Sign in to follow this  
shermank

The Definition of Madness

1 minute ago, Chapstick said:

Both sims are capable of hosting high fidelity aircraft add-ons. They are both flight simulators. 

I’d argue that msfs isn’t quite there yet from a systems standpoint, though it may get there eventually.  Example would be a functioning weather radar. 

• Like 1

Orman

8 minutes ago, okupton said:

I’d argue that msfs isn’t quite there yet from a systems standpoint, though it may get there eventually.  Example would be a functioning weather radar. 

I mean, it "functions" now that there's the API for it but it's not realistic. But no desktop sim actually has a highly accurate WXR right now anyway. ASP3D gets closest but it does some wonky things. Besides that, something like the Leo MD is pretty much exactly what you get systems wise in both sims. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

I mean, it "functions" now that there's the API for it but it's not realistic. But no desktop sim actually has a highly accurate WXR right now anyway. ASP3D gets closest but it does some wonky things. Besides that, something like the Leo MD is pretty much exactly what you get systems wise in both sims. 

I’m just saying P3d has many positives from an aircraft/systems standpoint. I don’t mean to compare the two sims or knock the other. Excited to see what V6 brings. 

Edited by okupton

Orman

Is everything the MSFS forum?

I'm hoping Lockheed Martin (a company that actually designs and builds real world aircraft) will address the following:

1.  Cloud rendering system (not a fan of TruSky)

2.  Excessive haze everywhere

3.  Ability to set overlapping visibility layers

4.  Native Ambient Occlusion support

5.  Slightly better lighting (it is pretty good but needs slight more adjustments)

6.  Persistent rain/snow effect that form on objects/runways and either increase or decrease over time and impact runway landing lengths

Never had a performance issue with P3D, it's consistently better than other platforms but does take some adjustments to get there and setting up thread assignments correctly to make sure all cores are being used efficiently ... I do see many threads of P3D users not knowing how to set them correctly per hardware, get a lot of incorrect information from other "users" (who appear to be trying to help but can often just muddy the waters).

7 hours ago, CO2Neutral said:

Is everything the MSFS forum?

I'm hoping Lockheed Martin (a company that actually designs and builds real world aircraft) will address the following:

1.  Cloud rendering system (not a fan of TruSky)

2.  Excessive haze everywhere

3.  Ability to set overlapping visibility layers

4.  Native Ambient Occlusion support

5.  Slightly better lighting (it is pretty good but needs slight more adjustments)

6.  Persistent rain/snow effect that form on objects/runways and either increase or decrease over time and impact runway landing lengths

Never had a performance issue with P3D, it's consistently better than other platforms but does take some adjustments to get there and setting up thread assignments correctly to make sure all cores are being used efficiently ... I do see many threads of P3D users not knowing how to set them correctly per hardware, get a lot of incorrect information from other "users" (who appear to be trying to help but can often just muddy the waters).

Thanks for posting the list.

I would vote for #3 and #6 as my top two out of your list.

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

A quote from the so-called CO2Neutral: "I do see many threads of P3D users not knowing how to set them correctly per hardware, get a lot of incorrect information from other "users" (who appear to be trying to help but can often just muddy the waters)".

Strangely I don't see you with your obvious large experience in there helping out. Easier sitting back and criticize without sticking your nose out.

Jorgen

BTW: how does one become CO2-neutral - don't you have to exhale?

Edited by jorgensandersen
  • Like 1

Burn... hehe 🔥

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Gents...we can do without the personal digs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

10 minutes ago, jorgensandersen said:

Jon "Scruffyduck" Masterton died also? We lost Don Grovestine earlier this year...

Jorgen

My mistake. It was Don - author of AIFP who died, not ScruffyDuck who I'm pleased to say is still alive and kicking. Sorry for any confusion.

I've deleted my message.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 10/14/2022 at 2:23 AM, shermank said:

...almost every day I log onto this or other P3D websites, including LM's, waiting for an announcement or even a hint about P3D v6.

It never happens, yet I log on again, and again, and again.

By definition, I must be stark raving mad.

Sherm

Perhaps not! I saw this with my own eyes just a couple days before your OP: 

https://prepar3d.com/v6beta/

the link is 404'd now, but see my post below this one for proof - a screenshot I just took of the beta page using an obfuscated url.

It was also screen capped on at least two other sites:

http://www.pilote-virtuel.com/viewtopic.php?pid=1097696#:~:text=soon in beta%3F-,Ah,-they have already

https://www.simflight.cn/2022/10/prepar3d-v6-封闭测试开启?/#:~:text=INDUSTRY NEWS-,Prepar3D v6 closed beta open%3F,-AuthorJianmin Liu

Should be encouraging signs for you!

Edited by UrgentSiesta
clarification that responding to OP, plus adding proof of beta page on p3d.com
  • Upvote 1

On 10/17/2022 at 3:56 AM, jorgensandersen said:

Again, no one knows anything - anything at all. That is a hard FACT - that v. 6 "is coming" is not, and you know it.

Jorgen

I saw this page with my own eyes not too long ago: 

https://prepar3d.com/v6beta/

that link is 404'd now, but...

it took all of 10 secs of googling to come up with the page moved to an obfuscated url. Pic for your viewing pleasure:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Myl37XLplYQP0uNDCpQk7PB3PAqA6BJL/view?usp=sharing

I'd say that makes v6 factual.

Next topic?

Edited by UrgentSiesta
proof