Sign in to follow this  
MDFlier

MSFS' atmosphere colors are more realistic than I thought

I've always felt that the atmospheric coloration in MSFS was off. Too bright, too blue, and that haze.

Well... I take that back. I was on Youtube watching some commercial pilots' cockpit videos when I ran across the one below. Right from the beginning, the sky looks, well... Just like MSFS. I was wrong. Go figure.

I've got a flight in progress right now, on my main display. Side by side. You tell me. The screen shot made the HDR MSFS side look brighter than it really is next to the video running on an SDR display, but sitting here they are much closer to the video. I'm at FL380 with thicker coverage, so there's no ground to look at in my capture.

spacer.png

It surprised me to say the least.

Edited by MDFlier
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

the sky sky colouring does look very close between the Video and the Sim. But there no telling how far off the Video colours are from reality. Its all very subjective if you ask me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Be aware that MSFS only represents the "look" like its seen through a camera lens. To my eyes it rarely looks that overexposed in reality.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

1 hour ago, MDFlier said:

I've always felt that the atmospheric coloration in MSFS was off. Too bright, too blue, and that haze.

Well... I take that back. I was on Youtube watching some commercial pilots' cockpit videos when I ran across the one below. Right from the beginning, the sky looks, well... Just like MSFS. I was wrong. Go figure.

Yes.  It seems they have adjusted the overdone sunset colours as well now.

I have criticised the colours in the past, but then found they have been quite close on comparison.

One example, in the sim, with medium overcast in daylight, the clouds in the very distance (right on the horizon) have a slight pinkish hue to them. 
I thought this was wrong, but then I saw this in real life at an airshow and was amazed.  I was quite impressed with that - real life copying MSFS! :laugh:

• Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Actually, I think that this heavily depends on monitor and desktop color settings. I always felt like the nights and the sky were too "warm colored" in MSFS, while on the other hand the whole image was oversaturated. Regarding Contrast MSFS has a bit too much, hence the problems reading panels against sunlight. I actually set up a reshade myself which almost made no difference but to correct exactly those things a bit. Now, there is a decent "blue hour" at dusk and dawn as well as a tiny bit less dark shadows.

To anyone familiar with it, here is the -only- effect used with set parameters:

[PD80_04_Color_Gradients.fx]
blendcolor_ds_m=0.156863,0.156863,0.156863
blendcolor_ds_s=0.000000,0.039216,0.117647
blendcolor_ls_m=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000
blendcolor_ls_s=0.470588,0.470588,0.470588
blendmode_ds_m=10
blendmode_ds_s=10
blendmode_ls_m=0
blendmode_ls_s=0
CGdesat=0.000000
dither_strength=0.000000
enable_dither=0
enable_ds=1
finalmix=0.125000
luma_mode=0
maxlevel=0.400000
minlevel=0.030000
opacity_ds_m=0.600000
opacity_ds_s=1.000000
opacity_ls_m=0.000000
opacity_ls_s=0.200000
separation_mode=1

Here are my related usercfg.cfg post processing settings:

{PostProcess
		Enabled 1
		EyeAdaptation 1
		ColorGrading 1
		Sharpen 1
		Fringe 0
		LensDistortion 0
		Dirt 0
		LensFlare 1
		FilmGrain 0
		Vignette 0
		LensBlurMultiplier 0.000000
		FringeMultiplier 1.000000

For additional crispiness, under "FSRmode", set this.

FSRMode BALANCED
	PrimaryScaling 0.500000
	SecondaryScaling 2.000000
	SharpenAmount 1.500000

"SharpenAmount" can be set in the MSFS ingame options as well, I dont use DLSS since I have an older GPU, so 1.5 is enough for me.

Overall, this gives me a fine tuned, natural and acceptable image as well as great performance. Be advised that results may vary or not be noticeable at all.

Edited by Soulflight
copied the wrong post process parameters before, now fixed
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Don't these post-processing things (Reshade / GeForce Experience) cause overhead issues?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

43 minutes ago, Mace said:

Don't these post-processing things (Reshade / GeForce Experience) cause overhead issues?

Yes, but very little.  1 or 2% maybe.  You may lose a frame or two for the sake of having a nicer picture.  Very subjective of course. 

I used it all the time in FSX - not needed so much in MSFS, but the overall greenish / yellow tinge does need a bit of correction I would say.

The problem is some people go too far then it looks too blue / grey.  Less is more sometimes! :smile:

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

2 hours ago, Mace said:

highly depending what effects you use. color or contrast curve correction are mostly for free, but the more complex filters or sharpen stuff etc. take some frames away. I am not a fan of fancy filters which makes games look like you are high on crack while playing, but I use reshade all the time for minor corrections and a more natural look of things.

• Like 1

I use FinalLight and Lumasharpen filters on Reshade and they are amazing.  I have a hardware calibrated monitor and can see a greenish look to the default shaders, something I never really noticed prior to using Reshade.  The difference is quite noticable if you enable/disable it.  No fps loss for those effects

Chris 

• Like 1

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

8 hours ago, Soulflight said:

Here are my related usercfg.cfg post processing settings:

{PostProcess
		Enabled 1
		EyeAdaptation 1
		ColorGrading 1
		Sharpen 1
		Fringe 0
		LensDistortion 0
		Dirt 0
		LensFlare 1
		FilmGrain 0
		Vignette 0
		LensBlurMultiplier 0.000000
		FringeMultiplier 1.000000

For additional crispiness, under "FSRmode", set this.

FSRMode BALANCED
	PrimaryScaling 0.500000
	SecondaryScaling 2.000000
	SharpenAmount 1.500000

A BIG THANK YOU!
On my monitor LG 48GQ900-B 48” Ultragear™ UHD OLED
made such an amazing difference that I can't express enough my gratitude for these findings.

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

10 hours ago, ThomseN_inc said:

Be aware that MSFS only represents the "look" like its seen through a camera lens. To my eyes it rarely looks that overexposed in reality.

Exactly.  I want to see the sim how I would through my own eyes...  not through a camera lens.  I understand everyone's eyes are a little different.  I wish they'd add a parameter in the settings that would 1) allow adjustment of the edge of the darks and highlights, and 2) adjust how fast our eyes "adapt" to bright sunlight and dark spaces.  There was a similar setting in P3D.

I wanted to show a quick demonstration of what the camera is doing in the real video though.... it's metering light  (fancy word for detecting amount of light overall) and based on some parameters, it will try to output the final photo with a balance of lights and darks in mind.  I'd guess about 70% of this frame is dark or darker so the remaining light areas are vastly overexposed.  Sure this is what the camera is doing but my eyes won't do that - at least not that dramatically.  So my desire is to have a setting that controls the range of brightness and darkness...  because still....even with my HDR monitor, the brights are too bright and the darks are too dark.

apparently I can't spell either

52501106310_a733a0a230.jpgmeter by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Edited by ryanbatc

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Here I changed colors in NC CP, made  changes in the menu from each display and made changes using GFE overlay.

Together exactly what I want.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

17 hours ago, MDFlier said:

I've got a flight in progress right now, on my main display. Side by side. You tell me. The screen shot made the HDR MSFS side look brighter than it really is next to the video running on an SDR display, but sitting here they are much closer to the video. I'm at FL380 with thicker coverage, so there's no ground to look at in my capture.

spacer.png

The RL photo is taken inside a darker cockpit with much less view of the outside - of course the photo is going to blow out the highlights.  The exact reason why MSFS and XP12 have eye adaption.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home