Sign in to follow this  
Treetops45

SU10/ DX12 Benefits??

2 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

I hope that’s the case here. I also hope they will have solved the masking of cockpit instruments to avoid artifacts. Are you optimistic this is the case?

TBH I'm not expecting the cockpit masking to be included in SU10. Hopefully soon anyways. For now I'll tolerate the slightly blurry instruments. I feel like overall the positives outweigh the negatives.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Kopteeni said:

TBH I'm not expecting the cockpit masking to be included in SU10. Hopefully soon anyways. For now I'll tolerate the slightly blurry instruments. I feel like overall the positives outweigh the negatives.

What are the positives that you’re expecting?

16 hours ago, Virtual-Chris said:

When you think about what DLSS is doing, which is rendering the scene at a lower resolution, and then upscaling it using some deep learning algorithm to try and predict what’s missing, there’s simply no possible way it can provide better image quality than a fully rendered scene. You could argue that the quality drop using DLSS is imperceptible, but it cannot be better. It’s really like trying to say the image quality at 1080p is better than 1440p… it’s just not. 

Although it may sound counter-intuitive, sometimes lower detail can look better to the eye.. If the higher detail introduces shimmering, as some have mentioned, the "lower detail" can be more pleasing to look at.. 😉

And, if the performance is better... pretty soon that could be the preferred mode..

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

38 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Although it may sound counter-intuitive, sometimes lower detail can look better to the eye.. If the higher detail introduces shimmering, as some have mentioned, the "lower detail" can be more pleasing to look at.. 😉

And, if the performance is better... pretty soon that could be the preferred mode..

Agreed. I also liked the look with DLSS enabled, though I didn't like the blurry cockpit. If they can fix that, I may end up flying with DLSS on, even though I have a 3090 Ti. The image just looked less "artificially" sharp, and the shimmering was either gone or imperceptible.

Of course this is entirely subjective, @Virtual-Chris may well prefer the non-DLSS look.

Edited by FlyingGoose
  • Like 2

The beta improved fps and stutters immediately on my first flight, and every flight. DLSS got rid of shimmering. Like for instance the jumpy shimmer in the distance when looking through the circle of the prop on single engine planes, (especially in VR). DX 12 helps a little but in fps, but I leave it off for now. This beta has done more good on my system than any other sim update.

• Like 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Once they fix the vanishing apron tiles issue, it is byebye DX11 and welcome DX12 for me. In VR the performance improvement is huge. Yesterday I gave DX12 another try and was blown away by the smoothness in VR. And that with a increased renderscale from 70 to 90% (almost 3000p). Albeit some frameloss (30 > 25) it was still a lot smoother than DX11. Besides that it seemed somewhat lower utilisation of hardware.

SU10 beta on AMD RX6800xt - 5800x3d

Edited by Gerwil
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I think where DLSS makes the most sense is for those using render scaling… since DLSS is essentially a better type of render scaling but that assumes they either fix the cockpit artifacts or you don’t care. 

In my case, m at around 50FPS at 4K on ultra settings and TLOD 400 so buying a few more FPS at the expense of any image quality is not something I’m interested in but I will try DLSS and see if the quality impact is unnoticeable - If so, I’ll take a few free FPS but if there’s any sacrifices on the image rendering it will be turned off.

I haven’t seen shimmering at 4K Ultra but now I’m afraid to look for it 🙂

And this all assumes that DX12 doesn’t have other issues. 

Edited by Virtual-Chris

3 hours ago, Virtual-Chris said:

In my case, m at around 50FPS at 4K on ultra settings and TLOD 400

If you have the PMDG 737 what kind of frame rate upon arrival at say EDDF, or KFJK w/ T-LOD 400?  That is so far past what my machine does at 3440x1440.  As an ARRIVAL airport in the PMDG 738 I'd need to have T-LOD around 100 tops to avoid sabotaging 30FPS by vsync.  You see my system specs.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I am on the beta.

Anyone knows why with 2 identical pc’s one shows terrain bleedthrough on the ground with DX12 enabled and the other shows everything normal ?

That started with MSFS that had the version ending on 18….

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

On 9/16/2022 at 10:41 PM, Virtual-Chris said:

However, MSFS is based on ancient code that is main-thread limited.

Where is this coming from ? It is the case for P3D, not MSFS.

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

14 hours ago, Virtual-Chris said:

What are the positives that you’re expecting?

I've been flying quite a bit in the beta version and already the VR experience has improved significantly due to DLSS. The object rendering near and far are rock solid, no shimmering or jagged edges anywhere. There are way less subtle reminders to your brain that you are in a virtual reality and not sitting in the cockpit of an aircraft.

Edited by Kopteeni
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, GSalden said:

I am on the beta.

Anyone knows why with 2 identical pc’s one shows terrain bleedthrough on the ground with DX12 enabled and the other shows everything normal ?

is everything really identical? look in videosettings for both, exact same drivers, same biossettings etc etc.

52 minutes ago, wim123 said:

is everything really identical? look in videosettings for both, exact same drivers, same biossettings etc etc.

All settings the same. Same GPU, sane M2 , same memory. Different CPU.

It worked correctly up to version 16….

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

7 hours ago, GSalden said:

I am on the beta.

Have you tried clearing out the shaders? I do that every time I switch between the two.

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

10 hours ago, Noel said:

If you have the PMDG 737 what kind of frame rate upon arrival at say EDDF, or KFJK w/ T-LOD 400?  That is so far past what my machine does at 3440x1440.  As an ARRIVAL airport in the PMDG 738 I'd need to have T-LOD around 100 tops to avoid sabotaging 30FPS by vsync.  You see my system specs.

I haven’t got back to airliners yet, just the Kodiak for me. When I get into Photogrametry areas or a major airport I have seen it drop down to 40FPS.