pressing problems, poverty, health, crime, so they are focusing on really matters most: the type of cars we must drive.

Relax Fielder.  The EV program doesn't go into effect for another decade.  By that time all the problems of poverty, health and crime will be fixed.  

Noel

Yes, If we elect Martin-W President! He will carry us to the goals by his enthusiasm.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

https://www.adlittle.com/en/insights/viewpoints/european-battery-recycling-emerging-cross-industry-convergence

The loop will close people.

"Europe has become the latest and hottest arena for the global Li-ion recycling industry"

"A strong recycling ecosystem is therefore seen as a way to mitigate risk, as well as an avenue to lower the environmental impact of mining new minerals in the EU."

And of course there are a number of alternatives to lithium that are being researched. Sodium, Iron, to name just two.

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, charliearon said:

Would you like some hot sauce to go with that?

God no! Can I have barbecue sauce please.

You're going to keep this open no matter what aren't you? So I have to eat my shorts? 

However, I feel confident that now "lockmatron" has joined the thread a mission scrub is inevitable. I'm sure the launch director is ready and waiting.

Edited by martin-w

6 hours ago, Fielder said:

Yes, If we elect Martin-W President! He will carry us to the goals by his enthusiasm.

Negative earthling. I have no enthusiasm, only facts. In fact I like ICE cars. They give me a thrill. And a Ferrari is good for atracting busty blonde girls. 

Don't worry petrol heads, it's coming. My prediction is that by 2030, electrons will be a no brainer for pretty much all of us. I will let you keep your classic ICE car for those rallies and things enthusiasts do. And a Ferrari for me for when I would like to pick up a few busty blondes. They love the roar and throb of my big engine.

Recycling batteries is an oportunity worth billions. The loop will close. 

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/battery-recycling-market-size-worth-19-9-billion-by-2030-grand-view-research-inc-301563952.html

Edited by martin-w

"In 1899 and 1900, more electric cars were sold in the United States than any other type of vehicle. In 1903, London boasted more electric cars than vehicles with internal combustion engines."

spacer.png

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Fielder said:

"In 1899 and 1900, more electric cars were sold in the United States than any other type of vehicle. In 1903, London boasted more electric cars than vehicles with internal combustion engines."

Dinosaur juice had too many advantages though and overtook the electrons.

But now the tables have turned.

Electrons for the win. 😉

https://www.recurrentauto.com/research/ev-adoption-us#:~:text=EV Adoption Models Are Accelerating&text=In other words%2C comparing the,is accelerating faster than anticipated

https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/metals-and-mining/our-insights/lithium-mining-how-new-production-technologies-could-fuel-the-global-ev-revolution

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1