Sign in to follow this  
shermank

The Definition of Madness

@simfan1983, good points well put. 👏

When my aircraft is positioned at a gate with GSX servicing it is that any better than other sims? Doubt it. At best it’s the same.

When I’m taxiing to the runway are the views really compromised? Do you have time to look around? I’m usually doing checks prior to takeoff. I have decent instructions from RC4 including those to other AIG aircraft. My airports always have other aircraft at them. Again, other sims may have something similar but not better.

Once I’ve taken off the minutes up to reaching 10,000ft are busy for most IFR pilots. For Concorde flights they’re extremely busy. No time to look at the view.

At higher altitudes then yes, I agree the P3D views could be improved. Skies are okay, not spectacular. Lighting (with EA off) is acceptable, nothing more. Definitely room for improvement but my 1080Ti may struggle.

But the weather is correct for the time and date of my flight whether I depart my local UK airport or one on the other side of the planet. And when flying Concorde upper winds and especially temperatures are critical to fuel use. If those aren’t modelled well it’s a waste of time. Do I really want to depart in daylight with nighttime weather? 🤨

P3D has improved by evolution, not revolution. Airports designed for FSX (FSDT, I’m thinking of you here) still work and are decent enough. Others designed for v5 such as FT Boston and Dublin with wet-look taxiways and runways look stunning.

Little things like Cartayna’s custom jetways look spectacular. ChasePlane makes setting views a piece of cake. Custom commands for my GoFlight modules courtesy of Steve’s Pollypot software make things more realistic.

Years of accumulated knowledge have made my P3D installation great for me. Yes, a few more fps at Heathrow would be nice but I can live with it.

Not perfect but then what is? But it ticks most of the boxes for me.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

6 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Not perfect but then what is? But it ticks most of the boxes for me.

Couldn't agree more. P3D can be absolutely stunning and at a bare minimum I still find it very immersive. I personally use EA with low to medium settings and it is very smooth even with a 1080Ti, but I fly online and not with AI traffic using affinity mask and Process Lasso. I cannot wait for the FSLabs Concorde! I never got to fly the FSX version so the P3D version will no doubt give me a few hundred hours of enjoyment 🙂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, simfan1983 said:

I cannot wait for the FSLabs Concorde! I never got to fly the FSX version so the P3D version will no doubt give me a few hundred hours of enjoyment

I flew Tenerife South to Heathrow yesterday. 1,683nm in …. 1hr 51m. No cheating. Tail wind helped push ground speed to 1,360mph. 💪

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Prepar3d is still, and will probably be for some time, my go to flight simulator.  If we get a V6, which I think we will, it will most likely be a day 1 or 2 purchase.  The other sim gets my attention at times, based on updates, but I still come back to Prepar3d.  To me it seems more sim like and that has nothing to do with the complexity of the aircraft or the accuracy of the scenery.  I can't put my finger on it, but Prepar3d just seems better.  Anyway my 2 cents.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

I9-9900, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3090 FTW

1 hour ago, David Vega said:

I also fly it for the aircraft and for the fact that it has a true pause. 

Msfs you can just hit escape and it serves as pause 

• Like 2

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

7 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

When my aircraft is positioned at a gate with GSX servicing it is that any better than other sims? Doubt it. At best it’s the same.

This just isn't true. MSFS allows for much more detailed airports with things like interior modeling without a massive perf hit and waaaayy better night lighting, both in and out the cockpit. 

• Like 6

Again, we were discussing P3d and the MSFS apologists arrive

Edited by Boeingnut
  • Like 1

People who want to rave on about MSFS do so in the MSFS section not the P3D section

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Boeingnut said:

Again, we were discussing P3d and the MSFS apologists arrive

43 minutes ago, airservices said:

People who want to rave on about MSFS do so in the MSFS section not the P3D section

You guys only get mad when MSFS is pointed out in a positive light here. Literally one page earlier someone mentions MSFS negatively but y'all don't seem to care about that. Continue being mad, though. 

Edited by Chapstick
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

You guys only get mad when MSFS is pointed out in a positive light here. Literally one page earlier someone mentions MSFS negatively but y'all don't seem to care about that. Continue being mad, though. 

Hint: P3d forum, not the Church of MSFS

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, micstatic said:

Msfs you can just hit escape and it serves as pause

@micstatic, it does pause when hitting ESC, but I need the pause that freezes everything, including time, and can be invoked by jets before TOD. The only true pause in that simulator is in the developer menu, which has to be invoked manually. It isn't available to the developers. I'm sure they'll add that soon, but just not yet. 

• Upvote 1

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

Yes I agree a feature missing in MSFS but probably not something we should be banging on about in the P3D forum.  Perhaps a sign of the times but despite all the best efforts of the mods when one P3d vs MSFS thread is shut down another pops up within a day or two.

Bruce

• Like 1

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

@brucewtb, you're so right. What I still don't understand is why folks who prefer the other simulator are in this P3D forum campaigning about it. Why not focus on their simulator of choice and respect everyone else? I wonder if they're also evangelizing in the FSX forum.

This forum is about P3D discussions where we all help each other with all its quirks and features, complain about LM not talking, complain about their releases, etc. We do not need liberation or salvation, nor do we need to see the light in other simulators. Don't worry, if for some reason a new person to fly simulation happens to visit this forum, we will tell them of this other simulator that is better for them and let them decide. Don't worry, we will tell developers that may visit, to go and develop for the other sim first, and then if they have any energy left, consider us. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

2 hours ago, David Vega said:

What I still don't understand is why folks who prefer the other simulator are in this P3D forum campaigning about it

That seems to be a common trend which does make one wonder?  I mark it down as the human condition perhaps, an unfortunate flaw in our DNA.

The proliferation of false information provided by those who are clearly NOT platform agnostic just emphasizes their own insecurity in their one and only platform of choice ... indeed why would someone who embraces MSFS (and only MSFS) be here in a P3D forum trying to sell that choice?  What's the reward in that?  An honest answer I'm sure we will never get.

All 3 platforms I use (XP, MSFS, P3D) bring something to the table I enjoy, P3D just happens to bring more to the table that meets my simulation objectives and training objectives for real world flight.  I look forward to embracing V6 to see what it has to offer.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3