Sign in to follow this  
coastaldriver

XP12 - Amazing Performance!

Well two weeks into XP12 - several Betas first. This is on an i5-10500 6 core 3.1GHZ - MSI Motherboard and NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super (8GB)  bought this system about two years to run P3D and possible MSFS. It ran P3D perfectly but in terms of performance - no comparison.

XP12 will load in 20 secs to the menu and once a situation has been setup (Plane, location, weather, time of day) the sim program will load and be running within 35 secs. That is with real weather and zone-time correlation checked. 

Simple single, or advanced jet performance is silk smooth (FPS I have no idea but then I have never cared as we cannot see anything with our eyes operating above 22 FPS anyway) no lag, no stutters with view changes or zoom changes. 

Light management is very well done and they have overcome the dreaded dark cockpit problem that plagued LM and P3D continuously and still does with EA and True Sky. No strange haze issues no weird skies. 

Scenery - out of the box default everywhere is excellent in fact hard to see the need for addons unless they are specifically crafted and well done but even stock airports are credible representations. 

Liked the dynamic vegetation and windsocks. Winds sway in the breeze overall the tree and grass is also excellent. 

The accurate runway undulations and slopes - again great. 

Lighting airport wise is excellent as well, unobtrusive but realistic with little of the glare and bloom issues particularly about terminals I had become used to. 

Rain effects - with variable patterns dependent on speed - perfect. 

Rain and water effects (still not sure how they did it) but that see through water at any waters edge, ocean or lake and to see the underlying surface with wave motion - well that is a new a beguiling experience. At altitude water looks fine. 

The default scenery well shows the accumulated work of thousands of XPlaners whose airport scenery is now incorporated into XP12 (Now how big a complement is that).

Overall I found the world represenation mostly believable and accurate and the only blemishes see to come from the use Orthos based on Open Street or its equivalent. 

Addons - hmmmm well they give you a good selection of aeroplanes and apart from a few that were around in FSX/P3D I am more than happy - realism is superb, most models are nicely done and again authentically realistic. 

Inbuilt ground handling complements the crafted dynamically it and mobile airport vehicles and activity day or night. The quality of airport objects and models matches those in the general scenery.

Yes there are a couple of places where there are a few shall we outliers (no that Island is not grass but is covered in trees ) but overall 90%

Yes the ability to have random failures across a range of systems is also very impressive as well. 

Best of all I now have to fly a sim aircraft just like a real aeroplane. 

So I am significantly impressed but the PC performance is something I never thought I would see with a simulator ( 20 secs to go and 30 secs more to go flying - now that is impressive!

I have no need for a weather addon, communication system protocol manager, lighting control maniupulation, shader manipulation and so far the night sky looks correct. I think of the now close to a dozen addons I needed to make P3D work for me and all I can say is well done Laminar - XP12 is a brilliant flight simulator.

Download demands when flying or generally to fly - nil - now how good is that!

Edited by coastaldriver
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Looks as though everything is going well for you after more than a solid 2 weeks of trying it out.

Glad to see you're enjoying it.

Well everyday I discover how good this simulator is - so everyday is fun and  I have no expectations of some code clash bringing it to its knees or causing a CTD. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, coastaldriver said:

Well everyday I discover how good this simulator is

Indeed it is.  You may be surprised to know that a lot of what is in XP12 is because of feedback from testers and developers.  Things we wanted to see in a new flight sim.  

8 minutes ago, coastaldriver said:

so everyday is fun and  I have no expectations of some code clash bringing it to its knees or causing a CTD. 

That's the important thing!  

👍

• Upvote 2

I am waiting for a better performance in VR. I am having 20fps or so with a 9900ks and a RTX 4090 with a Varjo Aero and Reverb G2, medium graphics configuration, while I don't have any issues and all is buttersmooth in other sims. Hope this can be solved in near future.

Edited by Japo32
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Javier Rollon. Owner of JRollon Planes for Xplane

14 minutes ago, Japo32 said:

I am waiting for a better performance in VR. I am having 20fps or so with a 9900ks and a RTX 4090 with a Varjo Aero and Reverb G2, medium graphics configuration, while I don't have any issues and all is buttersmooth in other sims. Hope this can be solved in near future.

Hi Javier

I can't say too much about the VR stuff, but a very big update that addresses VR was given to XP12 testers a few days ago.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Japo32 said:

I am struggling to get a smooth, fluid experience on my 10900K and RX6800 system...it was incredible during the demo...quite fluid, looked great...then in subsequent releases not.

My biggest issue is that even though I’m at like 30-37 FPS the frames kind of stutter along while another leading sim is butter smooth with the occasional hard stutter.

But glad to see the OP is having success as it gives me hope I DO like XP.

40 minutes ago, Republic DC9 said:

I am struggling to get a smooth, fluid experience on my 10900K and RX6800 system...it was incredible during the demo...quite fluid, looked great...then in subsequent releases not.

My biggest issue is that even though I’m at like 30-37 FPS the frames kind of stutter along while another leading sim is butter smooth with the occasional hard stutter.

But glad to see the OP is having success as it gives me hope I DO like XP.

I'll be happy to take a look at your log file to see what could be causing the stutters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoranM said:

I'll be happy to take a look at your log file to see what could be causing the stutters.

Thanks - just sent a PM!

Here's what worries me a bit - I have a relatively new 10900K, but it looks like the clock speeds are really low (it's supposed to go up to 5.0GHZ or whatever, but I wonder if XP12 makes it do that?)   I've thought about trying to overclock but don't want to destroy my machine. 🙂

Windows 10.0 (build 19045/2)
This is a 64-bit version of Windows.
CPU type: 8664
Physical Memory (total for computer): 34277965824
Maximum Virtual Memory (for X-Plane only): 140737488224256
CPU 0: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900K CPU @ 3.70GHz  Speed (mhz): 3696

Agree with most things in the OP, the fast startup is one of the features I love the most given how many times I start a sim to play only for a few minutes before other priorities take over. 
I'll disagree with the following though

5 hours ago, coastaldriver said:

(FPS I have no idea but then I have never cared as we cannot see anything with our eyes operating above 22 FPS anyway)

I might be weird but I can see a major difference between 25 FPS and 50 FPS for example

Scenery - out of the box default everywhere is excellent in fact hard to see the need for addons unless they are specifically crafted and well done but even stock airports are credible representations.

In some area the default scenery is ok-ish but other areas are fairly poor. As an example fly over one of the most famous cities in the worlds, Venice (the one in Italy 🤣) and see how it does not look anything like in real life, even from 10.000 feet.

Light management is very well done and they have overcome the dreaded dark cockpit problem

I don't know, maybe this is a problem on my setup but I have situations where the cockpit of trhe default C172 seems a lot darker than it should be. In some of the previous beta it was a lot better for me.

2 minutes ago, peroni said:

Agree with most things in the OP, the fast startup is one of the features I love the most given how many times I start a sim to play only for a few minutes before other priorities take over. 
I'll disagree with the following though

I might be weird but I can see a major difference between 25 FPS and 50 FPS for example

In some area the default scenery is ok-ish but other areas are fairly poor. As an example fly over one of the most famous cities in the worlds, Venice (the one in Italy 🤣) and see how it does not look anything like in real life, even from 10.000 feet.

I don't know, maybe this is a problem on my setup but I have situations where the cockpit of trhe default C172 seems a lot darker than it should be. In some of the previous beta it was a lot better for me.

The lighting in the cockpit was definitely fixed before 12.00 went final. It was a collaboration in the Slack channel, and it was fine tuned to the point it was unanimously decided the lighting in the cockpit was good to go. So it’s probably something on your end. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Japo32 said:

Same here, and only with XP-12 in VR. No problems with XP-11 or other sims in VR.

Hamilton Müller

After I spent a few weeks with XP11, I went back to FSX and realized how much progress I had missed by spending 15 years on that platform. Visual and sound design aside, the controls and quality of life things like the numpad quick views or a free camera for taking good screenshots were a revelation.

If P3D still feels like FSX in terms of controls, I probably may never be able to touch any FS codebase heritage sim ever again.

8 hours ago, coastaldriver said:

Well everyday I discover how good this simulator is - so everyday is fun and  I have no expectations of some code clash bringing it to its knees or causing a CTD. 

Oh, you can slow XP to a crawl and crash it really easily. Not by inherent limitations, mind you, but a bit of sloppy third party code works wonders.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Agree with the performance.  I am now getting closer and in some cases exceeding my XP11 performance number AFTER  decided to go with wisdom shared in this forum by other users. 

My system i9-9990K OC 5 Ghz, Nvidia 2080TI, HP Reverb G2, SSD NVMe, Win 10 .

I run XP in a single monitor (ultra wide 49") at 3840 x 1080

Plugin/scenery used are Traffic Global, AVI Tab, Orbx TE socal, SFD MisterX KLAX

FPS between 30 and 40 is completely flyable.  Not all FPS are created equal and in XP low FPS can still give better experience than playing other "games" in 60/90 FPS. 

Graphic setup is 

image.png

VR was getting around 30 FPS with SteamVR and HP Reverb G2.  It was pretty smooth and no stuttering. AA is set low so shimmering was present. I tried the OpenXR mod and had lower performance. 

Some screenshot with ZIBO

image.png

X-Plane-Screenshot-2022-12-27-12-04-30-8

image.png

image.png

Again, I am not trying to make an excuse for Laminar Research and I am not fully happy with this either.  However, current XP12 more than usable both in 2D monitor and in VR by select a balanced graphic setting. 

• Upvote 4

System Spec 1: Nvidia RTX 4090,  AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Res 5120x1440, HP Reverb G2
System Spec 2: AMD Radeon RX 7900XT, Intel I-9 9990K, Res 3840x1080, HP Reverb G2

They definitely fixed the in cloud and near cloud performance issues!  The sim runs pretty well - though I hope they continue work on anti aliasing... it seems almost non existent even at 8x msaa.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |