Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Landing 737 versus Fenix A 320

8 minutes ago, silentghostx said:

I am wondering whether if you guys use rudder pedals and if this makes any difference? As I can see that several of you have now reverted back to .104 version. 

Rudder pedals are much easier, but I don't want more junk on my floor 🙂
I don't fly the Fenix, but I have issues with many planes when using the Logitech. 
The t1600m is decent ergonomically, but not enough buttons at the top. The VKB flies the smoothest.

If anyone wants to buy a "tried once" open box VKB Gladiator SCE Premium, PM me. 
Their return policy was so strict I would have lost half the value returning it, so now I'm stuck with it.

The VKB Gladiator is BY FAR the best joystick, but it doesn't fit my hand size.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

Just never felt the need to previously in P3D. The twist on the stick has always been what I have used. But seriously considering getting one now, as MSFS has definitely upped the game with the wind and gusts especially with this update, and I actually need to have downward aileron input with the stick which is much harder to do with a twisting motion at the same time… will need to apply for approval from the “finance” dept 🤣😜

Chen Chen

MSFS: FENIX A320 / PMDG 737 / FBW A32NX / WT 787-10

NZAA 

Just now, silentghostx said:

Just never felt the need to previously in P3D. The twist on the stick has always been what I have used. But seriously considering getting one now, as MSFS has definitely upped the game with the wind and gusts especially with this update, and I actually need to have downward aileron input with the stick which is much harder to do with a twisting motion at the same time… will need to apply for approval from the “finance” dept 🤣😜

I found using a twist grip and making good crosswind landings in any kind of aircraft in a flight sim to be just about impossible. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 minute ago, Bobsk8 said:

I found using a twist grip and making good crosswind landings in any kind of aircraft in a flight sim to be just about impossible. 

The gladiator does a good job, you'd be surprised. It's night and day compared to the other 5 joysticks I have owned total (though right now only have 3 here). It is WAY more controllable on the twist axis than the others, the 1600m isn't terrible though, the Logitech is. 

• Upvote 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

Thanks Bobsk8. Happy to take recommendations on the pedals - what are you using?

Chen Chen

MSFS: FENIX A320 / PMDG 737 / FBW A32NX / WT 787-10

NZAA 

4 minutes ago, silentghostx said:

Thanks Bobsk8. Happy to take recommendations on the pedals - what are you using?

I am using Logitech right now, used to use CH Pedals, until they finally went bad after 10 years. The only problem with the Logitech is that it slides around on the floor. To fix that, I got a 2 x 2 foot piece of 1/2 inch plywood from Home depot and screwed the pedals down with that. Solid as a rock, and no sliding. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

12 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

It certainly is difficult, but I've been twisting away for about 5 years now and have become fairly adept at it.

I still have my rudder pedals and hope to reinstall them some day.  Though retired, I run some multimedia businesses - the additional microphones, interfaces, lighting controls, scanners, etc. require a lot of cables.  I've put them in as neat as I can but they take up some of the floor space that my rudder pedals used to occupy - there's just no room for them right now.

Randall Rocke

2 hours ago, ffantasy67 said:

The AC literally falls off the sky during flare in manual landing. Attempts to correct the attitude result in hard landings and long bounces

Same.
I should have had an absolute greaser. Speed 143 kts into light headwind, 5 nose up attitude at 50' with flaps 3, gentle back pressure on the sidestick, "5" callout on GPWS, R.O.D. trend line on PFD altittude showing horizontal.
Instead, *bam* -299 landing rate per Landing Rate Monitor app.

50 minutes ago, silentghostx said:

Happy to take recommendations on the pedals - what are you using?

Not the cheapest, but fantastic quality pedals are MFG Crosswind pedals.

Edited by F737MAX

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

1 minute ago, F737MAX said:

Same.
I should have had an absolute greaser. Speed 143 kts into light headwind, 5 nose up attitude at 50' with flaps 3, gentle back pressure on the sidestick, "5" callout on GPWS, R.O.D. trend line on PFD altittude showing horizontal.
Instead, *bam* -299 landing rate per Landing Rate Monitor app.

I think any landing 300 fpm or less on the Fenix, is a greaser...

4 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I think any landing 300 fpm or less on the Fenix, is a greaser...

😂

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Just finished my 2nd flight of the day in the Fenix..  Turn off AP at 700 feet, aim at touchdown zone, speed right on the money 137 knots,  minimums,    100 feet,  50 feet, 40 feet didn't touch anything...... wait.... wait.. float,   pass the touchdown zone........  30,,,,,,, 40     30    20   10   touchdown... 305 FPM........Unreal.......  Waiting for the Kodiak update to drop, then I think I will give the Fenix a rest for maintenance. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, silentghostx said:

I’m interested in the issues with landing.

Prior to this most recent update I cannot control the plane after touchdown with a crosswind >5knots, and will almost always drift off the runway once the nose is on the ground with excessive input from the rudder axis.

The most recent update seems to have fixed this issue, for which I am happy about. I am using the Thrustmaster A320 stick and throttle only. 

I am wondering whether if you guys use rudder pedals and if this makes any difference? As I can see that several of you have now reverted back to .104 version. 

Thanks!

You'll really improve your control authority with a twist stick + rudder combo.

If you use the twist axis on your stick for nose wheel steering / tiller, then the rudder pedals will, at full deflection, only give you six degrees of nose wheel deflection. That's a huge increase in precision when landing or taking off. Without having an active tiller / nose wheel steering axis, you'll get the full 74 degrees of deflection on the nosewheel with full rudder deflection.

To put that in perspective, that's like putting your steering wheel hard over on the freeway at 150 mph / 241 kph. You can see how much of a difference a tiller axis can make in directional control during landing / take-off.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

Just finished my 2nd flight of the day in the Fenix..  Turn off AP at 700 feet, aim at touchdown zone, speed right on the money 137 knots,  minimums,    100 feet,  50 feet, 40 feet didn't touch anything...... wait.... wait.. float,   pass the touchdown zone........  30,,,,,,, 40     30    20   10   touchdown... 305 FPM........Unreal.......  Waiting for the Kodiak update to drop, then I think I will give the Fenix a rest for maintenance. 

Honestly, most of my landings are like that and even though the FPM might be 300ish, the landing force usually sits between 1.1 - 1.2G which I'd consider to be acceptable for an airliner.

Edited by Ohmsquare

1 hour ago, WestAir said:

You'll really improve your control authority with a twist stick + rudder combo.

If you use the twist axis on your stick for nose wheel steering / tiller, then the rudder pedals will, at full deflection, only give you six degrees of nose wheel deflection. That's a huge increase in precision when landing or taking off. Without having an active tiller / nose wheel steering axis, you'll get the full 74 degrees of deflection on the nosewheel with full rudder deflection.

To put that in perspective, that's like putting your steering wheel hard over on the freeway at 150 mph / 241 kph. You can see how much of a difference a tiller axis can make in directional control during landing / take-off.

Tiller is never used in any mode but taxiing.