Sign in to follow this  
Ricardo41

Wait, What? I'm Supposed To Pay For Liveries Now?

52 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

I don’t appreciate your arrogance but I completely understand where you’re coming from. I support a lot of one man show style businesses in my area that span my other hobbies. Unfortunately, free liveries pay for said other businesses.

Arrogance? I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it to come across as arrogant. I guess I could have phrased it differently. Again - sorry. 😔

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

It does look good, but should at that price. Not for me though as I use a VA livery for every aircraft I fly, like the common theme 🤣

Be interested in what sales he gets when there is so much decent free stuff about.

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

Liveries CAN be a lot of work, sometimes, but it pales in comparison to creating airports from scratch.
It just depends how well the new imagery over-fits the old, sometimes I could make one in 30 minutes.

I agree people should be paid for their work in general, but there is a flood of cash grabs in MSFS, no doubt.
Not speaking of anything listed here, but I mean some of the junk out there people try to make money from, sad.

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

2 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Arrogance? I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it to come across as arrogant. I guess I could have phrased it differently. Again - sorry. 😔

It’s all good! No harm no foul! (This is the time when I hand you a beer) lol 😁

Edited by ahsmatt7
  • Like 3

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

I usually don't buy liveries, but this package was worth paying for.

Those gold/copper accents make the interior and exterior so classy!

Flightsim.to is great, but I don't expect all great work to be free.

Edited by blueshark747
  • Upvote 2

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

5 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Uhm, to support very skilled people that contribute to our community? 🙄 I get your point though, and it’s completely optional (except these liveries). I’ve done a fair few donations over at flightsim.to.

A fair few, is that even an expression?

Uhm it depends... You are missing his point whereas if 2 people do the same thing, and one makes it available for free, what is the point? If you argue quality, etc. etc. sure, then each person will evaluate if it's worth it for them or not. "supporting" just for the sake fo supporting makes zero sense, unless you have a money tree of course., then knock yourself out..

30 minutes ago, Mgard78 said:

Uhm it depends... You are missing his point whereas if 2 people do the same thing, and one makes it available for free, what is the point? If you argue quality, etc. etc. sure, then each person will evaluate if it's worth it for them or not. "supporting" just for the sake fo supporting makes zero sense, unless you have a money tree of course., then knock yourself out..

Like I mentioned a few posts up I should have phrased it differently. IMO these particular liveries I found worth paying for but that doesn’t mean I’ll pay for all liveries. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

9 hours ago, styckx said:

Eh. It's Flight Simulators. Some developers are generous, some want that cold hearted cash and will sell you an emoji if they could. It's been this way forever. 

I used to do repaints for Flight Simulator (FSX and P3D) and Railworks (now Train Simulator) back in the day. I was quite good at it and I sympathize with those who want some return on their hard work. IT"S NOT EASY and what may seem like a simple "repaint" can take a combined total hours of days or weeks worth of work. Each little edit you make requires loading the sim, loading a flight, and checking your work. It's excruciating. Text not aligned between textures? Pinstripe not aligned? Some paint is overlapping a part of the texture you were't expecting it too? Color just not right? Alpha channel needs adjusting?  Close sim, open Photoshop and try again. 

I even used to repaint cockpits. It's EVEN WORSE there.  I I never charged, I did it as a hobby and for myself and just shared them. It's by no means easy whatsoever.  Let's take my cockpit repaint in 2013 of Carenados CT182T..  The wood grain, the old school flannel seat coverings? They were not just handed to me, I spent hours Google image searching for the right textures to use and then cut, paste, edit the size, shape, and transparency etc etc etc so they fit the correct areas of the textures. Then the finer points of redoing all the lettering, drawing the outlines around the letterings on the panels, recoloring parts of the texture. Finding the right fonts. Redoing the lettering itself. Finding a high quality logo to use. Sometimes literally hand drawing specifics.   IT"S NOT EASY or by any stretch of the imagination quick. 

Needless to say. I quit a long time ago. IT"S HARD WORK and there just came a time the amount of work required to pull this stuff off wasn't fun anymore. And the messed up part is, it's nearly 10 years later and I still nitpick and find flaws in my own previous work. "I could've done that better". People who do this stuff beat their brains in for perfection. It's mentally exhausting and taxing. The biggest compliment I ever got was from the legend himself Ron Attwood for my cockpit repaint on the Lancair Legacy. I spent an ungodly amount of time on it and never asked for a cent but I can't slight someone who does. 

Still the pinnacle of my repaint hobby

rXt45iD.jpg

Hah!  That was yours huh?  I loved that interior.  I did one paint (well actually two) for that Realair Legacy.  I'm just too slow with photoshop and I'm not even sure why I do repaints in MSFS.  I spent a week or so on the Legacy paint and I spent a few weeks on the N140J paint for the C414 here in MSFS.  Ugh.  Some people are so much faster with the pen tool I guess.

At any rate - per the topic title - I did recently purchase a pack of CJ4 paints in MSFS.  They look really similar to some popular freeware ones but there were 2 or 3 other designs I liked.  5 bucks can barely even buy you a MCD's meal nowadays.

Here's one (in a pack of 7 I think) thought I purchased:

52446711339_e6bada9aac_k.jpgovhdbos by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Edited by ryanbatc
  • Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I always find it fascinating the differing opinions on paid v free liveries. I've never charged for liveries, I have however had donations for making a specific livery, and some donations just cos people appreciate the work I've done. I've always appreciated the support from those folks.

Some people put a lot of effort into their liveries. I know from personal experience the amount of hours that go into creating a quality livery. Some folks don't pay a lot of attention to detail and still charge. 

I do admit to find it frustrating seeing streamers get more in donations for flying around than I've ever had for time I've put into my work. (But that's not the reason I do it..)

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

1 hour ago, John_Tavendale said:

I do admit to find it frustrating seeing streamers get more in donations for flying around than I've ever had for time I've put into my work. (But that's not the reason I do it..)

No issue here with people selling liveries, or anything really, but things are getting a bit flooded in MSFS with questionable freeware quality stuff being pawned off as something special. I've thought about buying a few liveries myself. That said, just so much "product flooding" in MSFS right now, making it hard to find decent products.

• Upvote 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

I don't know about anyone else, but I'll paint liveries for food.   Food upfront though.   Also, I like to take a nap after I eat so don't rush me.   

What an odd topic to bring up. 

Would the OP rather a world with no community, no passion for a hobby, no genouristy, no sharing? Sure if someone wants to try and sell something go right ahead, but thankfully not everything in this world is about making money.

There is also a very human side of life in sharing a passion, and critically, enjoying that passion for a hobby with a community of like minded people that goes beyond dollar signs and capitalism. That is also a huge part of fullfilment that many people enjoy.....giving to others.

I am sorry for everyone who pays for liveries. There are Million free ones. And yeah back in P3D I made a lot of pmdg liveries with thousands downloads and all free of course 

Lukas Dalton

2 minutes ago, DaWu said:

I am sorry for everyone who pays for liveries. There are Million free ones. And yeah back in P3D I made a lot of pmdg liveries with thousands downloads and all free of course 

I have no issues paying for liveries.  I've also downloaded thousands throughout the years (and made a few myself!)  I've been both a user and contributor to this hobby for nearly three decades.

• Like 3

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |