Sign in to follow this  
Guest tmilton

Micro Stutters gone when AV disabled!

I read about it, but never did it because I felt I had a sophisticated comuputer setup and one of the best Anti-virus Programs (Trend Micro PC-cillin) that wasn't as "processor-intensive" as Norton's.However...NOW I'M CONVINCED! After many back and forth tests with AV enabled and then disabled, I find my sim "stutter-free" everywhere I found stutters before....when I close down the AV before starting FSX. It's really fun to fly smoothly at KSEA and other airports that are known stutter creators. I know that using the internet for weather and turning off the AV can potentially cause problems, but I'm willing to take the chance to get the smoothness.I'd love to hear from others on this.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

What Av ( antivirus ) do you have. I run AVG and it really dosnt cause any issues. Some AV programmes are real resource hogs, its also better to get it to do a scan at sometime in the middle of the night then when you are using the machine during the day.

I use Zone Alarm and always disable the "On Access" virus scanning when running FSX. Otherwise I get stutters too.

>I use Zone Alarm and always disable the "On Access" virus>scanning when running FSX. Otherwise I get stutters too.I have Zone Alarm Suites,how do you turn off On Access,I cannot seem to find it..thanks

I'm assuming that when you fly you are NOT on-line with Multiplayer?If you are, your leaving your computer wide open to everything.....

I disable my AV program (Avast!) whenever I start-up FSX. Makes a massive difference to load times of photo scenery.

>I'm assuming that when you fly you are NOT on-line with>Multiplayer?>>If you are, your leaving your computer wide open to>everything.....Not if he doesn't disable the firewall also.

>I read about it, but never did it because I felt I had a>sophisticated comuputer setup and one of the best Anti-virus>Programs (Trend Micro PC-cillin) that wasn't as>"processor-intensive" as Norton's.>However...NOW I'M CONVINCED! After many back and forth tests>with AV enabled and then disabled, I find my sim>"stutter-free" everywhere I found stutters before....when I>close down the AV before starting FSX. It's really fun to fly>smoothly at KSEA and other airports that are known stutter>creators. I know that using the internet for weather and>turning off the AV can potentially cause problems, but I'm>willing to take the chance to get the smoothness.>>I'd love to hear from others on this.> I have NAV2007 and have no problems with it.I don't even turn it off when using FSX.It has no noticable affect, for me anyway, when playing games.

When I had to reinstall my computer last week-I tried not reinstalling an av at all-my performance has gone way up. Even with it "off" I wonder if it wasn't taking up some kine of resources. When I had it running with ultimate terrain my load times were 30-40-minutes-when I had it turned off 5-8-now with it gone I can't tell the difference between the default/ut-about 1 minutes to load. I was using avast.I may just keep this 4 year old computer to run fs only-do no internet on it other than multiplayer/rw downloads and take my chances on viruses-for the performance/fps/short loading times /smoothness increase it is well worth it.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderator http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Yes, in my case the AV off makes a difference. However, I'm also finding that keeping my frames on UNLIMITED can also contribute to micro-stutters. So often, my frames shot up and down...sometimes as high as 90+ and then back down. This constant up and down movement of such a great range added to the stutter problem. I now keep my frames at 35 and find that combined with the AV off, my flights are the smoothest they've ever been. Stan

I'm using NAV and Real WX so I keep NAV on at all times in the background. I get little to no stutters. I have my FR locked at 25fps.

I'm using Norton Anti-virus (NAV) and Real WX so I keep NAV on at all times in the background. I get little to no stutters. I have my FR locked at 25fps.

I use Kaspersky AV 6.0 and I really like it. I has so many features that don't bog the computer down. Trend Micro for me made the computer run so slow, I finally removed it and switched. The 2006 version was fine, but 2007 added all these new features and problems.At any rate, I turn the AV off completely, as in removing it from start up using MSConfig.exe before running FS. I use MSConfig to turn off anything I don't need, then reboot.

I was an avid user of Norton Antivirus until I began to see what a resource hog it could be, especially after the installation of FSX. There are better and more streamlined antivirus programs with far fewer demands on your system such as NOD32, Avast, AVG, etc. After dumping Norton and moving to another AV software I found my system as whole ran faster, and improved performance in FSX was another delightful surprise.

I don't run any AV and I've found that to be my favorite.I've been using the web since '94, and the only thing I've ever contracted was a hijack I got when my teeanager used my computer without asking (man was I ######. It took me 3 hours to get it cleaned off).The best AV is to not let your kids use your computer :-).Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Avast is the one that seemed to have caused my troubles-I have had nothing but smooth stutter free fast loading experience since getting rid of it.-I'll still use it on my other computers that don't have flight sim installed.I really liked the program too-but I like smooth fsx'ing even better!

I also used avast before and can second that.If I disable avast the stutter are gone.Problem is I need a AV program for Vista 64bit and avast is the only free one.

no need to remove it, just add FSX to exception list ==Marten:Weber==P-D920 oc3.64MHz 2GB RAM WinXP ATI X1900+1024MB 2xSATA250 2xVIEWSONIC 19"Need AI? Get AI: www.world-of-ai.com

Hi Geofa,what AV program do you use now?I'm still search for a good AV program which runs on Vista 64 Bit.Thanks in advance.