Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Landing 737 versus Fenix A 320

I have the same experience where I can land the 737 quite easily. It feels smoother in the various transitions in the flare, so I average -90 to -200 on average with the 737 as it's more predictable/consistent. The Fenix... it's higher, -200 to -300 on average. I haven't really done many flights in it admittedly as I am more of a boeing guy, but yea it doesn't feel as smooth for sure. It feels like towards the latter end of the flare, the ground effect kicks in more abruptly and it's making it much more easy to float it. I also am not a fan of the eye level of the plane too, I feel like we're a bit high in relation to seeing the ground from the outside so it makes the flare harder to gauge as well. Maybe it's just what I am used to, but I suspect that has a bit to do with it as well.

That ground effect should be a gradual change as you move into it. With a smooth text book round out, the aircraft continue you to sink unless you over flare or a bit fast causing the float.

Just one thing to mention: you compare two aircraft types which are completly (!) different, irl aswell. It is absolutley normal that the behaviour of an A320 is a little bit more difficult than 737

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I am seriously thinking about getting the PMDG 737, because these erratic landings in the Fenix are really starting to annoy me. 

Get the 600. Can’t beat the price and it flys and functions just like the other three

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I’ve had a lot of landings in both in the 300-400 fpm range.  I think I’m just rusty…hopefully with fall now here and my sim time increasing I will be able to stop knocking my virtual passengers’ fillings out on touchdown!

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

There's still issues with the sim itself that are exaggerating issues with the FNX, IMO.  The winds are one prime example.  In the FNX any kind of wind and you're ballooning all over the place on short final.  While they've made it a lot better (no more loss of elevator control, Tokyo drifting, etc.), there's still some issues that still make very hard to land this thing. 

I'm sure they'll get the rest of the issues ironed out pretty soon.  Amir was just on stream last night testing a new build.  I think it's great to see them reacting so quickly to any issues that crop up.  It's probably pretty hard to keep up with ASOBO as their dev pace is so fast as well.  They're constantly making changes to the flight model.  While that's a good thing, it's probably not easy to keep up with.  🙂 

• Like 3

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

9 minutes ago, regis9 said:

I’ve had a lot of landings in both in the 300-400 fpm range.  I think I’m just rusty…hopefully with fall now here and my sim time increasing I will be able to stop knocking my virtual passengers’ fillings out on touchdown!

😁

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

With the Fenix, I keep the power on as i start the flare then gradually reduce to bring the aircraft down. As opposed to the 737 where i just cut the power completely whilst gradually pulling the nose up.

Works for me.

As long as the undercarriage stays intact, I'm happy.  The Fenix is harder to land for sure. 

Edited by rocketlaunch

Specs: 11900K (5ghz), 64GB ram 3600mhz, RTX 3080 ti

1 minute ago, mobiel said:

I do not have any problems to land the fenix 🙈

What is your landing rate in FPM?

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Between 100 und 200 which is quite normal.

Not the smoothest landing is the best as in real 😉

12 minutes ago, mobiel said:

Between 100 und 200 which is quite normal.

Not the smoothest landing is the best as in real 😉

I have been averaging around 275-300 fpm. Before the update to the Fenix, it was much lower.  I just tried some approaches where I handflew the approach instead of using the AP, to 500 AGL, and I got 3 landings under 150fpm. I think I am going to start turning the AP off at 1,000 instead of 500. 

A 737 is more prone to floating during flare than an A320, so it's normal to see a tendency towards firmer and earlier touchdowns with an A320 in comparison to a 737. Also, an ideal touchdown is at -100 to -300 fpm, so it isn't an issue to consistently touch down in that range but in fact the goal. A rate below -100 fpm tends to give up valuable runway length due to floating.

Edited by threegreen
  • Upvote 2

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD