Sign in to follow this  
rondon9898

More stupid gusts, this time on final

2 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I know how to spell.....😉

Sorry professor Bob. Spelling words correctly is something that you learn while flying C172, that's why I'm bad. 

3 minutes ago, orchestra_nl said:

Turbulance I get plenty, in areas where I expect them to be, and less often in area's where I don't expect them. I am not a real pilot so my expectations can be wrong though. I have yet to experience noticable gusts during approach and landing though but perhaps that's as someone else has mentioned, that might be due to the aircraft I am flying (Blacksquare Caravan and Cessna 414 mostly).

I get turbulence and gusts when the metar says wind is 3 knots. But according to the alleged real world pilots it's correct (it's not, but let's them believe so)

The audio in that video states the winds at 20kts gusting 33kts. Maximum crosswind component for C172s is usually between 15 and 20kts. You can push these limits depending on pilot skills and comfort level.

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Ten Minutes of the F-14 Tomcat and Supercarrier - Launch - Mission - Recovery | DCS World | 4K

26 minutes ago, Jeeeno said:

So in real life when you takeoff in a C172 with a 10 knots crosswind, you need full rudder. Ok. 

PS: also claiming everything is correct without knowing nothing about things, just because you flew a C172 in 1975 is worthless. 

The full rudder thing……its really off and weird. I now need full rudder applied to counter a crosswind on takeoff in the pmdg 737. 

I have a lot of time in the 737 and I can tell you that that is so unrealistic. Has to be a sim thing.

• Like 6

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

2 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

The full rudder thing……its really off and weird. I now need full rudder applied to counter a crosswind on takeoff in the pmdg 737. 

I have a lot of time in the 737 and I can tell you that that is so unrealistic. Has to be a sim thing.

That sounds like a FM aircraft thing. In the Fenix, I never have to use full rudder on takeoff, and I can hold it right on the centerline until rotation. Now with the kodiak and that big  tail, I have to use alot more rudder to stay on the runway. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Ah the good old avsim crowd engaging in a dick measuring contest as usual. I haven't been around for a while, but it's nice to see some people never change.

Stay classy, stay toxic!

IDGAF about you being a real world pilot, but it seems like it affects your perception of reality. Or maybe it's just an age thing...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Fabrizio Barbierato

CLX319_zps10aeywtl.pngECN0550.png

3 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

According to the Avsim experts, then the real B737 has wrong physics. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jeeeno said:

I get turbulence and gusts when the metar says wind is 3 knots. But according to the alleged real world pilots it's correct (it's not, but let's them believe so)

Not always but you can get sudden gusts with metar light and variable wind.

Thermals cause sudden gusts, and they can be violent.

Best time to fly is in the early morning as the air has settled over night.

Look at winds at 3000' and 6000' that will give you an idea of if there will be any turbulence. As the sun heats the earth it will pull some of that wind down and it can be very sudden with a calm wind on the ground. This is an over simplification but the atmosphere is a very complex system and it has lots of sudden effects on planes especially light GA planes. That is why we have a lot of bent planes around.

Enough said by me on this. I enjoy the sim and the challenges it gives me. It is just a sim but I feel it is very good and fun to fly in. 

• Like 1

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

Just now, 177B said:

Not always but you can get sudden gusts with metar light and variable wind.

Thermals cause sudden gusts, and they can be violent.

Best time to fly is in the early morning as the air has settled over night.

Look at winds at 3000' and 6000' that will give you an idea of if there will be any turbulence. As the sun heats the earth it will pull some of that wind down and it can be very sudden with a calm wind on the ground. This is an over simplification but the atmosphere is a very complex system and it has lots of sudden effects on planes especially light GA planes. That is why we have a lot of bent planes around.

Enough said by me on this. I enjoy the sim and the challenges it gives me. It is just a sim but I feel it is very good and fun to fly in. 

I remember landing at Tamiami Airport in Miami, and when landing from the northwest, there was an area when you went from a grassy surface to a sandy surface, and you would always get a substantial kick from the thermal off that white surface. It would scare passengers, if you didn't tell them about it before hand. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

12 minutes ago, Doering said:

The audio in that video states the winds at 20kts gusting 33kts. Maximum crosswind component for C172s is usually between 15 and 20kts. You can push these limits depending on pilot skills and comfort level.

On short final, if  you don't have enough rudder authority to align the aircraft with the runway, time to go around. I used to love to practice crosswind landings, and land on the upwind wheel first.

• Like 1

Ah, another messy gusts thread, why am I not shocked. Every time someone creates a thread on gusts, turbulence, weather - or something PMDG related, it quickly turns into a toxic word not allowed, non-constructive, name-calling hot mess. Avsim at it's finest 👌🤪

I'll throw in my 2 cents against my better judgement: For more than two months (SU10 beta) I've been flying all over the world (completed a GA world tour), always in real weather, with the new gust system in place. I really can't recall having had any negative reactions to how various aircraft (I fly 10-15 different payware and modded freeware GA) reacts to wind, gusts or turbulence.

For what it’s worth, allegedly I might add, I have around 100hrs RL experience in light GA, single-engine aircraft and I don't think it's way overdone in the sim. And no, I’m not going to post a picture of my PPL license, lol 😂 Either trust me on this or stay paranoid 😉

I'm completely fine with others having other opinions, although I'm a bit baffled why it always gets this messy 🙂

And btw, where the h3ll is hobart?!!

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 11
  • Upvote 4

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

I only jumped in here because the title of that video is misleading. There is a big difference between winds at 20 gusting 33 versus winds at 33 especially for small GA planes! 

• Upvote 2

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Ten Minutes of the F-14 Tomcat and Supercarrier - Launch - Mission - Recovery | DCS World | 4K

Just now, Doering said:

I only jumped in here because the title of that video is misleading. There is a big difference between winds at 20 gusting 33 versus winds at 33 especially for small GA planes! 

Exactly, it looked like it was more like around 15 knots at most when he was about to touch down. A 737 max crosswind is 33 knots, that should tell you something. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

And btw, where the h3ll is hobart?!!

In Tasmania which is the island below Australia.

Btw PMDG sucks still has no EFB 😉

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.

31 minutes ago, VBHB said:

In Tasmania which is the island below Australia.

Haha good one! I’m hoping you’re saying this in all seriousness which could only mean that you’ve been blessed not having read certain posts on Avsim recently 🙂 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”