Sign in to follow this  
Pastaiolo

XP12: the good, the bad, the ugly

56 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

so if they don't need much why are they charging 20$ for the upgrade like Rotate or FF ?

Because they can. One developer has all his planes updated for 12 before it was released. No charge.

• Like 1

Straight out of the box the lighting/colour temperature/colours are correct - no odd tints anywhere.  Shadows on the ground from clouds and shadows in the clouds themselves all look good.  An excellent start for XP12 imho.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

On 9/7/2022 at 6:51 AM, scotchegg said:

Or looked at another way, just 6 days away from your next uninstall😜

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I am becoming more and more impressed with the clouds and lighting in XP12 by the hour.  Sure, there are some ugly clouds and graphical anomalies like flickering, but the good stuff after two days is encouraging.  I think some have jumped the gun with cloud criticism, but personally I am seeing plenty of believable skies.

A random place in the USA - the natural colours, shadow and blending look great to me.  The global nature of the weather is shown with blue skies ahead - look at the change from a solid overcast to smaller clouds.  

Orbx7.png

MSFS has struggled with flat bottoms to the clouds at the dew point level, but XP12 has already got this right. Again, look into the distance at the clouds blending nicely with the haze.

Orbx5.png

• Upvote 2

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

XP-12 has made some strides in the right direction.

The three most important things to me in flight simulation are realistic depiction of weather (including clouds,) terrain and ground feature accuracy, and multiplayer.

The clouds and weather I've seen so far look terrible, the ground looks like flying over a garbage dump, and there is no in-built multiplayer.

I'll keep waiting, but if this is release-candidate material, I don't know how much further LR can improve for my use-case.

• Like 1

Corsair 5000D Airflow | Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Master | i7-11700K @ 4.9GHz | Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR4-3600 CL16 RAM | Crucial P5 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME | WD 14TB external HDD | Gigabyte RTX 3080 Aorus Master | EVGA G3 850 W 80+ Gold PSU | LG 32GP850-B 32.0" 2560x1440 165Hz | Saitek X52 HOTAS | Win10 21H2

10 minutes ago, OlliePen said:

The clouds and weather I've seen so far look terrible

What was terrible about the clouds I posted above?

Edited by MrBitstFlyer
  • Upvote 1

The XP clouds? They look massively out of focus and low-resolution. It's not my eyes, I don't think; I just picked up a new pair of eyeglasses this afternoon.

The clouds look like someone drew them with pastel chalk and projected them onto a static background display, to my view, anyway.

I've not yet seen any videos of pilots actually flying into and around those clouds and weather, but let me tell you, it's a different animal altogether from what the competition presents. I'm not boosting the competition, here, or castigating LR/XP, but work needs to be done, IMO, to make the clouds appear more real.

Edited by OlliePen
  • Like 3

Corsair 5000D Airflow | Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Master | i7-11700K @ 4.9GHz | Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR4-3600 CL16 RAM | Crucial P5 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME | WD 14TB external HDD | Gigabyte RTX 3080 Aorus Master | EVGA G3 850 W 80+ Gold PSU | LG 32GP850-B 32.0" 2560x1440 165Hz | Saitek X52 HOTAS | Win10 21H2

Yeah, MSFS clouds really went backwards after SU5, although SU10 is showing some nice returns to form. I think they'll get there in the end and we'll then have a solid engine with local and global weather smoothly and accurately represented, including clouds.

I think the opportunity for XP is going to be when 3PD's get to work on the weather. Being shut out of the MSFS ecosystem, they have no place to go but XP, and that may prove to be a huge plus for XP's weather / cloud quality. 

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

2 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Orbx7.png

The clouds do look pretty good there, but oooof, that cockpit lighting is awful. Maybe that's the problem I have with the cockpit shots so far; are they using rehashed XP9/10 cockpits with no PBR / occlusion? I'm guessing native XP12 developments will look a heck of a lot better.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

14 minutes ago, scotchegg said:

The clouds do look pretty good there, but oooof, that cockpit lighting is awful. Maybe that's the problem I have with the cockpit shots so far; are they using rehashed XP9/10 cockpits with no PBR / occlusion? I'm guessing native XP12 developments will look a heck of a lot better.

The aircraft is built for XP-12

54 minutes ago, scotchegg said:

but oooof, that cockpit lighting is awful.

Only because you arnt keeping tabs with what going on. As pointed out, there is a difference between a cockpit in bright sunshine and one under shadows in clouds, This will need tweaks till most are happy, and guess what thats what happens in XPLANE. Complete lighting rewrite its a beta , do we need to tell you again its a BETA, and just in case you missed it , a BETA pre release.

54 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Oh, just an unlucky example then. Mind you, if I just saw the BN2 Islander cockpit for MSFS I would think that had poor cockpit lighting too.

• Like 1

bad: 25 fps with some clouds (i have a 3080ti lol)

xplanefps.jpg

Edited by UKflyer
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, blingthinger said:

The plane itself looks like it's trying to be XP12

If it was, it'd have a Boeing FMC. 😜

• Like 2

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

16 minutes ago, UKflyer said:

bad: 25 fps with some clouds (i have a 3080ti lol)

xplanefps.jpg

Those clouds look like you're flying over Antarctica. 😄

Edited by tweekz
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved