Sign in to follow this  
rondon9898

More stupid gusts, this time on final

3 hours ago, eslader said:

Man.  I follow a bunch of aviation and sim aviation stuff on Instagram, and some outfit has been advertising motion bases. It'd be tempting if the cheapest 6DOF one wasn't like 9 grand (and I suspect you don't start getting quality until the 20k one).

The Motion platforms in the Level D sims the airlines use run around $5 million...

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

9 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

The Motion platforms in the Level D sims the airlines use run around $5 million...

Oh I know, I've used them. But even if I had the money, space, and a wife who wouldn't murder me in my sleep, the power requirements would make it impossible.

The home motion bases aren't going to be nearly as good as the level-D stuff, but unless someone invents direct brain interfaces to our computers that can feed us false movement sensations, they're probably as good as it's gonna get for home sims. 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2022 at 6:30 AM, Claudius_ said:

This is a very interesting video regarding the "stupid" wind gusts: you can see that the behavior of a plane in the wing gusts strongly depends by the plane type. Also, the pilots here use the flaps very carefully, some of them don't make full extend, others have more problem with low wing planes (stronger ground effect). The C172 plane types with a moderate use of the flaps seem to have the best chance to land correctly in turbulent and Xwind conditions.

FS20 is simulating all this features, not perfect yet,  but the work is in progress.

Another bad example, the DA-62 is supposed to handle pretty stiff crosswinds in real-life, in MSFS the way the wind affects the DA-62 is totally random, landing in crosswinds is like playing roulette.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

I voted to keep turbulence as it is, but I regret this now. While flying a helicopter over mountains on a clear day with live weather,  it was very quiet at first, and then I got hit by heavy turbulence every few seconds for the next 15 minutes. I have a motion platform and I was getting shaken up to the point I had to disable the motion to continue the flight. Eventually all the turbulence stopped suddenly. 
As much as I like occasional turbulence, this was way too much and totally unrealistic in my opinion. 

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, Reverb G2, Simrig Motion platform

2 hours ago, Alpine Scenery said:

Another bad example, the DA-62 is supposed to handle pretty stiff crosswinds in real-life, in MSFS the way the wind affects the DA-62 is totally random, landing in crosswinds is like playing roulette

This goes back to the flight model. It seems that default aircraft in simulation have never been close to the real aircraft, they are always missing a level. I'd rather that they put more time into the sim instead of the default aircraft. But, that would mean a release with little or no aircraft and a long wait for third party types. Hopefully some one adjusts that aircraft or create one that behaves as it should.

23 minutes ago, G550flyer said:

This goes back to the flight model. It seems that default aircraft in simulation have never been close to the real aircraft, they are always missing a level. I'd rather that they put more time into the sim instead of the default aircraft. But, that would mean a release with little or no aircraft and a long wait for third party types. Hopefully some one adjusts that aircraft or create one that behaves as it should.

The question is wether the core engine will allow for that OR that asobo had overcooked it with a million and one parameters with an end result of a blanket that’s just too short. Pull it to one end and you’ll expose another….

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ha5mvo said:

The question is wether the core engine will allow for that OR that asobo had overcooked it with a million and one parameters with an end result of a blanket that’s just too short. Pull it to one end and you’ll expose another….

Yep, it's been that way for a long time and usually forces developers to work outside the environment to get things to where they should be. The Majestic Q400 was a good example of developers working around the core engine. I just hope they expedite needed changes so that third parties can continue to work around issues required to capture things realistically.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Yes, the majestic q400 is a great example.

problem is, that in comparison to p3d, msfs is very sandboxed, if that’s the right term.

Just look at how clumsy is the integration of solutions like gsx or fs2crew. I honestly don’t know what it would take to pull a stunt like that of majestics in msfs, or if it’s really feasible to begin with.

I would really like to make the switch to msfs as this is where all future development is going but the way planes fly on the Microsoft platform is a massive turnoff, at least for me.

2 hours ago, ha5mvo said:

I would really like to make the switch to msfs as this is where all future development is going but the way planes fly on the Microsoft platform is a massive turnoff, at least for me.

One good sign is that some major developers have jumped on board vs what we saw back when microsoft flight came out. Even Majestic has announced it will target msfs and other developers see some potential in it. I mainly fly the Fenix A320, PMDG DC6, PMDG 737 and the Leonardo MD80 on msfs. I have no issues with these besides some disruptions when SIM updates come out. The fact that they are constantly developing it is fine by me. Based on your post, you said that you haven't made the switch. I advise that if it's possible, keep all of the sims you like and always try the new ones. Right now I have DCS, Aerofly 2, Aerofly 4, P3D4, MSFS, X-plane 11 and X-plane 12 on my computer. I love the VR experience in DCS and Aerofly. VR is truly where it's at if you want that true realistic immersion. I fly P3D when I want to fly the PMDG 777 and TFDI 717. I use X-plane for the 727 and MD11 and stick with msfs for the rest. I will tell you that when I go to the other sims, I quickly miss the graphics from msfs. I do spend more time in msfs and only fly aircraft that behave as they should through my testing. 

They are still developing, so theres definitely things that would get worked. They have come a loooong way from when it first released. I hated the way the aircraft behaved during rotation and that's all resolved now. The only other issue you have is that its a slow burn waiting for new study level aircraft to be introduced. There are a lot of GA aircraft, but I want my study level heavy iron.

• Like 1

I was just watching CaptainCanadaMoustache's stream: https://www.twitch.tv/canadiancaptainmoustache. CaptainCanadaMoustache is also a real world pilot, I think he flies the planes that drop water for forest fires in Canada.  FYI, CaptainCanadaMoustache is also the one who made the mod for the Aerosoft Twin Otter to make it more realistic, which was subsequently taken down at flightsim.to by Aerosoft, which caused all that controversy and drama.

Anyways, CaptainCanadaMoustache loves the new gusts in SU 10 and he finds the gusts make MSFS way more realistic, according to his real life flying experience.

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

5 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

I was just watching CaptainCanadaMoustache's stream: https://www.twitch.tv/canadiancaptainmoustache. CaptainCanadaMoustache is also a real world pilot, I think he flies the planes that drop water for forest fires in Canada.  FYI, CaptainCanadaMoustache is also the one who made the mod for the Aerosoft Twin Otter to make it more realistic, which was subsequently taken down at flightsim.to by Aerosoft, which caused all that controversy and drama.

Anyways, CaptainCanadaMoustache loves the new gusts in SU 10 and he finds the gusts make MSFS way more realistic, according to his real life flying experience.

He has to be one heck of a pilot to fly a water tanker...

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

2 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

It's obviously far more important to you that the new wind gusts in SU10 are realistic because someone else said they are realistic rather than actually BEING realistic.  

Edited by hobart escin

1 hour ago, hobart escin said:

It's obviously far more important to you that the new wind gusts in SU10 are realistic because someone else said they are realistic rather than actually BEING realistic.  

Notice: those who said that SU10 wing gusts are realitisc have no trouble landing airplane in a sim. Yes MSFS physics is not perfect, but with sufficient amount of effort it's not hard to get "sim skills" to land  even with gusty winds. 

In flight instruction we have called physiological phenomenon called "projection" - it's when student blames all his shortcomings on everything else. I always tell my student that any obstacle they face may seem unfair but it makes them a better pilots. In other words, those who never fail never become good. 

IRL just to land it not good enough. We thrive to keep centerline, touch wheels at predesignated location, recognize unfavorable circumstances and go around, and etc.

Long time ago  when I was just private pilot I got myself in situation when crosswinds picked up to 30 kts in flight. It was way above my "pay grade" to handle those wind! Obviously landing on the "grass" and get blown off runway was't an option for me. So I bounced around trying approach after approach, going around after each failed attempt. I was  battling wind until  one lucky shot when  gusts dropped  lowest I finally was able touch down. I was overstressed and shaken, but next morning I woke up more experienced , confident and more battle-harden.  

So to  me post SU10 simmer has two choices: keep whining or battle gusty winds, get better and beat them 🙂

• Like 9

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

2 hours ago, hobart escin said:

The only way to qualify if they are realistic or not is by the opinions of real life pilots.

Several real pilots in this very thread have said they like the gusts in SU 10. And even if you are a real life pilot, you would probably be the minority in this thread that dislike the gusts in SU 10. Like I said, I have been tracking this topic about gusts in SU 10 across 3 different threads, 2 here in Avsim, 1 in the official MSFS forum. In all 3 threads, more real life pilots like the new gusts in SU 10 more than the real life pilots that dislike the gusts.  The poll is another data point, with 97% of the poll takers saying they like the new gusts, with only 3% saying they dislike the new gusts, with many of the poll takers being real life pilots too.

BTW, shouldn't you spend more time posting in the P3D forums? You said you don't use MSFS and you use P3D.  Not sure why you are still here in the MSFS forums, taking every turn to mock MSFS.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

24 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

Not sure why you are still here in the MSFS forums, taking every turn to mock MSFS.

He's here because trolling is more fun than P3D. 😉

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.