Sign in to follow this  
chickster25

Problem with resizing images from FSLTL for FPS saving

8 hours ago, toby23 said:

Just completed a perfect flight to Faro and on arrival saw these two sad planes.. so for me at least, it hasn't worked with every texture but looking through the folders, I can't see any black textures, so I am not sure why this has happened... just an FYI for anyone else wondering..

almost.jpg

so-close.jpg

I have sat at Faro for a while this morning and all looks good. I cannot guarantee that your troublesome aircraft have not appeared but I am sure I saw the Air Portugal plane and mine looked ok.

You could try and resize those particular images again, or just replace with the originals and live with a couple of full size liveries.

Do you by any chance know what model these are and which airline the dotted P is?

Edited by toby23

Ryzen 5800X3D, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, Windows 10

I just checked Faro now and there is a black A319 (I looked in the injector window this time!) but the others display just fine.

faro-now.jpg

32 minutes ago, toby23 said:

Do you by any chance know what model these are and which airline the dotted P is?

Its Brussels Airlines, either an A320 or A319... I can usually only tell the difference from the fact that the 320 has 2 emergency exit doors over the wing and the 319 has 1 but I cant see the detail in your screenshot.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, toby23 said:

I just checked Faro now and there is a black A319 (I looked in the injector window this time!) but the others display just fine.

At Faro I have a different line up but the 319 is there and seems to be OK.

The only thing that I did to get a successful texture conversion was use 1 CPU core instead of multiple. Nothing else changed. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

I suspect that adding mipmaps using a batch has caused this. These textures seem to be incredibly sensitive to any kind of intense batch processing. I will try again.

Edited by toby23

8 minutes ago, toby23 said:

I suspect that adding mipmaps using a batch has caused this. These textures seem to be incredibly sensitive to any kind of intense batch processing. I will try again.

I mipmapped the textures using Ordenador and from what I can see so far, it seems to heave worked. Perhaps worth a try?

Edited by Vel

I just had only the MipMaps box ticked, everything else unticked.  

• Like 1

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

36 minutes ago, flyhalf said:

I just had only the MipMaps box ticked, everything else unticked.  

Can you please attach screenshot of your Odonator settings.

I found that Ordernator does compress the images a bit further with the other options ticked, but visually I could not see any differences. 

Im guessing that @toby23 may have used a different mipmap batch script to the rest of us?

I have to applaud the devs on this one, the sounds as I sit and watch the ai traffic is just superb!

@chickster25 I use my own command line batch commands for texture manipulation, which have worked fine until now. UPDATE - I used Ordenador and that worked!

---------

A DDS texture uses compression which is lossy by nature. The trick is to find the best form of compression, DXT 1, 3 or 5.

The one to choose depends on if the image has an Alpha channel or not. Ordenador can do this automatically.

But you are compressing an already compressed image, so you will see some image degradation.

The best way to convert DDS is to first decompress them, for example to a PSD, and then edit them and recompress them back into a DDS file.

Batch resizing with XnView MP will also add some image degradation, which is why you have options for 'Resample' in the Output tab.

Lanczos is one of the best resampling methods causing the least noticeable image degradation.

N.B. With XnView MP, you are able to exclude all of the other textures that do not need editing. In Ordenador, you will be adding mipmaps to ALL of the textures in the folders that do not have mipmaps as you cannot exclude files and some of those textures, such as Normal Maps, should not normally be mipmapped. The settings below will just add mipmaps to any textures that do not already have them but you will have errors in the log where Ordenador cannot add mips to certain files. This should be fine as we only want to add mipmaps to the resized liveries, which Ordenador does.

ordenador-settings.jpg

The optimised files are on the left.

savings.jpg

And it works 🙂

success.jpg

faro2.jpg

Edited by toby23
  • Like 2

There seems to be something wrong with the aircraft shadows on the ground, though (also on Vel's Easyjet screenshot above). I wonder if it's caused by the converted textures. 

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

15 minutes ago, Alvega said:

There seems to be something wrong with the aircraft shadows on the ground, though (also on Vel's Easyjet screenshot above). I wonder if it's caused by the converted textures. 

I did notice that shadow issue. Given the amount of group effort it has taken to get to the stage where smaller textures actually work consistently, Ive decided to ignore it! (For now...😉)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Alvega said:

You're right, I only just spotted that. I checked and it is only happening on the aircraft that were causing me such a headache earlier. It appears to be using the Alpha layer to render the shadow, which is completely wrong. I think that something is wrong with the way some of these models have been converted for MSFS or the way the textures have been saved but I could be wrong. The screenshot below is taken with UNEDITED STOCK textures, so it is not a result of the conversion process.

unedited.jpg

Edited by toby23